+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: roll-out tripping!

Post Likes
    jump what out?

Post Likes
    Oh boy, I think he took you serious....

Post Likes
    I forgot what the orinal problem was no I didn't, but I was confused about what he was talking about, it wouldn't do much for the puddle of water, either.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frustraded tech View Post
    follow up...........first of all thank you to all for your feedback it has helped me a lot. so customer called today saying he found water on the floor near the furnace and water heater, the water heater is only 2 year old and I told them I would be right over (even though its my bday) hehe, because of course I assumed that I had forgoten to tighten a clam or to put back a hose or whatever but the top of the cabinet was bone dry and the water is dripping from the rail for the blower motor and I am assuming is carrying on the rail from just under the exchanger then to the front, now could the of been a hairline crack that just open up in the secondary HE I was not able to put my Combustion analizer on it but if water is leaking the exchanger its a no brainer right??
    Stop assuming, and check the secondary with a good mirror and flashlight. Pull that blower motor and get your head right in there. The plastic secondary connection always cracks on these.

Post Likes
    plastic? you mean collector box? that was inspected and look fine at the time. why would it be dry on top if that was leaking. I have also taken the blower and looked at the secondary (before the leak) and could see much but I was actually cheching that it was no plugged not for cracks.

Post Likes
    Secondary HE will be replaced customer is debating about primary since it might not be under warranty.

Post Likes
    the "saga" continues, received the secondary yesterday, so we proceeded to change it today when I pulled it out I found 2 rings from the clam shell of the primary and proceeded to pull that out and visually inspected found a total of 6 rings busted out, so the primary will have to be replaced. Then I needed to make sure the secondary is in fact cracked or leaking and the only thing I could think of doing was to stand it with the bends towards the bottom and fill the tubes with water and let it sit for a while and had no water leakeage at all now the dillema is where was the water coming from? and obviusly why wasn't my combustion analizer registering CO in the conditioned air dam thing is brand new and for $2K you'd think it be calibrated..........
    Last edited by frustraded tech; 12-14-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Likes
    the "saga" continues, received the secondary yesterday, so we proceeded to change it today when I pulled it out I found 2 rings from the clam shell of the primary and proceeded to pull that out and visually inspected found a total of 6 rings busted out, so the primary will have to be replaced. Then I needed to make sure the secondary is in fact cracked or leaking and the only thing I could think of doing was to stand it with the bends towards the bottom and fill the tubes with water and let it sit for a while and had no water leakeage at all now the dillema is where was the water coming from? and obviusly why wasn't my combustion analizer registering CO in the conditioned air dam thing is brand new and for $2K you'd think it be calibrated..........
    An analyzer will not pick up CO in the supply air when the heat exchanger is cracked. There is nothing wrong with the analyzer, don't bother testing the supply air for CO, it doesn't tell you anything about how safe the furnace is.

Post Likes
    6 busted rings and it wasn't noticed on the first visit, this is why when I go to a new customer they get upset when I find stuff like that and they say it gets checked every year. Thank you for all the loyal customers they're the ones that don't get estimates from other companies and they stay with us forever.

Post Likes
    it always did in the past same analizer model, has a screen for flue and conditioned air. selection for gas type etc...

Post Likes
    it's not like i didn't test for it, that has been my diagnosis from the begining but I frustrated because could not prove or document it!

Post Likes
    Just a thought...I have seen faulty roll out switches. I had a 90plus furnace kick my butt for a week, changed the switch and never had another issue with it. Luckily it was a friends system.

Post Likes
    Try measuring the temps at the roll out It shouldnt be even close to the trip temp

Post Likes
    Roll out switch tripping on the H9mpd series furnaces is usually the result of a problem with the secondary heat exchanger. There was a problem with the oil used when the heat exchanger was formed. It would react with acid from the flue gases and form a thick sludge that pluged the tubes in the exchanger. It required removal of the cold header box and the turbulators and then working a wire with a rag attached thru each tube till they were clear. A messy and time consuming job but it would get the furnace working. Worse case would be a cracked secondary heat exchanger although I have not found one yet.

Post Likes
    we found 6 rings busted out, plus first post explained that we switched the roll-outs and the unit kept tripping on the same spot not the switch.

Post Likes
    upon inspection this exchanger was very clean small buildup @ the bottom where the transfer box to the secondary bolts on.

Post Likes
    this particular unit did not have any sludge what so ever!

Post Likes
    Just cause you have a crack doesn't mean co in condition space

Post Likes
    CO rots steel! Any CO. If you have pulled a water heater burner covered with flakes of rust, you have seen CO at work. I concur with the flakes in the secondary. ALSO; you mentioned the Delta T being high. Perhaps a restricted duct? What is the External static on the system?

sorry, forgot to mention that has been done the flue readings where about 89% efficiency 122F & 6.2 CO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    CO rots steel! Any CO. If you have pulled a water heater burner covered with flakes of rust, you have seen CO at work.
    The acidic condensate during cold opperation rusts the steel, not CO. Before the discovery of natural gas, CO from coal gasification was delivered through the same steel gas lines for lighting coal burners and it did not rot them out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in