CO issue with new gas furnace - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You need a qualified CO expert to look at the furnace. Does the new boiler and water heater vent into the same pipe?

You may have a new atmospheric boiler that has a draft hood. You could have such a high draft in the flue pipe which is creating a curtain/eddy effect which is making the boiler spill into the room. Your old boiler had a barometric damper with no draft hood. This made the boiler vent happily up the flue pipe. The fix to your issue would have a qualified CO/Combustion technician get rid of the draft hood and install a barometric damper with a spill switch to the new boiler and water heater.

I would also invest in a low level CO monitor. I would turn your appliances off until then.

Thanks for the reply. There is not separate hot water heater -- it is an indirect one running off another zone. The boiler, a Burnham ES2, is atmospheric and is connected to the existing, relined chimney. The flue damper is motorized. Since I have left the door to the utility area open I have had a zero reading on my new CO detector and zero from the fire department's more sophisticated one.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    You need a qualified CO expert to look at the furnace. Does the new boiler and water heater vent into the same pipe?

You may have a new atmospheric boiler that has a draft hood. You could have such a high draft in the flue pipe which is creating a curtain/eddy effect which is making the boiler spill into the room. Your old boiler had a barometric damper with no draft hood. This made the boiler vent happily up the flue pipe. The fix to your issue would have a qualified CO/Combustion technician get rid of the draft hood and install a barometric damper with a spill switch to the new boiler and water heater.

I would also invest in a low level CO monitor. I would turn your appliances off until then.

Th potential for trouble still exists if something as simple as closing a door gives rise to generating carbon monoxide.
    DO NOT TAKE YOUR SAFETY FOR GRANTED.
    You need to have your system inspected by someone trained in combustion analysis to provide a permanent solution.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-24-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

another thing is a co detector relies on humidity to carry the co to the detector!!!!

pwilliams, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-25-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member, no warning for apologizing

Quote Originally Posted by pwilliams View Post

Nope, not even allowed to apologize in someone else's thread. Please don't respond again.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12