Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Need advice from the vets in HVAC please. *i'm new here*

A few years ago I obtained my welding all positions MIG and ARC certification.
    I have a lot of experience in welding.

I am almost done my Gas Technician 2 course at George Brown College.

I would like to know what I should go for next after i'm done this course.

I figure that a strong welding skill certified and a G2 would be a good start.

I want to know what other certification will be nice to see on my resume.

I also have the common things like first aid certificate and WHIMIS as well.

Besides that what other certification can i obtain?

ps.. I know experience is the best, so you don't need to say that, but i have some extra cash and time on my hands and want more schooling for the HVAC field.

Thank you for your advice everyone.

Post Likes
    Do a little research and find the best school you can, go there, learn HVAC and forget welding! Just my opinion though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech it out View Post
    Do a little research and find the best school you can, go there, learn HVAC and forget welding! Just my opinion though.
    I completely agree, but when i go to all the school here "Toronto" they all tell me different things.

I want advice from someone in the field. Someone that knows what they are talking about.

I asked my teacher, but he said that he was in the field for only a few years then became a teacher. He has no idea anymore.

I then walked down the hall to ask the other class teachers, but they are all old timers which have worked behind a teachers desk for many years.

I need someone that is out there active. HVAC times change all the time, so i don't want to ask someone that was in the field way back in the day when i was in diapers.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude.

With all respect to everyone here on hvac-talk.

Post Likes
    Yeah chris you wont be doing much welding. Buy some oxy/acetylne torches and pratice brazing copper with silfos. You will be doing alot of brazing

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorinky View Post
    Yeah chris you wont be doing much welding. Buy some oxy/acetylne torches and pratice brazing copper with silfos. You will be doing alot of brazing
    ok i'll take the welding off the resume. I don't want to put anything on there that anyone in HVAC doesn't care about.

It said in the code book clause 6.15.2 that underground piping must be welded or have a mechanical compression fitting. It was my understanding that most people just get it welded as it's cheaper and easier. If you have a good welder then it will be much better than putting on a fitting.
    I thought welding would be helpful. I mean I figured that large pipe running through a building or across town or whatever needs a welder. I would be the welder AND the hvac guy. Here in Toronto we have lots of small companies that don't have a lot of money and need to save everywhere they can. I would be a 2 in 1 if you know what i mean.

I guess i was wrong. I'll take the welding off the resume.

So, that being said what certification should i try to achieve next?

I wish that the welding certification would be a nice bonus for a person hireing a hvac tech for out in the field.

I have time and some money right now and want to go to school for another ticket to help me in the hvac field.

Post Likes
    Please don't give up on me. I go to a good school. Anyone please guide me

what should my next ticket be.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin1978 View Post
    Please don't give up on me. I go to a good school. Anyone please guide me

what should my next ticket be.
    IF you are a Canadian resident, then you should state that upfront. Canada and the US likely have different laws and requirements from techs.

A stronger background in electrical won't hurt.
    Pipefitting skills are good.
    Advanced mathematics are good too.

Post Likes
    If you want the big bucks you get into underwater welding.

Medical gas brazing is also in demand around these parts.

No one hires like the oil pipeline companies do, not sure what certs you need for that though?

Post Likes
    I can't speak for Canada, but in many parts of the states, welders are in high demand. There are multiple ads in the newspapers here for welders on a daily basis.

If HVAC is your dream, follow it.....but don't be hasty to turn your back on welding. Large commercial jobs often require a welder.....in which case your welding background would be a plus to a potential employer.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    I can't speak for Canada, but in many parts of the states, welders are in high demand. There are multiple ads in the newspapers here for welders on a daily basis.

If HVAC is your dream, follow it.....but don't be hasty to turn your back on welding. Large commercial jobs often require a welder.....in which case your welding background would be a plus to a potential employer.
    And on the lighter side.....you CAN have your cake and eat it too....

Here ya go

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1#post12456361
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    A few years ago I obtained my welding all positions MIG and ARC certification.
    I have a lot of experience in welding.

I am almost done my Gas Technician 2 course at George Brown College.

I would like to know what I should go for next after i'm done this course.

I figure that a strong welding skill certified and a G2 would be a good start.

I want to know what other certification will be nice to see on my resume.

I also have the common things like first aid certificate and WHIMIS as well.

Besides that what other certification can i obtain?

ps.. I know experience is the best, so you don't need to say that, but i have some extra cash and time on my hands and want more schooling for the HVAC field.

Thank you for your advice everyone.
    So why don't you look into work in Alberta? Companies are hiring people from China (contract) because we can't get enough qualified Canadians or Americans (supposedly), that's the story anyway... It is worth looking into, unless you don't like our weather...

Oh...criminal record without a pardon, don't bother, and if you can't pass a drug test, don't bother...

Just the way it is...

Post Likes
    welding is a HUGE plus in commercial HVAC!

can you weld pipe or just flat stuff??????

ok i'll take the welding off the resume. I don't want to put anything on there that anyone in HVAC doesn't care about.

It said in the code book clause 6.15.2 that underground piping must be welded or have a mechanical compression fitting. It was my understanding that most people just get it welded as it's cheaper and easier. If you have a good welder then it will be much better than putting on a fitting.
    I thought welding would be helpful. I mean I figured that large pipe running through a building or across town or whatever needs a welder. I would be the welder AND the hvac guy. Here in Toronto we have lots of small companies that don't have a lot of money and need to save everywhere they can. I would be a 2 in 1 if you know what i mean.

I guess i was wrong. I'll take the welding off the resume.

So, that being said what certification should i try to achieve next?

I wish that the welding certification would be a nice bonus for a person hireing a hvac tech for out in the field.

I have time and some money right now and want to go to school for another ticket to help me in the hvac field.

Post Likes
    Pick up your ODP ticket. To handle refrigeration. Get going on your refrigeration ticket. 313D for residential or 313D for full ticket. Depends on what you want to do. I have my G2 with 313D and my ODP work residential Heating and AC. You can alway go after your oil ticket. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast