I went out on a no heat for a vent free fireplace today. Unit was 10yrs old. Sealed unit. I had 243mv at thermopile. Gas valve not opening.
So I start tearing it apart to replace the thermopile. The pilot assembly is under the logs. And the logs are screwed to the base. I disconnected the gas line and removed the entire assembly out. Gas valve, burner, logs, pilot and base all in one piece. The pilot is still not accessible. I did get the pilot out and thermopile changed but this was ridiculous.
The pilot was not accessible from under the unit. Nor could I just remove the logs.
In hindsight I think I should have vacuumed up the gravel to see and access the screws easily. If I had done that I may have found that the logs and the base it was attached to would have slid forward enough to access the pilot assembly.
This is the first fireplace I have worked on where the logs didn't just rest over the burners.
All in all it was a good learning experience.