+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drop Cloths

Post Likes
    Having suitable drop cloths is IMPORTANT in doing fireplace repairs. I think one of the reasons a lot of furnace repair companies don't do gas fireplace repairs is that techs often just haven't figured out how to do a very dirty job on top of a customer's living room carpet.

I saw Hearthman's ideas in apost he made today, and I think it deserves a thread of it's own:

<<for drop cloths, get a 9'x12' from a paint store that is rubberized on the back. Cut it into two 6x9s. Using a marker, write "up" in the corners so homeowners will know which way to unfold it so the rubber is always down. Gives you a clean side down and doesn't slide on tile or wood floors. You can use a furniture blanket on top of that for padding. I also carry a rubber car fender pad for raise marble hearths and glass door risers. >>

For myself, I favor blankets purchased at thrift shops for $5 or so. I have a good collection of these and they are easily cleaned by running them through my washing machine, one at a time.

They are large enough to do the job, thick enough to prevent soot and debris from penetrating, inexpensive and easy to clean.

But I'll have to check out Hearthman's idea at a paint store. How do you clean your drops, Hearthman?

Seattle Pioneer

Post Likes

Talking cleaning drop cloths

I lay them out in the driveway, hose them down, then scrub with a pole brush from NAPA auto supply ( long, soft bristles). I use citrus based solvent cleaner not too strong, lots of scrubbing then rise and hang out on clothes lines and fences.

I quit using canvas drop cloths after a case where a student technician set a sooted up log on the drop cloth. I immediately vacuumed it up and lifted the cloth only to see a big dark spot on the very expensive white carpet. Luckily, it came out with lots of vacuuming directly. We tried blankets but you cannot spot holes in them easily the way you can with the rubberized canvas. Also, you always have the same clean side down. Some techs use black drop cloths and I've used black furniture blankets but on top of this canvas sheet. I have seen techs accidentally step into a pile of soot only to track it across the floor.

BTW, I have some friends who had their logo silk screened on their drop cloths. Their firey red socks are emblazoned" Got Flame?" so the homeowners can read their feet as they work. Yes, around Philly, you AlWAYS remove your shoes upon entering a home. No exceptions and no booties. If you don't remove them, you'll buy a few rugs whether your fault or not.

Post Likes
    <<I also carry a rubber car fender pad for raise marble hearths and glass door risers. >>

Ever had bursitis? It's an inflammation of the ligaments/tendons in between the knee joints. Equisitely painful. Using kneee pads can help avoid it, but I usually don't bother untill the next bursitis attack.

Sounds like you are smarter than me if you use those pads regularly!

Seattle Pioneer

Post Likes
    Our place buys the disposable ones by the box.
    They get too dirty and just throw them in the trash.
    Who's got time to wash drop cloths?
    Well I guess maybe we all do if we're spending so much time here. LOL

Post Likes
    I've still got the 2x4 one the co issued about 30 years ago & I used it at my sister-in-laws just a couple ofdays ago.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in