Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 41
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,750
    Quantumstate, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,896
    The Goodman communicating system is similar to Rheem/Ruud's system... a good system.

    I would definitely use the larger coil with Goodman, be sure you get an all aluminum coil... and I would upgrade to Amana... you get a better warranty for the same hardware and you get access to a 10 yr labor warranty.

    Plan to have annual service on the system; HP's and especially high SEER units need regular cleaning.

    Sounds like you are gonna have a nice system.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    I know the oversized coils preform but putting a 3.5t on a 2t unit to get to 8.5hspf and 15 seer will kill latent cao when i looked at ratings goodman reached 9 hsPf on the 16 seer single stage ho written only a 2.5 ton coil. Performance above 40f was over a cop of 4 i think.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,942
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    +1. IF you have propane, dual fuel all the way for sure. The effciency of heat pumps is actually slightly lower in 1st stage, so you don't gain much with 2 stage. 2 stage is more for comfort and effciency in cooling than heating.
    I assume you mean 1st stage(low stage) is HIGHER efficiency, all equipment that I have seen shows much higher COP ratings.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    48
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.


    Please take a moment to review the AOP Forum rules.

    THE ONLY PEOPLE allowed to REPLY in the Owner Assistance Forums will be a Pro Member with a * by their user title and the one who started the thread. No others may post a reply.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-07-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: non AOP member

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,400
    Quantumstate

    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

    You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

    Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I assume you mean 1st stage(low stage) is HIGHER efficiency, all equipment that I have seen shows much higher COP ratings.
    In cooling yes, but in heating ive looked at carrier, york and geocomfort and with all, teh cop is higher in high stage than low stage in heating. I think Beenthere explained it once. In heating I think the higher mass flow of refrigerant has an advantage plus running on a fixed orifice not a txv has something to do with it.

    It still nice for comfort and teh efficiency gained from long run times and more eventemperatures provides some effiency. A dual fuel size right with a 2 stage furnace in a cold climate should run almost continously under about 45f in any one of the 4 stages of heat.

    Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,896
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I know the oversized coils preform but putting a 3.5t on a 2t unit to get to 8.5hspf and 15 seer will kill latent cao when i looked at ratings goodman reached 9 hsPf on the 16 seer single stage ho written only a 2.5 ton coil. Performance above 40f was over a cop of 4 i think.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I know intuition suggests latent capacity suffers with over-sized coils... however field experience does not always agree. Do you think AHRI is ignoring this?

    And now just for fun, I will ask you the same question you asked me: How many of these have you installed?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,896
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    In cooling yes, but in heating ive looked at carrier, york and geocomfort and with all, teh cop is higher in high stage than low stage in heating. I think Beenthere explained it once. In heating I think the higher mass flow of refrigerant has an advantage plus running on a fixed orifice not a txv has something to do with it.

    It still nice for comfort and teh efficiency gained from long run times and more eventemperatures provides some effiency. A dual fuel size right with a 2 stage furnace in a cold climate should run almost continously under about 45f in any one of the 4 stages of heat.

    Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2
    I will agree that running higher pressures will produce higher heat transfer... regardless of whether one is heating or cooling.

    OTOH: I do not think you said this, however: there is NO way a piston is going to perform better than a TXV.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    I thought the TXV is bypassed in heating mode and is metered by a fixed orifice when flow is reversed.

    Eer is based on total capacity to total Watts. Larger indoors coils always increase output with a less that proportional increase in Watts although its diminishing returns at some point.

    A larger coil surface with similar BTUs means a warmer coil which equals higher dewpoints. Standard ahri conditions do not reflect ideal indoor comfort. It also takes longer to wet a larger coil so in part load conditions moisture removal suffers. So them you run airflow lower giving up the shadowy gains our find the temp nerds to be set lower for comfort




    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,158
    Most 14SEER+ units are TXV anyways. Many have 2 TXVs one in the condenser, the other at the coil. I'd go single stage, I don't think 2 stage is worth the money.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,896
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I thought the TXV is bypassed in heating mode and is metered by a fixed orifice when flow is reversed.

    Eer is based on total capacity to total Watts. Larger indoors coils always increase output with a less that proportional increase in Watts although its diminishing returns at some point.

    A larger coil surface with similar BTUs means a warmer coil which equals higher dewpoints. Standard ahri conditions do not reflect ideal indoor comfort. It also takes longer to wet a larger coil so in part load conditions moisture removal suffers. So them you run airflow lower giving up the shadowy gains our find the temp nerds to be set lower for comfort




    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    In a HP installation, there are two metering devices... one at each end (indoor coil and outdoor coil). The indoor coil TXV meters for cooling and the outdoor TXV meters for heating. Each is a 'bypass' design TXV... that meaning when refrigerant flows in one direction it is metered, when it flows in the other direction it bypasses. One of the issues we had with higher SEER equipment when it first came out was bypass TXV's (most supply houses only stock coils with bypass... it is less inventor issues). The bypass in some Chinese TXV's (read that cheap) would not close during AC mode... thus not allowing adequate cooling and less humidity control.

    Agree with EER... agree about diminishing returns also. This is why larger indoor coil sizing needs to be based on both AHRI matching as well as experience.

    Ah yes grasshopper... yet you are not factoring in the ramping profiles of ECM motors... both at startup AND at shutdown... There is more to this than what is apparent... and what the books claim is not always correct in teh field... just one of those things.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hiram, Ohio
    Posts
    214
    I will check the part numbers on what my guy is planning on, but I am pretty sure it was going to be a matched unit... that is a 3 ton inside and out. And I was under the impression that since Goodman bought Amana (or vise-versa) that the warranty was the same? In reading stuff on this forum, I think I saw that I should have a TXV on both the cond and evap... My installer has a TXV listed, but only one... I assume there is one built in to the condenser? Why isn't there one built into the evap too if it is needed? thanks, Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event