Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Daikinís VRVIII system

I'm the maintenance supervisor for a small university. We have started changing our old 1920's steam heating systems to ground source heat pump systems a building at a time,But real estate available for wells is in short supply.

We are looking to renovate a residentís hall that is 55,000 sq ft, 5 floors, containing 180 room. We had a contractor tell us about the Daikinís VRVIII system as a better choice for heating and cooling.
    Can anyone tell me if the Daikins systems is a good substitution for a ground source system?

Thanks

What kind of tonnage of ac and btus of heat are you thinking you will need?? That many square feet would require a lot of systems. If I remember right, with a Daikin you can only put 3 modules together to make 40 tons.

Thread relocated to AOP

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    What kind of tonnage of ac and btus of heat are you thinking you will need?? That many square feet would require a lot of systems. If I remember right, with a Daikin you can only put 3 modules together to make 40 tons.
    Iím sure we will use multiple zones on each floor if not individual room units. Total tonnage may be somewhere around 150.

I see you are from Mid Mo. We are in Fayette.

To the admisistrator thanks for redirecting the thread.

Interesting thread, I do not install this kind of system, however do use Daiken products at a small level.

If I were in your shoes, I would find a second co that makes this kind of product, and get them working with each other to inform you of all the details.

As I understand; Mitsubishi makes a line called 'city' that is similar.

Please keep us informed as to how this turns out.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Ya the Mitsu multi city is the other one we have. Seems they both work well, like most things in this trade, as long as they are installed correctly.

If you are from Fayette, you might consider getting a bid from TMI out of STL. I think they are the biggest Daikin guys around here.

I'm actually not too far from you at the Lake of the Ozarks!

We are doing a 300 bed residence right now using Mitsubishi city multi.

Both the Daikinís and Mitsubishi look interesting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2Xp5xDXYM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2C6pP9Jzs
    But in our application with all rooms being exterior with very little interior spaces except hallways we will be either in heating or cooling modes
    With ground source I like the idea of storing energy in the wells, (Cold) when heating and the (Warmth) when cooling. With either the Daikinís or the Mitsubishi, energy, whichever heat or cold is blown off to the atmosphere. Down side to ground source cost of insulation and long term payback. The Mitsubishi system talks about savings in installation using the special valve box where Daikinís uses a third pipe.
    Looks like when it comes down to it, Its all about the $$$$. And the time required to install.

Be interesting to see how the costs vs payback compare... Small shops like me do not get to see much about these BIG systems... they are interesting though.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I'm afraid that in our case either the Daikinís or the Mitsubishi system will be nothing more than a air to air heat pump system given the fact that all the rooms will be exterior. Attached is a floor layout showing the proposed addition. Again this is a 5 story building, no basement, 55,000 sq ft.Original structure built in the 1850ís, little to no insulation. It does have new double pain windows.
    Name:  test2.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  40.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 50Panhead View Post
    I'm afraid that in our case either the Daikinís or the Mitsubishi system will be nothing more than a air to air heat pump system given the fact that all the rooms will be exterior. Attached is a floor layout showing the proposed addition. Again this is a 5 story building, no basement, 55,000 sq ft.Original structure built in the 1850ís, little to no insulation. It does have new double pain windows.
    Name:  test2.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  40.2 KB
    For individual room control.....
    The Mitsu or Dalkin may be a little pricey?
    Compaired to "other" systems.
    They can (heat pump) heat and cool at the same time.
    You will have to look at the insulation factor also..
    Interesting, we have only used them for smaller projects, like a fire house.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Our prefered system would be ground source heat pumps. The size of the building (doing some rough math) would require around 67 wells 400 feet deep and about 36 heat pumps of about 4 tons each.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-11-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast