fuel oil tank additive

Good morning,

I'm having troubles with a nozzle clogging up on a mobile home furnace. Nozzle size is a .60/80 degree. I have changed the oil filter, cleaned the dirt leg at the tank. The new nozzle clogged up the next day and then again 4 weeks later. What am I missing. Will a additive help me? thank you
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

I've never used the additives for oil furnaces, but I would expect it to work like carb cleaner additives in old motorcycles that I do have experience with. If the tank and lines are very dirty it actually makes the problems worse breaking up the stuff that has settled out and your changing filters and nozzles many times before you get it clean. I would check the filter just to verify that its the correct size and not being bypassed somehow. Then check the screen at the pump they get dirty and can be cleaned. If the line can be accessed, replace it. If not clean it with thinner or brake cleaner and compressed air.

stick the tank to see how much "sludge" is in the tank. with mobile homes i always try to draw from the top of the tank. if it has alot of junk in it, you may need to drain it and clean it out. they make a chemical to do this and it works well. depending on the furnace model you may have room to relocate the filter to inside the cabinet. i generaly just eliminate them all together if possible. if you decide to use any kind of pressure to clean the line be sure you diconnect it from the tank. i have seen this go very very bad more than once. just a few simple tips for ya. you may already know them but i know how easy it is to forget.

Lean the tank slightly opposite of the supply outlet to let sludge go to back of tank. Additive helps break down water in tank. You can add rubbing alcohol, I have been told.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

how old is the tank? is it outside?

the tank is outside, the filter is in the crawlspace. About four foot of oil line from filter to furnace. Single line, gravity from tank. tank is about 12 years old.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

12 years is not terrible but if left unused for long periods of time the sludge tends to form. I had one that was clogged terribly,even the supply line was half full of sludge. I would take apart the supply line and do a visible inspection. If it is half full of sludge you may be better off just replacing it. The tank can be cleaned but it's a pain and messy.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

in the 'olden days' when i was working on oil burners , the oil suppliers would come and pump out your trouble tank for a small fee and you can clean or replace it.....the oil suppliers would work with you for a replacement tank....go for a new filter and line and forget about it...Jack
    B[COLOR=a friend is one who knows us , but loves us anyway

I use 4 in 1 HOT. gets ride of the water and the bacteria that eat the oil and poop the slug. Did a 4 year test on resi. furnaces I service. Slime and such was gone from the in line filters by 4 years. I take it you have replaced the pump strainer unless it is a webster pump. They are using kerosene and not #2 fuel oil I hope. May say on the furnace #2 but don't use it.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back