+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A degree which could aid in HVAC? Please read

Post Likes

Confused A degree which could aid in HVAC? Please read

Currently attending a 12 month HVAC-R program in the evenings at my local trade school/community college. My dad started a HVAC company in January , so I am learning the trade. I have an Associate Degree in General Studies and 90 or so random credits towards my bachelors. Is this any college curriculum that would aid me as a HVAC tech, I have researched this time and again. Unfortunately, skills such as electrical, housing diagrams, etc are not offered in colleges, and therefore makes transferring my credits worthless. I left school because "college is a joke" meaning 90% of college majors are non technical and do not lead to good career jobs in my opinion. I am on the brink of just going to another school that offers HVAC in the mornings and taking HVAC at night at my original tech school. This would be double exposure and help me become a better technician. This would be fine ,but I still feel like I wasted thousands of dollars and my college should fo to something....Having our own LLC things I learned in college such as time management, customer service skills do help me deal with customers and expand our marketing online. I guess I am deciding whether to leave this degree behind entirely for HVAC which is providing me a valuable skill in a expanding field. I feel our business which is just my dad and I could be more profitable in the years to come than this year as we have already expanded with a company website, trucks etc.

I guess I am looking for advice from some experienced techs, some who may own there own business, maybe some who have been a similar dilemma. I know this isn't the right place to post, but this is the most active, and I post on this site alot.

Post Likes
    It really depends on what your long term goals are. First of all you need to develop the knowledge and skills you will need to become a tech. Classroom instruction and on the job training will get you there. Beyond that, if you plan on being a business owner then a construction management, business degree or mechanical engineering degree would help you advance to the next level and give you more credibility amongst the professional snobs.
    I have 2 AS degrees. One in HVAC&R and the other in electronics. Even with 20 years experience and 2 associate degrees I don't qualify for a lot of positions that a kid right out of college with a bachelors degree would qualify for. So if you plan to advance in the HVAC field and become a engineering or project manager, then a bachelors degree would be beneficial.
    If you just want to be a really good tech, then develop your electrical troubleshooting skills and always seek ways to learn more and continually improve. By alway striving to be the best, is how you become successful at what ever profession you choose.

Post Likes
    Proffesional snobs- now that is funny.
    Sto just do it, as time goes on you will forget about school because you will too busy spending your money.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    It really depends on what your long term goals are. First of all you need to develop the knowledge and skills you will need to become a tech. Classroom instruction and on the job training will get you there. Beyond that, if you plan on being a business owner then a construction management, business degree or mechanical engineering degree would help you advance to the next level and give you more credibility amongst the professional snobs.
    I have 2 AS degrees. One in HVAC&R and the other in electronics. Even with 20 years experience and 2 associate degrees I don't qualify for a lot of positions that a kid right out of college with a bachelors degree would qualify for. So if you plan to advance in the HVAC field and become a engineering or project manager, then a bachelors degree would be beneficial.
    If you just want to be a really good tech, then develop your electrical troubleshooting skills and always seek ways to learn more and continually improve. By alway striving to be the best, is how you become successful at what ever profession you choose.
    My technical school offers courses in management and business ,but of course there "continuing education requirements" and are not official college credits toward a bachelor. I could change my college major to business, but then I am spending $10,000 more on school ,but I could have just spent $1000 at the tech school and get educated. Once again, I guess it comes down to what you can prove on paper as opposed to overall knowledge and know how. I would love to stay in the family business and grow it to where I can make a comfortable living just working in the summer. How ever doing the slow months in HVAC it would be nice to have another skill, hence where my college credits come into mind. my credits are not in a technical field, and therefore switching to something like engineering would be equivalent to starting college over. I wish I knew of a local college which would except my 90 credits and allow me to take another 30 in HVAC and get a bachelors in HVAC or Engineering, unfortunately there isn't one. I guess I want to grow this business ,but have something to fall back on if things fail. I plan on getting my journeyman license in 1-2 years so I guess I will be prepared for what the world throws at me. Thanks for the helpful reply

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Proffesional snobs- now that is funny.
    Sto just do it, as time goes on you will forget about school because you will too busy spending your money.
    Thanks man your response watching your cool username. I feel if I study hard and continue working I can make alot of money in this field, but can one expect to make $80,000+ a year just in the summers alone. I guess its all about volume, but unless your profiting at the expense of employee's there only so many calls a 1 or 2 man team can run. Like I said the company is just me and my dad, and I am earning at an apprentice rate, but I am thinking long term. Is it realistic to think working summer alone will be enough to suffice. I guess that is the big question. There are so many underlying factors, whether its a hott summer, cost of parts n gas, and if we accrue any more overhead. But, like we anticipate the calls may be there when its hott, but its going to be more than we can handle, and we will lose the calls once its cools up. There is only a 3-4 month window... Thanks too cool, appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

Post Likes
    My family business when I was a kid was a trucking business...Had my chauffers license at 18 and driving trucks for money after that....was making killer money for an 18yr old but times change (you can't get the license or insurance nowadays at 18)

Started my own hvac company and compared it to the trucking business...year 1-would make more driving a truck...year 2 would make more driving a truck...year 3-making as much as driving a truck....year 4- why did I drive a truck?

On the education side...have a BSME....Year 1 making as much as an Engineer....year 2 making as much as a Mech Engr. with 4 years in....Year 3- republican run companies have sold us out to china I am making more than a chinese engineer....and my wife as a banking software programmer...her job went to india...I still make more than her after paying for her school and go back to school for 2 years and become an RN.

Just my experience....

The BSME degree didn't really help me other than Manual J, D , S and all the theory of operation. I have a background (trucking company) with mechanical repair skills most guys don't have. (was changing oil and replacing head gaskets since I was 12)
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Mechanical Engineering jobs certainly don't pay what they used to. The republican house just passed a bill to allow 50,000 more high tech visa so that high tech companies can import cheap labor and lower high tech labor across the board. So your point is well taken beshvac. But still, a BSME degree along with real world experience should make you a valuable asset to an employer. Just not as valuable as it used to be.
    Sorry to hijack your thread sto.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    My family business when I was a kid was a trucking business...Had my chauffers license at 18 and driving trucks for money after that....was making killer money for an 18yr old but times change (you can't get the license or insurance nowadays at 18)

Started my own hvac company and compared it to the trucking business...year 1-would make more driving a truck...year 2 would make more driving a truck...year 3-making as much as driving a truck....year 4- why did I drive a truck?

On the education side...have a BSME....Year 1 making as much as an Engineer....year 2 making as much as a Mech Engr. with 4 years in....Year 3- republican run companies have sold us out to china I am making more than a chinese engineer....and my wife as a banking software programmer...her job went to india...I still make more than her after paying for her school and go back to school for 2 years and become an RN.

Just my experience....

The BSME degree didn't really help me other than Manual J, D , S and all the theory of operation. I have a background (trucking company) with mechanical repair skills most guys don't have. (was changing oil and replacing head gaskets since I was 12)
    You have a degree in Mechanical Engineering? So are you working for another company and designing HVAC systems? You surely aren't out in the field replacing A coils, right? So you don't have your HVAC business anymore? A little confused, but a great post, I would like to know more? Where did you get your schooling for HVAC? Did BSME help you in HVAC? you just said it helped you with theory and manual j, if that is the case then it won't help your earnings in HVAC right?, at least not in the short term?

I would appreciate more details? Thanks alot
    I feel the BSME is extremely broad and don't see how it would HVAC very much? And with my own business having that degree would be more of a novelty so I am asking you does it help you with your own business?

Post Likes
    Mechanical Engineering jobs certainly don't pay what they used to. The republican house just passed a bill to allow 50,000 more high tech visa so that high tech companies can import cheap labor and lower high tech labor across the board. So your point is well taken beshvac. But still, a BSME degree along with real world experience should make you a valuable asset to an employer. Just not as valuable as it used to be.
    Sorry to hijack your thread sto.
    Its all good air1, just unsure how ME helps a HVAC tech besides with theory, HVAC engineering and development is different entirely.

Post Likes
    No school other than hard knocks for hvac....however from my background I can fix anything

And yes I am out in the field replacing A coils...however..with my background every estimate is a whole house approach looking at the thermal envelope. (I sub out the insulation work....I hate itching...and have never gotten used to it)

I have my own company. BSME was very helpful taking marketing my company from competitor with "I have been doin this for 15 years and you need 2 outlets in this room....in contrast to "I have done the load calculation and you need 200 cfm with 2 4x12 outlets to provide the throw necessary to mix the air in the room."

Physics (almost the same as ME) is great for a background in this industry. You can take classes on HVAC in theory and design. There are lots of guys on this site that don't have a degree, but have studied enough to talk in mathmatics and not "have been doin this for 20years argument......"

HOWEVER, YOU WILL LOSE jobs to the less mathematically inclined....(lost one last month with an engineer homeowner...usually don't lose those...but the other company was giving him a bigger furnace and AC and it was a Trane instead of Carrier...Oversized his furnace by 300% and put an AC in that was 400sqft per ton....) You also have to SELL.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sto2299001 View Post
    Its all good air1, just unsure how ME helps a HVAC tech besides with theory, HVAC engineering and development is different entirely.
    A ME degree would be of very little help and a tech. I would give you a better understanding of thermodynamics and fluids (air is a fluid) which would be helpful but you don't need a ME degree to learn it. You should be able learn enough in a HVAC trade school to do your job.
    If you wanted to go to work for an engineering firm or a large construction firm as a project manager, then a ME degree would be helpful. If you look at the want adds for professional or managerial positions in the construction industry, they almost alway require a BS degree.

Post Likes
    A ME degree would be of very little help and a tech. I would give you a better understanding of thermodynamics and fluids (air is a fluid) which would be helpful but you don't need a ME degree to learn it. You should be able learn enough in a HVAC trade school to do your job.
    If you wanted to go to work for an engineering firm or a large construction firm as a project manager, then a ME degree would be helpful. If you look at the want adds for professional or managerial positions in the construction industry, they almost alway require a BS degree.
    BS

After hiring trade school grad,s they don't know ANYTHING.

Post Likes
    Depends on the grad. If you have a electro/mechanical background you should be able to transition into the trade and hit the ground running. But your right, there is no substitute for experience.

Post Likes
    College Degree Pros & Cons (Engineering)

Pros:
    1. Can say you have a degree.
    2. Can take 8 hour state exams and say you are now an "engineer-in-training"
    3. Can take another 1-2 day exam after 2 years of working under someone, just so you can legally call yourself an engineer.

Cons:
    1. Overqualified for minimum wage jobs, so no one will even waste the time to interview you.
    2. Under-qualified for all jobs that you actually want because you don't have experience.
    3. Thousands, tens of thousands, or hundred of thousands in college debt.
    4. End up working under an engineer for for two years, making barely enough to live on your own.
    5. Probably end up living with parents, have 6 roommates, or sleep in the living room to save money.
    6. Work long hours, doesn't matter if you are salaried or hourly, no one will pay you extra.

But yeah I guess if you really want to get more background in HVAC, you can be a mechanical engineer. The engineering classes might actually seem more relevant since you see the theory in action.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    I grew up in a plumbing/heating family owned business. Went to college and got a BS in Industrial Arts/Technology along with a lifetime teaching certificate. Worked for a couple of large corp. in technical supervision jobs, and came back home after about 10 years and took over the family business. All of our office employees have degress (one in accounting, and two in general business). Not that a degree is actually needed, however if you are wanting the office/management/business background, it can't hurt since you're over 2/3rd the way done. I'm certified to teach "shop" in high school, so had to have the electrical, drafting, basic machine/tool classes in order to get certified. Never took a teaching job because larger industries pay double what teachers earn, but still have and keep the certification. My youngest child (son) is working in business too, but he also finished college with business degree (he's in a service truck now). But if we get caught up in service, I can use him about anywhere else because of his training. If the business fails for some reason, his experience and degree will enable him to get other employment (I hope). The way the job market is, it's kinda hard to tell!

And the college debt thing? I worked my way thru on a work scholarship, and so did my son. So college debt was never a problem. I basically told him if he stayed in college and worked his scholarship then I'd keep him in pocket money and car gas (within reason). I did and he did so it worked out fine. All my children finished college with my assistance, but my oldest ended up with a pretty large debt because of Medical School. I helped with undergrad, but she took care of her own upper stuff. Long road, and now she's looking at "Obama-care" heading their way......wouldn't you know it!!!!

Post Likes

NATE

I don't know if this will help but have you looked into N.A.T.E.? In my own experience, I found a NATE training class which helped me prep for the NATE exam along with some good training covering IMC and R410a. My classes were 2 nights per week 3.5 hours per night, lasting 20 weeks.

Post Likes
    I like Air1 have an Associates in HVAC and Electronics. The Electronics has served me well because i always never seem to have problems on the advancing edge of new technology in our field. But the most valuable and most marketable experience i got was when i was working in a radiator factory under the tutelage of a tool and die maker. I learned most aspects of the machinist trade, including setups and very close tolerance work. I have had to show some machine shops how to set up to do my machine work on rebuilds and getting parts made. I am finding out that these shops cannot find good manual machinists. They just dont exist. There is one machine shop in Houston which all of the OEM's and contractors use for their repair centers; along with most other industrial process refrigeration. These guys are getting older and we are wondering what the industry will do when they retire.

Other than that I always wished I had more business knowledge. Being a wrench turning mechanical/electrical whiz has made me money; but being knowledgeable about the business side is what separates a great tech from the ultimate tech or even owner. I would say the business degree would serve you well.

Post Likes
    im 24, went to a vo-tech high school. sadly the only thing I learned was how to braze and shot wire nuts out of nitrogen tanks lol. but when I worked two weeks/ school for two weeks I worked for a company that threw me to the wolfs and in that year and a half time period I learned so much it was insane, tested out my first year in my apprenticeship switched employers where I currently work finished my apprenticeship. so if your dad has a company I would just soak up as much industry info you can, and take over the business when your dad retires. are you in residential or commercial?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
    im 24, went to a vo-tech high school. sadly the only thing I learned was how to braze and shot wire nuts out of nitrogen tanks lol. but when I worked two weeks/ school for two weeks I worked for a company that threw me to the wolfs and in that year and a half time period I learned so much it was insane, tested out my first year in my apprenticeship switched employers where I currently work finished my apprenticeship. so if your dad has a company I would just soak up as much industry info you can, and take over the business when your dad retires. are you in residential or commercial?
    residential

Post Likes
    Why do you only do hvac in the summer? What about H and V and even R? Get your company into building science, it helps to fill the slow times up with other types of repairs that aren't weather driven. Looking at the whole house approach and putting the V back in HVAC the past couple of years has kept my buisiness profitable 12 months out of the year in the toughest economic times since the Great Depression. We are already booked through the end of January with duct jobs, proactive change outs, crawl space humidity fixed, among other things and still have a few blower door tests lined up to do when we get time along with service calls for heat and we always find a cracked heat exchanger or bad compressor to get an emergency change out once or twice a week. We've got 5 techs we all do whatever is needed any given day service or install and me and my dad pull away to do sales calls and blower door tests when need be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in