+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bryant furnaces

Post Likes

Bryant furnaces

Anyone else having a problem with cracked collector boxes from the factory in the new line of Bryant/Carrier or other icp furnaces?

Post Likes
    Thread relocated to "Tech to Tech"

Post Likes
    yes. it's an issue across the board on some carrier, bryant and payne models that i know os.

Post Likes
    Yep, as a matter of fact had one today. New ICP only 3 months old!! It had a small stress crack on the left side.

Post Likes
    We have had close to 15 so far, not including the ones we have to go back and check, another dealer in the area has at least the same, serial numbers are from late in 2011 until week 41 of this year 2012, when they started installing the rubber washers, I heard ICP had sent out a statement to wholesalers

Post Likes
    I went to a Carrier training class on heat pumps and the trainer acknowledged that they were having issues with this. He said it was caused by over tightening during assembly. He also said to contact the supply house and they will provide a replacement for free. Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pompey.magnus View Post
    Anyone else having a problem with cracked collector boxes from the factory in the new line of Bryant/Carrier or other icp furnaces?
    Yes, in our class the instructor said some of the furnaces before the 29 th week of 2012 , had some problems with them cracking, some bad enough to cause pressure switch fault codes on the base model furnace, but not the 59mn7 modulating furnace.

Post Likes
    I just did a search to look into this. I've had two leakers so far this winter...one was cracked and one was not. I think some may just be getting warped and not having the gasket seal properly.

To add insult to injury, I just checked MY OWN 59 series Carrier and...it's not leaking, but there's a stress crack forming in the lower left corner of the collector.

I know what my boss is ordering for me tomorrow...

Post Likes
    Is there a labor allowance being it's an assembly/part issue?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    I might pop up in my attic and check mine. 59TN installed in June No pressure switch faults yet. Probably won't get any since the venting is so short... 60k with 10' of 2" with only 2 elbows.

Post Likes
    Guess I better start checking into this since we are Bryant dealers ourselves. Thanks for the heads up I will start looking closer on this on my tune ups

Post Likes
    The problem is on the new style furnaces with the serial numbers dated from late 2011 up until week 39-40 of 2012, my sales rep has down played the issue , we've had over 20 so far payne and bryant and know other dealers in my area have had the same issue... my bryant sales rep and a representative from my wholesaler said to my staff that they didn't want to put out a service bulletin because they didn't want to be overwhelmed by warranties.

Post Likes
    Just changed mine out. It had *three* cracks in it.

All like this. None were dripping, but all were wet.

At least it's easy to change. Carrier says tighten the new screws to 12 in/lb so I did with my TS30.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in