I recently had a XV90 trane furnace installed with accessories (Media Filter, Humidifer, Evaporator Coil) & VisionPro IAQ thermostat. I decided to change the evaporator coil as well as the old coil was 20 years old. My old furnace was a single stage 80% furnace that was 20 years old. The furnace is in the basement. The installers spend 3 days installing the furnace, water heater, humidifier, media filter and furnace. I think they did a good job and were very detail oriented. One thing I noticed is that how much quieter this furnace really was in comparison to my old furnace. The old furnace came on with such a blast that we had to turn on the TV and it was really irritating. On the other hand, this furnace, I can not feel even if the furnace is ON. Additionally, I think the VisionPro IAQ t-stat is great as well. Very good looking and is able to maintain the temperature very accurately with the added bonus of being able to control the humidifer. Also, I noticed that when they turned the furnace on, it took about 2.5/3 hours for the furnace to reach the desired temperature. It was about 60 degrees in the house and the desired temperature was 75 degrees. My question is that amount of time to reach the desired temperature normal?? Seems quite long to me. Also, how do I ensure that the furnace is firing on Stage 2 as well because my understanding was that if the deltaT was high then Stage 2 should come on and should assist the furnace to reach the desired temperature sooner. Any advice and guidance will really be appreciated. Just wanted to make sure that the performance parameters of the new installation where within range and acceptable. Thanks much for your help.

15 degrees? 2.5 to 3 hours sounds fast!

The VP won't tell you staging, have to use your ears. Furnace will fire on low when it first comes on. Run the stat up 1 degree, after it fires, go up about 10 degrees. You should notice a difference as more air goes up the vents. If you are standing in front of the furnace, you'll notice a slight change in sound as the inducer ramps up and the burners switch to high, then the blower will ramp up too.

Really, is 15 degrees in 2.5 hours fast!! I was thinking that kind of deltaT could be bridged in about 45 minutes.

Is it possible for the installer to mess up installation with the Trane XV90 and VisionPro IAQ so that it only fires on one stage or it is really a fool proof system. I just want to ensure that installation is good and within design parameters. If it isn't I can easily reach out the company and have the problems easily fixed.

The installers (2 folks) spent full three days doing the install? Included Furnace, T-stat, Humidifier, Media Filter, Water Heater. Also, the old furnace was 80% and used a Bvent. The new one is a 94% condensing furnace. What are the other things I should look for?

Thanks again for your help.

Read the manual for the wall unit. Get into the advanced setup and make sure they set it for 2 stage. It does not come that way. Let me look and see what option # it is. Option 176 should be 2.

One thing many forget. It is not only the air in your house that has to warm up 15 degrees. It is EVERYTHING in your house AND your house. The furniture, drapes, carpet, drywall, everything is cold. As the air warms up, that heat is given up to warm the objects. With a 2 stage furnace, as you approach the setpoint, the stat throttles back to low for gentle warmth. This is the point where the furnishings etc. are beginning to catch up to the air temp. So you could be running on low the last 1/2 hour as things equalize. Long run cycles on low are why you buy a 2 stage furnace.

What you can do, stand near the furnace when it first come on. You will hear the inducer come in high at first to purge. after a couiple of min, it will slow down.. After the blower kicks in, ask someone to turn up the temp a few degrees. about a min or so, you should hear the inducer speed up abit, and the main blower speed up.

You can tell change in stages in the air flow.

I know I can wire up the regular VP to tell us if it's in 2nd stage.. I don't know about IAQ since I have not seen that in person yet....

2 guys for 3 days??? that's 48 man hours. 2 guys should have knocked that out in a day easily. post some pics.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

They actually spend close to 10 hours each day. So that equates to approximately 60 man hours. Seemed kind of high to me as well. Most of the other contractors I talked to said they could do this (Furnace, Evaporator Coil, 2 media filters, Humidifer, Water Heater, Chimney Liner for the Water Heater and PVC venting arrangement for the furnace) in 1 day. Although, they did fabricate a some bit of metal in their workshop i.e. fabricated and replaced a 10 feet section of the return and seperated a single return into 2 returns. But that should not have taken them that long maybe couple of hours of work. They seemed again very detail oriented and thorough with the work.

I can certainly post pictures? How do I post pictures? Can you upload the pictures on this website?

Thanks...

I do believe it is possible to make a mistake in wiring a thermostat, such that 1st stage is called when 2nd should be, and vice versa. Mine was mis-wired that way and it seemed to have very little heating ability. Was fixed easily after the tech figured out what he had done wrong when the thermostat was installed this summer. Things like that made me surely glad I didn't try to do a DIY project.

I have been able to use a thermometer at the supply vents and measure about a 15 degree higher temperature when the furnace is on Stage 2. Mine is an infrared thermometer which is very convenient for this job. I also have a dial type thermometer, very inexpensive, which can be stuck in a steel vent grill and held with a magnet.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The VP won't tell you staging, have to use your ears. Furnace will fire on low when it first comes on. Run the stat up 1 degree, after it fires, go up about 10 degrees. You should notice a difference as more air goes up the vents. If you are standing in front of the furnace, you'll notice a slight change in sound as the inducer ramps up and the burners switch to high, then the blower will ramp up too.
    Gosh!

I just had my dual fuel system installed on Tuesday with an IAQ.The IAQ is such an advanced stat, I'm so disappointed to see that it won't display the stages. Do I understand correctly that it will display "Em heat" when the furnace is called (either stage), but it displays heat when the furnace is on during a HP defrost?
    Thanks,

Mark

That is a disappointing lack of a feature not showing stages.

It won't tell you when heat is on during a defrost since it is not the one calling for it. When gas heat is called for I believe it will say aux heat on instead of just heat on.

For this HO's Bryant Evolution Stat ( just as an example)...

You have to go into a service type menu by hitting the advanced button and holding it. Then I get the ability to look at the counters for high heat versus low heat cycle counts, as well as the runtime hours for each. I just have to keep an eye on what the counters/hours were. In my case, the initial install test changed the high heat counter to "2" where it stayed since my install in sept (in Cleveland, OH). Have had plenty of 30 degree nights with 45-55 degree days so far. daytime set to 70 degrees with night setback to 67 degrees.

Keep in mind also that your furnace sizing may impact the need for the 2nd stage. In my case, since I know I was slightly oversized, I am aware that for most of my typical heating days, I will never see the 2nd stage. Now I know this is not what a pro would normally shoot for, but hey, I am me.

As long as your comfort level is to your liking, that to me is the key.

My Bryant installers (2 guys) started at 8:30am and finished up at 5:00pm,
    installing the furnace, coil, exhaust pvc outside the house, and connecting in the existing 5" filter and humidifier electrically. They had just finished. And there was no install work to the filter or hunidifier as they were pre-existing.
    All sheet-metal was pre-fabbed at the shop and delivered to them, which I would assume is the standard practice. Very thourough and professional.

Good luck to you.