Thread: Leaky receiver

Leaky receiver

Went to a service call on a one and half year old heatcraft condensing unit running low temp with 404A. Found the unit to be cycling on low pressure due to low charge. Shut unit down put magnet on solenoid valve and pressurized unit to 200psi with nitrogen to leak check. After looking all over piping I was outside by the condensing unit and heard a faint hiss. Soap bubbled unit and found leak in the top of the receiver right in the middle of the steel top. Warranty denied do to being over one year old. Manufacturing defect or am I missing something else here?

And side note how to I add things to my profile?

Quote Originally Posted by Mihvactech View Post
    Went to a service call on a one and half year old heatcraft condensing unit running low temp with 404A. Found the unit to be cycling on low pressure due to low charge. Shut unit down put magnet on solenoid valve and pressurized unit to 200psi with nitrogen to leak check. After looking all over piping I was outside by the condensing unit and heard a faint hiss. Soap bubbled unit and found leak in the top of the receiver right in the middle of the steel top. Warranty denied do to being over one year old. Manufacturing defect or am I missing something else here?

And side note how to I add things to my profile?
    Well, their warranty is a year, so you're kind of stuck there.

The leak, can you tell me more about it? Maybe a picture?

How big is the receiver and how is it attached, are there screws/studs on the top?

Most likely a manufacturing defect.

When heatcraft says One Year Warranty, they mean it. I once called them about something that was literally a week out of warranty. The guy said "our warranty is not one year and a week, its just one year, you must not be able to read, because the book says One Year warranty, NOT One Year And A Week Warranty."

I have seen more than enough Heatcraft receivers with a leak at the inlet weld joint. In fact, when I clicked on this, I was betting that this was the issue you had encountered.

Those aren't that difficult to field repair.

I am wondering if you have opened some sort of over temperature/pressure safety device.

I have a video of it on my phone but am not sure how to post it on here. I am new to this forum and not super fimilar. This was a cold call from a new customer so I can not comment on the systems operation before I arrived. I looked over the tank it is more or less the size of a two litter pop bottle and around a foot tall. There are no mounting screws or tabs on top or pressure or temperature relief's. This is kind of new two me and seems out of the ordinary

I had a leaker at the valve. Just brazed it, problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I have seen more than enough Heatcraft receivers with a leak at the inlet weld joint. In fact, when I clicked on this, I was betting that this was the issue you had encountered.

Those aren't that difficult to field repair.

I am wondering if you have opened some sort of over temperature/pressure safety device.

Might be a fusible plug issue, not all of these have a mechanical pressure/temperature relief

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Might be a fusible plug issue, not all of these have a mechanical pressure/temperature relief
    That was my first thought. If you scrape away the black paint, it is likely you will find something that looks like lead or soft solder. If it is a fusible seal, usually you can see distortions in the paint if you can view it from the right angle.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    That was my first thought. If you scrape away the black paint, it is likely you will find something that looks like lead or soft solder. If it is a fusible seal, usually you can see distortions in the paint if you can view it from the right angle.

I was intentionally being vague.

Go to the supply house and a get a new receiver. Taking the dimensions with you is sufficient information to get a new one. they're not that expensive, probably less than the labor and materials to try to weld it (at least in terms of cost to the customer). Chances are, this is only first of many leaks on the receiver - TJE BEGINNING OF THE END.