Thread: i need a laptop

i need a laptop

i have been working in the field a while and spend a lot of time navagating my way around control systems for grocery stores and commercial process chiller equipment. The need for a computer on the job is getting to be more of a necessity lately. I don't feel comfortable leaving my Acer out in the cold truck while I'm working and hoped that some one could point me toward a reliable, durable, and adaptable model. I do a lot with the E2 controllers from Emerson as well as Rockwell, Wizard, and Comforttrac. I also have a few Vantage, Reflex, and older systems out there. I'd really like something that can take a little abuse as leaving it in my truck, working in a cold/hot equipment room, and a dirty enviroment will be the norm. I might add that a good case for it would help out as well. Up ladders and across the roof is a normal days work. Battery life is not real crucial as i usually can find a receptacle close by. Anyone out there with some recommendations based on field experience would help a lot. thanks all

Panasonic Toughbook.....but it will cost you. Used by police and military around the world.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Panasonic Toughbook.....but it will cost you. Used by police and military around the world.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    so is apple, and do to cost, and apps, apple is winning that war.

Get an Apple.

Police have apple ipads and are able to do real time face time with judges to get arrest warrants, and search warrants right from the crime secene.

I pad, I phone, Imac are the only way to go today. Just like the energizer bunny, Apple's last and last.

Alpharetta police have Ipad 3, and I phone 5.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

I am on my 3rd used Panasonic Tough Book. I love em. I buy them used for about 250-300 dollars. Then I got a cheep modem from cricket. This way when I am totally stumped, somebody, anybody, can e-mail me a manual or a scematic........

Quote Originally Posted by tuba View Post
    I am on my 3rd used Panasonic Tough Book. I love em. I buy them used for about 250-300 dollars. Then I got a cheep modem from cricket. This way when I am totally stumped, somebody, anybody, can e-mail me a manual or a scematic........
    Where do you get them so cheap. I think they usually run over $2K.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

A few years ago I bought a fully refurbished, off-lease Panasonic Toughbook CF-29H3 from TigerDirect for $350. I used it every day on the job for 2 years and sold it for $375 on Ebay (where I then bought a newer Toughbook for $400.)

I'd recommend looking for a CF-30 because they're a lot faster and usually have more built-in options. Ebay currently has over 400 listings for them.

I appreciate the "Toughbook" recommendation, not the first to say that the CF-30 is a good one. I am looking on E-Bay and yes, there are many. I am also interested in the Educational opportunities offered on this site. I started out on packed HVAC equipment for retail/mall, and moved on to airport/proccess/commercial, chillers/boilers. For the last few years its been getting more grocery store/proccess equipment/ice production large and small. Everything gets more complicated, and more often than not it's the same old problems we had years ago. A relay is a relay weather its on an io board or screwed to the back of a control box. Keeping up with the "terms" and "lanquage" has been a real challange. Thanks again.

General Dynamics XR-1. Use it daily. Awesome tough computer.

I've had my Fujitsu for over 5 years and it's has all the bells and whistles tough books have. Spill-resistant keys are needed and plus bluetooth.
    In the field it has been used and abused. Cost was around 1600.00 but well worth it IMHO.. in fact this is what I'm using now. Tough laptop !!!
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

I am using a Walmart Toshiba. I will remember tough book for next time.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

The fully ruggedized, military spec laptops like the Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 are just what a tech in the field needs. You know you're going to one day get caught in a sudden downpour, use it bright sunshine, drop it or even have something fall on it. You know it will be sitting for hours in a very hot or very cold truck and it has to work when you need it (the hard drive has a heater).

Then there are the rubberized "feet" that keep it from sliding on a smooth surface as well as protect it from bumps, the handle so you can carry it like a briefcase, the 8 hour battery life (and the ability to do a battery swap on the fly), that they have no cooling fan so no worries about dust & such.

It's not great for watching videos or gaming, but for WORK you can't beat it in my opinion...and if you can get a used one that's only a few years old, it'll have a lot of miles left on it.

I usually get mine from Bob Johnsons Computer Stuff, then I pick up an oem restore disk from somewhere else for like $30. I have been very happy with the used toughbooks.