Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane Questions

Trane Questions

- Anyone know whether the XL20i is EnergyStar?

- Whether the XC95m or XV95 furnaces are EnergyStar?

- Why the XV95 is more efficient than the XC95m, even as it is quite a bit cheaper?

- Why there are four different certs for the XV95 TUH2B060A9V3VA with XL20i 4TWZ0036B?

- What the difference is between evaps 4TXFH036CZ3 and 4TXCC007CC3? Is one newer/better?

- In the '80's there were tons of problems with aluminum evaps because it is so hard to seal aluminum to copper, especially with thermal expansion. How has Trane solved that? Why isn't there electrogalvanic corrosion?

Twilly says what does the Trane site say?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

The Trane site don't say nothin' about my questions. Nor does anywhere else. That's why I ask.

To get Energy Star, an A/C has to be 14.50 SEER and 12.00 EER. I would guess most matches of the 20i would qualify. HP wise, HSPF of 8.2 or greater.

A furnace has to be 90% efficient in a southern state and 95% efficient in a northern state. Also the electrical usage has to be 2% or less of total energy used. Usually if a furnace has an ECM high efficiency blower motor it qualifies. The XV95 and XC95m do.

The XV95 is 2 stage variable speed. The XC95m has modulating fire and is communicating. That will greatly raise the price of the product.

There are 4 ratings for the furnace/pump combo because Trane rated the system with 4 different coils. The best option for upflow/downflow is the 4TXCB004 as it matches the 17" furnace. Or if horizontal, you get a hair more SEER out of the slab coil, 4TXFH. So the answer to your coil question is the type of coil with TXC being cased A coil and TXFH being horizontal slab.

Twilly says Baldloonie wrote the book.

Twilly says the Trane site does say though, just saying.

Irrespective of what Twilly says, thank you BaldLoonie. (why isn't there ever a jpsmith1cm around when you need him?)(And I have found no answers to my questions on the Trane site - please direct me)

But qualifying for EnergyStar and being accepted for EnergyStar are different. Puget Sound Energy (WA) gives a significant rebate for EnergyStar appliances, and so it matters. AHRI's EnergyStar function for heat pumps does not seem to work AFAICT, and it has no choice for furnaces. I can't find any evidence that these are actually accepted as EnergyStar. This will be upflow.

On AHRI when I pulled up V95 TUH2B060A9V3VA with XL20i 4TWZ0036B it gave four certs, and yes one was with a different coil, but the other three were with all the same equipment. This is why I ask. Are they for different geographic regions or something?

So even as the XV95 is more efficient, it is cheaper; and these are what matters. Although it cannot do dual-fuel with the ComfortLink II thermostat? Can the ComfortLink II in fact control the XV95 for max efficiency? If not, is there a better t-stat?

It appears that the 4TXCB004 is only 4k BTU? There is nothing on the Trane site anywhere about coil specs, and the only way I got any numbers is from the AHRI site in Systems.

Is there any place where I can look at tech specs for the various Trane coils? Have there been any studies done on the copper-to-aluminum connection lately? These had a really bad reputation years ago.

On AHRI when I pulled up V95 TUH2B060A9V3VA with XL20i 4TWZ0036B it gave four certs, and yes one was with a different coil, but the other three were with all the same equipment. This is why I ask. Are they for different geographic regions or something?

I see 4 certificates for the 60k XV95 and 3 ton XL20i heat pump. All four are with different coils.

So even as the XV95 is more efficient, it is cheaper; and these are what matters. Although it cannot do dual-fuel with the ComfortLink II thermostat? Can the ComfortLink II in fact control the XV95 for max efficiency? If not, is there a better t-stat?

Yes, with a relay panel it can. But why buy all that expensive equipment and then lose the communicating capability you paid a premium for? If not using the communicating features, might as well use a VisionPRO IAQ thermostat or similar.

It appears that the 4TXCB004 is only 4k BTU? There is nothing on the Trane site anywhere about coil specs, and the only way I got any numbers is from the AHRI site in Systems.

The 004 doesn't mean 4k btu -- that would be a 1/3 ton coil. Just newer nomenclature Trane started using for the 4TXC coils. If I recall correctly the 004 is a 3 ton coil.

