+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carrier 90% furnace

Post Likes

carrier 90% furnace

Im having trouble figuring out why this 6 year old furnace wont close the pressure switch?

Post Likes
    Is it stuck open?
    Is the venter motor working?

Post Likes
    the venter motor is working and I have replaced the pressure switch

Post Likes
    It seems to have to much negative pressure acording to out digital magnehelic guage. we taken off both the flue and freshair intalke and no change

Post Likes

carrier 90% furnace

Ive replaced the pressure switch and cannot get the furnace to close the pressure switch. any ideas? ive removed the flue and fresh air intake and it did not change any thing.

Post Likes
    Check the vacuum to the switch, maybe the line is plugged up or there is water in furnace due to a plugged drain.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblo View Post
    Check the vacuum to the switch, maybe the line is plugged up or there is water in furnace due to a plugged drain.
    Checked all of that and thats not it. this is a very unusual situation and hard to figure out. Not a typical trouble call!

Post Likes
    Believe it or not, the furnace drain can cause this! The corrugated hoses have to be switched based on left or right flow. They are tagged different colors with description on the panel.

Post Likes
    Those corrugated hoses also can crack, and it can be difficult to spot. Be sure to check them.
    Question authority!

Post Likes
    pressure swith could be DOA

Post Likes
    What's your pressure compared to the switch? Is it a differential ps?

Post Likes
    The first thing is how much vacuum the furnace pulls with the intake and exhaust off. The drain could cause this problem. The secondary could be plugged, but this normally trips the roll out. make sure the black intake box under the burners is not plugged with a bird nest etc.

Post Likes
    My bet is that there's a gallon of water in the secondary. Good old Carrier drain traps. I have days where I un-clog 3-4 of those in a row.

Pull the flex hose off the top of the drain trap.

Post Likes
    The drain traps clog because the plastic lining in the secondary hx comes off, I call that a failed heat exchanger but carrier usually won't warranty it unless there are actually holes or completely plugged.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andr00 View Post
    My bet is that there's a gallon of water in the secondary. Good old Carrier drain traps. I have days where I un-clog 3-4 of those in a row.

Okay thanks to every one who responded to my problem. So everyone take note because it took some one who has worked installing and repairing carrier systems for several years to figure it out. He almost gave up on it but remembered once that whem installing a new 90% Carrier that there is a baffle in the fresh air intake black plastic that is installed from the factory and must be removed if the pvc fresh air run is longer than normal lengths. Once we removed the baffle the unit worked fine. This is something that is important to remember if you ever run into this problem. thanks again for everybodys responses

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andr00 View Post

I did one yesterday just as you described.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    The drain traps clog because the plastic lining in the secondary hx comes off, I call that a failed heat exchanger but carrier usually won't warranty it unless there are actually holes or completely plugged.
    I get some like that (full of flaky black HX coating bits), but most of the ones I unplug are full of the same sort of slimy stinky brown mold/gunk that builds up in drain lines.

Post Likes
    It seems like I run into this same problem on a lot of 90% L.P gas furnaces. The trap is usually filled with a black, slimy, soot-like substance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pshad124 View Post
    Im having trouble figuring out why this 6 year old furnace wont close the pressure switch?
    Please hook a manometer up to the pressure switch properly. You need to use a tee fitting on both sides of the pressure switch to see the differential, which will show you where your problem is. Unless your furnace is a 120 thousand btuhr, you should have that disc in the combustion air box, so your excess air isnt out of control

Post Likes
    Why did the furnace work for 6 years with the baffle in place? Easy answer the restriction is someplace else and taking out the baffle is only a temporary fix until the secondary hx gets worse. I'm amazed how much help this homeowner got in this thread and he chose to ignore it and go with a bandaid fix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in