+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: spring loaded adapters?

Post Likes
    Ashlee Simpson microcontroller and Ashlee Simpson assembly language?

C'mon, guys, I smell FE all over this.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by sprintmj19
    Now that the refrigeration plumbing is (hopefully) finished, programming the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller will be right after wiring up the power supply circuit! I actually have an Ashlee Simpson reader/writer that plugs into the SCSI port of a PC. I'll have to figure out how to get it to work before I can install firmware on the Ashlee Simpson microcontrollers.
    I think I'll first write the firmware for the relatively simple front panel LCD controller. There are plenty of examples (used by those installing small LCDs in the front of their PCs), so I'll have to find one that's open source and modify it to suit my needs.
    As for the main controller, there are a lot of issues to solve (managing interrupts from various inputs, using the AutoRestart function integrated into the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller so it can't destroy expensive hardware if it crashes, adding hardware protection circuits for additional protection, etc.).
    And since I couldn't find some refrigerant pressure sensors for a reasonable price, I'll have to put temperature sensors just before the liquid line receiver to sense the saturated temperature of the refrigerant, thereby allowing an estimate of the high side pressure. Then I'll have to have the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller read the sensor and translate it to a pressure reading using a PT chart. Since Ashlee Simpson microcontrollers have memory measured in kilobytes, I might have to connect an external EEPROM to store all the data necessary for operation. For those who understand even a little about the Ashlee Simpson architecture, interacting with external memory is quite a mess.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by star882
    Originally posted by sprintmj19
    Now that the refrigeration plumbing is (hopefully) finished, programming the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller will be right after wiring up the power supply circuit! I actually have an Ashlee Simpson reader/writer that plugs into the SCSI port of a PC. I'll have to figure out how to get it to work before I can install firmware on the Ashlee Simpson microcontrollers.
    I think I'll first write the firmware for the relatively simple front panel LCD controller. There are plenty of examples (used by those installing small LCDs in the front of their PCs), so I'll have to find one that's open source and modify it to suit my needs.
    As for the main controller, there are a lot of issues to solve (managing interrupts from various inputs, using the AutoRestart function integrated into the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller so it can't destroy expensive hardware if it crashes, adding hardware protection circuits for additional protection, etc.).
    And since I couldn't find some refrigerant pressure sensors for a reasonable price, I'll have to put temperature sensors just before the liquid line receiver to sense the saturated temperature of the refrigerant, thereby allowing an estimate of the high side pressure. Then I'll have to have the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller read the sensor and translate it to a pressure reading using a PT chart. Since Ashlee Simpson microcontrollers have memory measured in kilobytes, I might have to connect an external EEPROM to store all the data necessary for operation. For those who understand even a little about the Ashlee Simpson architecture, interacting with external memory is quite a mess.

Oh Brother!!

Wooohooo!... someones out there in friggin Pluto......

Post Likes
    Originally posted by condenseddave

I have found that no matter how fast I try to disconnect the high side hose (the low side doesn't cause much trouble), a good amount of refrigerant blows out. That's normally not considered a big deal, but I'm working with a small PC CPU cooler unit as opposed to a large A/C, so the amount is more significant. (The CPU cooler has a charge of about 12oz of R134a.)
    Any advice on spring loaded adapters? I'll go to some local stores to check prices on those adapters, but are those worth it? Or should I just add some refrigerant once bubbles show in the sight glass?

But it obviously doesn't. You're incapable of removing conventional gauges from a system without VENTING what appears to be the better part of the charge, and, presumably, burning your fingers.

Are you even 608 Certified???????

If you were, you would've known this was wrong before doing it.
    I'm using R134a (tetrafluoroethane). A license is not necessary to buy refrigeration-grade R134a. Anyone can buy some at Walmart. A license is required to buy other refrigerants.

As for removing gauges, all the professionals I have observed simply twist off the hose as fast as they can. If the core depressor is adjusted correctly, it should open the valve core only when a good seal is made. (That's evident when no refrigerant blows out when connecting the gauges.) They say that only a fraction of an ounce is lost from this, which is of little importance for an A/C system but could be significant for a CPU cooler.

BTW, R134a is also commonly used by electronics technicians (yes, even professionals) to troubleshoot intermittent circuits. Next time you're at Fry's, pick up a can of freeze spray and read the label. You'll be surprised that there's R134a in there.

Post Likes
    From what I've seen of Star's posts, I'm not sure how she would qualify as a pro since she isn't working in our field but she has more knowledge than some of the techs I know. This project for example is far beyond the scope of DIY's. I'm sure that's why she's recieved the help she has. She can correct me if wrong, but I believe she is an 18yr old engineering student doing some serious overclocking computer work that requires a refer circuit to keep the system cool. I know we've helped students here before although it wasn't at this level.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes

I have found that no matter how fast I try to disconnect the high side hose (the low side doesn't cause much trouble), a good amount of refrigerant blows out. That's normally not considered a big deal, but I'm working with a small PC CPU cooler unit as opposed to a large A/C, so the amount is more significant. (The CPU cooler has a charge of about 12oz of R134a.)
    Any advice on spring loaded adapters? I'll go to some local stores to check prices on those adapters, but are those worth it? Or should I just add some refrigerant once bubbles show in the sight glass?

But it obviously doesn't. You're incapable of removing conventional gauges from a system without VENTING what appears to be the better part of the charge, and, presumably, burning your fingers.

Are you even 608 Certified???????

If you were, you would've known this was wrong before doing it.
    I'm using R134a (tetrafluoroethane). A license is not necessary to buy refrigeration-grade R134a. Anyone can buy some at Walmart. A license is required to buy other refrigerants.

