Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

School district HVAC control techs

Hey out there!

I'd like to see if there are any other Controls guys out there in a similar circumstance...

I work for a school district that maintains 162 schools with more being built.
    In our HVAC shop, we have 4 control guys...that means 2 with lots of DDC experience, one in training (doing very well) and one pneumatic expert who's trying to learn DDC. The rest of our shop consists of 2 boiler guys, 2 refrig guys and the balance is pipefitters with primarily construction backgrounds.

About 70 or more schools are strictly old pneumatic, waiting on DDC someday. The rest of the schools have every conceivable mix of DDC and DDC over pneumatic you can think of! We seem to have every generation of JCI controllers and lots of NCM's, FX-JACEs and NAE's. We also have 15 schools with ALC, couple with KMC, couple with Siemens and one with DELTA. We have many schools with a mix of systems too!

I've heard of other school districts zoning there people into quadrants of their district. We don't, we take care of any of our schools, everywhere and we're very spread out.

I personally love my job 'cause I'm never bored! But it seems that we could use a couple more control guys...

Looking forward to hearing back!

[QUOTE=basparky;14654061]Hey out there!

I'd like to see if there are any other Controls guys out there in a similar circumstance...
    [QUOTE]

Sounds like you've got your hands full.

I am the only control guy at my school district. We have 21 campuses (k-12), 3000+ modules and all ALC propriatary. I am also the energy manager which is actually wearing 2 hats now - energy management and building automation.

We used to have JC, Honeywell, Circon and even some name I've never heard of but we put in the capital projects several years back to prioritize everything to ALC.

Just my opinion. We tried zoning hvac work due to physical size (45-60 min trip from one end to the other). Some pro's about it were reduced travel time and they would be required to stay and be responsible in that one area. Some cons about it were when other techs went behind them they would talk smack if they did shoddy work. That sort of helped "police" each other plus since there is different equipment they could be cross trained.

Is the reason you have so many different control systems because age and low bid?

Thanks for the response!
    Yep, its both age and low bid.... can't seem to get it across to the Project Managers, etc how important it would be to spec one manufacturer. I think we are slowly getting to that, but in the meantime...

Quote Originally Posted by basparky View Post
    Hey out there!

I work for a school district that maintains 162 schools with more being built.
    In our HVAC shop, we have 4 control guys...that means 2 with lots of DDC experience, one in training (doing very well) and one pneumatic expert who's trying to learn DDC. The rest of our shop consists of 2 boiler guys, 2 refrig guys and the balance is pipefitters with primarily construction backgrounds.

About 70 or more schools are strictly old pneumatic, waiting on DDC someday. The rest of the schools have every conceivable mix of DDC and DDC over pneumatic you can think of! We seem to have every generation of JCI controllers and lots of NCM's, FX-JACEs and NAE's. We also have 15 schools with ALC, couple with KMC, couple with Siemens and one with DELTA. We have many schools with a mix of systems too!

I've heard of other school districts zoning there people into quadrants of their district. We don't, we take care of any of our schools, everywhere and we're very spread out.

I personally love my job 'cause I'm never bored! But it seems that we could use a couple more control guys...

Looking forward to hearing back!
    A 162 schools in one district, now that's a school district! Good luck.

It always amazes me how simple it is to pick and prove the savings and forethought of choosing to simplify HVAC systems by using the same equipment over and over again and how stupid our civic offices are that they cannot see the long view of this. Then they try to preach looking to the future and what laws or choices they make now will be to our benefit in the future.

I use to work at DFW International Airport and it had multiple system in the same terminal let alone in different terminals. So yes, it is very common.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

From what I know in the late 90's Jefferson County took low bid regardless of brand and tried to do a large quantity of projects over the summer. So many at some times that I wondered how they could physically be commissioned properly given the limited resources and overtime being worked just to get the install completed. After that they are turned over to a short handed staff at the school district who I never thought would have the time to properly tune a new system or find issues that were undiscovered at startup much less become knowledgeable enough in the various brands to be comfortable troubleshooting them. Zoning may help with travel time but probably means more bodies are needed which generally are not approved for hire in these economic times.

I also work for a large school dist. here we do do HVAC and control i see your frustration we used to have many different kind of EMS and havc units we asked
    our management to put in inspect of put only one or two EMS system also the same
    for A/C units we have along way. i used to go around one roof top i would fine
    many different kind of units, communicating with higher management paid off
    for us.

Brian ? Is that you ?

controlgeek, did you just assume because he lists lakewood he works for Jeffco ? I suspect he works for a different School District.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Oh I have no idea what district was being referenced. I was just relating my experience at Jeffco in the late 90's. I had a similar experience at DPS & Littleton districts.

The problem with the sole source of control product is the non competitive bidding that results. Control prices will go through the roof if you do not have a competitive bidding environment. I have seen it happen.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billcontrols View Post
    The problem with the sole source of control product is the non competitive bidding that results. Control prices will go through the roof if you do not have a competitive bidding environment. I have seen it happen.

Bill
    You're right on that one. You have to definately weigh out your options. Sometimes we would do "best value bids" instead of low bid or propriatary where we scored options (cost, specifications, shipping, availability, vender references, service, roi, reliability, etc). Each category was given a score and the highest score won. That's oversimplified of course but we got what we needed w/o bid protests. That could be an option to propriatary or low bid.

Anyway you look at it 162 schools is a big ship to change course. What do you see as your prefered controls if you had the option of changing them all out?

Sounds like your a little understaffed.Where I am at we cover 2 milion square feet with five hvac techs,three plumbers,three electricians,and 1 handyman.All buildings within walking distance.

The problem with so many different systems is you can't be an expert on all of them. I would have a tech specialize on one or two systems while still being able to backup the other techs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast