Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by danboyt View Post
    This is really helpful. We have several units that aren't functioning. On the only one I've pulled apart so far, the threaded part of the gear was stripped. I called our Trane dealer a couple of weeks ago asking for a kit just like this but they say they are no longer available. I found the motor and drive gears alcomech mentioned but I'd like to get a few complete kits in. Do you have a source for these kits?

Thanks,

Dan

There isn't a kit per say. I always order the backplate assembly, actuator motor, and capacitor. The part numbers will vary with box size.

This a 8" I just did.......

Name:  20130610084251889.png
Views: 285
Size:  70.4 KB

Thanks!

Slightly off-topic, but highly related... What is the travel time for these actuators? I can't seem to find it in Trane's docs (I don't have the IOM), but we are retrofitting some of these and I want to make sure my floating motor signal is correct. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DWuthrich View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but highly related... What is the travel time for these actuators? I can't seem to find it in Trane's docs (I don't have the IOM), but we are retrofitting some of these and I want to make sure my floating motor signal is correct. Thanks!
    360 seconds is the stroke time. Be careful with retrofit controllers......those VAV's have ends switches, which can wreck some controllers with triacs. You can add some isolation relays or add some TVS diodes. What controllers are you planning on using?

Hi ascj,

Thanks for the quick response to a very old thread! We are using Distech ECB-VAVN controllers (basically the standard issue looking VAV controller without the internal actuator). I've only been using the product line for about six months, so I haven't fully learned it's limitations...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The actuator drive time varies by product:
    Varitrane F Style boxes: 90 seconds
    Varitrane E Style boxes: 360 seconds
    Varitrac: 60 seconds
    Hot water valves: 120 seconds
    This is assuming your using Trane factory actuators, If your retrofitting, example using Belimo actuators. then drive times will very. Most actuators will have there drive time on the actuator.

I'm not sure which version they are, but the 360 second time seems spot on. These are the Varitrane boxes with the actuator inside them that drives the air valve. Apparently totally inaccessible unless you either remove the inlet of the box or cut an access panel in the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone know the wiring for the motor. Just got 4 buildings and found one disconnected

Quote Originally Posted by mattinorange View Post
    Anyone know the wiring for the motor. Just got 4 buildings and found one disconnected
    I believe the have a constant hot and it switches the common on the triacs on the board. In the past we have actually taken the whole guts out and installed a start collar and a round damper with belimo actuator. That seems to be the best all around solution, not to mention cost worthy.

What I have is a 4 wire with 2 commons. But 1 capacitor. I did play with it and got it to work properly but I'm also switching to a delta system as we speak. So that kinda threw a wrench in the works. Is there any literature available for this unit on the wiring. Also I assume the limit switches are normally closed

Quote Originally Posted by mattinorange View Post
    What I have is a 4 wire with 2 commons. But 1 capacitor. I did play with it and got it to work properly but I'm also switching to a delta system as we speak. So that kinda threw a wrench in the works. Is there any literature available for this unit on the wiring. Also I assume the limit switches are normally closed
    I'll send you over something that will help.

I always replace the motor cap, and gear. Problem solved.

"I have had several talks with Trane tech support about it. The local Trane supplier has had me replace the acuator motor, large plastic gear and bushings with hardly any improvement. Trane commercial tech support has no other answers and says they will call me back but don't. They always seem to be uncooperative if you are not a Trane dealer."

Yeah, you and everyone else NOT Trane employee
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12