Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Commercial refrigerator stops cooling after a few hours...

Got call for commercial refrigerator which was not working correctly..
    1/2 ton hermetic compressor with 17oz of R134a running on 110

Here is what I did..

Checked outlet power.....OK, the evaporator fans were running but compressor was not running, there was no cooling...
    Checked compressor/condenser was extremely dirty, I cleaned it thoroughly...
    Ohm and ground test on compressor showed it was fine...
    The thermostat was off so I set the to 35 and the unit started cooling, it hit 37 inside and kept it for a couple of hours..
    I had to go so I Left it running, came back another 2 hours later and the unit was hitting 60 inside..

Once again the evap fans were running but the compressor wasn't..
    I checked the power coming from the relay that's between thermostat and compressor and nada... the compressor was not getting any juice... so I checked the thermostat to see if maybe someone had touched but it was still how I left it...
    I moved the temperature up to 80 then down to 10 and after a few seconds the compressor kicked in...

does that mean I have a bad thermostat?

Name:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  27.2 KB

Thats one h*** of a differential if not!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

What was the voltage across the thermostat terminals?

I hate those thermostats......

Well ... Xgive my stupidity, I will from now on be as precise as possible in explaining my situations with the terminology in which all non-contributing contributors feel most comfy with... Oh no wait, what the H.... for?? I mean after all, I am sure that then they will find another "flaw" and then they will just take it from there... Yah, I mean dang, why bother even answering a question when I can spend my valuable time shi###ing all over the other guys' posts...

Happy Holidays ppl!!!

Let's try this again. What type of cooler are you working on ? From the looks of your picture that is not the correct temperature control.

more info,

what was youre amp draw while in operation, also what bout the thermostat its self, how were the contacts,where they open when the unit was supposed to be in operation, where was the sensing bulb located, or was the compressor open on overload....?

Troubleshooting a thermostat is basic HVACR 101. The switch is either open or closed. What was the temp of the compressor shell when you got back or when the comp shuts off?

yep....!

Well there is alot of people who dont even think about the thermostat....
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    Troubleshooting a thermostat is basic HVACR 101. The switch is either open or closed. What was the temp of the compressor shell when you got back or when the comp shuts off?

X2 on temp control
    Check for voltage across terminals. If 120 is present with warm box, replace with proper cold control!!!

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by myhvacx View Post
    Well ... Xgive my stupidity, I will from now on be as precise as possible in explaining my situations with the terminology in which all non-contributing contributors feel most comfy with... Oh no wait, what the H.... for?? I mean after all, I am sure that then they will find another "flaw" and then they will just take it from there... Yah, I mean dang, why bother even answering a question when I can spend my valuable time shi###ing all over the other guys' posts...

Happy Holidays ppl!!!
    I don't see anyone doing any post pooping. I do see the OP getting bent out of shape for no reason.

You asked if the thermostat was bad, a simple voltage check would provide the answer.

I remember not too long ago I used the likes of this forum, and my phone, as a crutch in troubleshooting.
    In realization of this, I started hesitating before dialing/typing. I became a better tech by forcing myself to go through the fundamentals of troubleshooting through my head.
    My first troubleshooting technique.......... hesitation

A Einstein

From the OP, Its sounds like the thermostat is bad. But again, I simple voltage check will confirm. The box looks like a true cooler. In that case, I would install the OEM constant cut in thermostat.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast