+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Underground chilled water pipes

Post Likes

Underground chilled water pipes

I have to embed around 15 meters of chilled water supply and return lines. I will give them min two coates to epoxy paint, insulate them with rigid fiber glass pipe insulation having vapor barrier over it, and finally wrap around the whole length with denso tape. Please do share if I have missed something. *I have read somewhere that pipe should be painted with two coats of zinc chromate, does it give a better protection against moisture. Thanks

Post Likes

Sleeve for chilled water pipe !

Does an underground chilled water pipe entering a building through grade beam or a wall require any kind of pipe sleeve. If so, what should be the material of the sleeve if the pipe entering is carbon steel, Sch 40. Thanks

Post Likes
    Merged your threads on this, and moved them to Tech to Tech.

Post Likes
    I would definitely install a sleeve at the building entrance and as far as the zinc chromate is concerned it can't hurt but just make sure no moisture can get to the pipe.

Post Likes
    Have you considered using pre-insulated pipe such as Perma pipe or Ricwil.

I have made my own using standard Sch 40 PVC pipe and polyurethane foam which is available as a two part mixture and is used to insulate piping.

As for the penetration through a wall this is normally required and also requires a link seal for expansion and water seal.

Post Likes
    @Alcomech - pre insulted pipes are not in much use here. Usually it's the PVC or Carbon Steel that we use for the embedded lengths of pressure pipes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in