Is there any place where I can look at tech specs for the various Trane coils? Have there been any studies done on the copper-to-aluminum connection lately? These had a really bad reputation years ago.

Go to Trane's commercial site. You can find product literature there.

On coil sizing, for the super efficient coils, Trane did what Carrier did with air handlers: use a random number. That way people aren't obsessing on a "60" coil on a "36" outdoor unit which sometimes is needed.

Oh dear, sure enough they are different coils. Good to know about the numbering, but there has to be some way of evaluating and comparing. The closest I can come on Trane Commercial is here. A search on specific coil numbers, only brings up lists of ARI ratings, which I believe are already on the AHRI site. The only way I was able to get any coil numbers at all was on the AHRI site, which took an intellectual leap to establish, not Trane's. Why is there no provision on Tran's site to evaluate and compare coils? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Yes, with a relay panel it can. But why buy all that expensive equipment and then lose the communicating capability you paid a premium for? If not using the communicating features, might as well use a VisionPRO IAQ thermostat or similar.
    This is exactly what I'm struggling with. The XV95 is actually more efficient than the XC95m (according to AHRI), and if he goes with that and the XL20i, the only thing in the system that's communicating is the heat pump. There can be no dual-fuel coordination or variable gas, so why not go for the best regular thermostat? (VisionPRO IAQ?) Why spend all the extra money for a communicating furnace, when it is actually --less efficient--?

The reson Trane does not list coil Numbers on there site is because to many options to list.

Trane sites just shows you highlights of their products. They show air handlers and furnaces for a customer to review over to get a picture of what there system will look like.

The site will never show you a matched system as it shouldn't because to many variables for matching systems up. That is left up to your dealer as we should be able to help you chose the right system matchup for your home.

What does you dealer say about the match ups? Is he or she suggesting one over the other and why? This are important questions to ask. I good dealer will apply to answer all this questions and ensure you that you will be getting the best matched system for your home.

I noted way above in this thread what the dealer says. Do I have to say again that I am trying to double-check and make sure my son is getting the best? And that I have to ensure he will be eligible for the tax credit? This is why I am doing all this.

OK there are hundreds of thousands of combinations, so the only real option is the AHRI site. So I get evap numbers like 4TXCB004CC3, 4TXCC005CC3, 4TXCC007CC3, and 4TXFH036CZ3... these are just numbers. I have no way of understanding their individual attributes. Does anyone know how do you do that? When I search all them, all I get is a repeat of the AHRI info.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumstate View Post
    I noted way above in this thread what the dealer says. Do I have to say again that I am trying to double-check and make sure my son is getting the best? And that I have to ensure he will be eligible for the tax credit? This is why I am doing all this.

OK there are hundreds of thousands of combinations, so the only real option is the AHRI site. So I get evap numbers like 4TXCB004CC3, 4TXCC005CC3, 4TXCC007CC3, and 4TXFH036CZ3... these are just numbers. I have no way of understanding their individual attributes. Does anyone know how do you do that? When I search all them, all I get is a repeat of the AHRI info.
    These .pdf files below should give you more of the comparative info you're looking for. This is from Trane's commercial site -- if you look on the right-hand side, you'll see a place to search for literature by product number (just enter 4TXC or 4TWZ0 for instance).

http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/spl...l_07012012.pdf
    http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/spl...6_05012010.pdf
    http://www.trane.com/webcache/un/spl...1_09012010.pdf

When you say the communicating furnace is "less efficient," you must be referring to the slightly lower SEER rating (cooling efficiency) when the XL20i is combined with the modulating furnace as opposed to the 2-stage XV95? Both furnace have the same variable speed motor. The slight difference in SEER rating may be due to the fact that the XV95 combination was tested at slightly higher airflow than the XC95m combination (I checked the expanded ratings for the 4TWZ0036B with 4TXCB004 coil). Not sure why, but airflow is field adjustable. So, don't get too caught up in minor variations of the SEER rating. The difference isn't that significant, and I certainly wouldn't let it detract me from the communicating system. Actually the XC95m has a higher AFUE percentage (heating efficiency).
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 12-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast