Climate Impacts on HSPF and SEER

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publicati...SEC-PF-413-04/

Interesting paper. I'm curious to hear any thoughts others might have on the topic. It generated quite a contervesy on another thread. Guy that posted is said SEER and HSPF was a lie.

The ratings still give you a good basis to compare the effeciency across difference models, brands and heat sources. I do agree with some of the points. Realistically, most use a indoor tmeprature of 68-72F, not 65F for heating. FOr cooling, most use 73-77F, not 80.

However, I didn't see it menitoned that system installation and sizing can have an even larger impact than hte first two.

I think epople need to spend more time reducing their heat loss and gain... ie demand and build better quality structures. Then equipent efficiency becomes far less important.

The improper use the thermostats was pointsed out.

I guess IMO< it's just like the debate about vehcile mpg. Vehcile conditon and operation makes such a large difference, but that doesn't mean the rating system is bad.

Could the rating system use some adjustment? Probably. Should we eliminate the recommendation of using setbacks and tell homeowners to leave it the same temerpature, other than for comfort. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publicati...SEC-PF-413-04/

Interesting paper. I'm curious to hear any thoughts others might have on the topic. It generated quite a contervesy on another thread. Guy that posted is said SEER and HSPF was a lie.
    Good article. SEER and HSPF are as bad as AFUE.