As for removing gauges, all the professionals I have observed simply twist off the hose as fast as they can. If the core depressor is adjusted correctly, it should open the valve core only when a good seal is made. (That's evident when no refrigerant blows out when connecting the gauges.) They say that only a fraction of an ounce is lost from this, which is of little importance for an A/C system but could be significant for a CPU cooler.

BTW, R134a is also commonly used by electronics technicians (yes, even professionals) to troubleshoot intermittent circuits. Next time you're at Fry's, pick up a can of freeze spray and read the label. You'll be surprised that there's R134a in there.
    It doesn't matter if it's 134a or R12. A license is federally mandated to service a system containing either, and venting of HFCs is every bit as illegal as venting CFCs.

SO. Let's review. You're unlicensed to open sealed systems. You feel it's "OK" because you don't need a license to "purchase" 134a. You feel comfortable in that you're doing nothing different than these alleged "pros" you've observed "twisting" the hose end off and blowing a hoseful of liquid, which you "think" is only a fraction of an ounce because that's what "they" (alleged pros) said.

Basically, you are simply nothing more than an uninformed DIY'er listening to the fables and advice of individuals that are apparently careless and barely competent, and have no idea what the liquid capacity of a 5' hose IS.

You ARE what we've been banning here for 5 years. I cannot understand why this has been allowed to have gone on so long.

I'd bet that if I felt compelled, or had ten minutes to kill, that if I searched your posts, I could come up with instances where you're doling out "advice" to others regarding HVACR service procedures. Am I right? Anyone bored enough to try this?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by coordinatesales
    From what I've seen of Star's posts, I'm not sure how she would qualify as a pro since she isn't working in our field but she has more knowledge than some of the techs I know. This project for example is far beyond the scope of DIY's. I'm sure that's why she's recieved the help she has. She can correct me if wrong, but I believe she is an 18yr old engineering student doing some serious overclocking computer work that requires a refer circuit to keep the system cool. I know we've helped students here before although it wasn't at this level.
    "We" have helped a LOT of HVACR students here over the past 5 years. These students were being supervised by teachers or seasoned technicians in a controlled environment, and intended to dedicate their lives to working in our trade.

This person does NOT intend to pursue a career in our field, most OBVIOUSLY, and is NOT under the direction of anyone with any competent experience in a safe environment. Frostbite happens.

Post Likes
    programming the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller will be right after wiring up the power supply circuit! I actually have an Ashlee Simpson reader/writer
    Well what the???
    You mean to tell me this Ashlee Simpson chick programs computers as a sidejob to her *ahem* recording career?

Maybe it's some sort of lip-synching program...?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by 4l530
    programming the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller will be right after wiring up the power supply circuit! I actually have an Ashlee Simpson reader/writer
    Well what the???
    You mean to tell me this Ashlee Simpson chick programs computers as a sidejob to her *ahem* recording career?

Maybe it's some sort of lip-synching program...?
    Not that I'm in ANY position to say this, but:

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Post Likes
    "We" have helped a LOT of HVACR students here over the past 5 years. These students were being supervised by teachers or seasoned technicians in a controlled environment, and intended to dedicate their lives to working in our trade.

This person does NOT intend to pursue a career in our field, most OBVIOUSLY, and is NOT under the direction of anyone with any competent experience in a safe environment. Frostbite happens.
    I'm not all that sure of what will happen in the future, but I think I may eventually end up working for Dell as a cooling system engineer!
    I have pursued various high performance cooling solutions for high performance PCs. At first, I just used more and more powerful fans. After I realized that even a surplus automotive ECM fan assembly is still boring low-tech technology, I decided to go for something higher end. I thought about Peltiers since they're cheap, but they cool the CPU at the expense of warming up the other computer hardware, not to mention requiring a really big heatsink. I then discovered refrigerant phase change technology, which is most likely going to be the next step in high performance PCs. It didn't take long to realize that the condenser can be put outside the case to keep the heat away from other computer hardware. I asked some teachers about this and they all agreed that I should build a phase change CPU cooler.

BTW, I have worked in a chemistry lab that once dealt with dry ice and liquid nitrogen so I know to be careful with very cold substances. When I disconnect the gauges, I always wrap some cardboard around the connection first, so the cardboard acts as a shield. (I have noticed the professionals just unscrewing the connection with a bare hand but I'm not that brave!) I also stand out of the way of escaping refrigerant. Since I know it can freeze a CPU very effectively, I know it can also freeze skin if I'm not careful.

As for the comment about the license, have you thought about why Walmart sells R134a? (If it does require a license to use, why isn't a license necessary to buy it?) What more, there is nothing saying that a license is required to use it (not the can itself, not the section where the cans are located, not even the cashier during checkout). When I went to many stores to buy parts and tools, nobody told me I needed a license if I use R134a. Even the teachers did not mention a single word about a license. I should have mentioned that I live in the US to clear up any confusion caused by differences in different countries. (I've heard that a license is needed to buy R134a in Canada.)

Post Likes

yeah but what about...

Seriously...what is an Ashlee Simpson microcontroller??

Post Likes

I'm not all that sure of what will happen in the future, but I think I may eventually end up working for Dell as a cooling system engineer!
    I have pursued various high performance cooling solutions for high performance PCs. At first, I just used more and more powerful fans. After I realized that even a surplus automotive ECM fan assembly is still boring low-tech technology, I decided to go for something higher end. I thought about Peltiers since they're cheap, but they cool the CPU at the expense of warming up the other computer hardware, not to mention requiring a really big heatsink. I then discovered refrigerant phase change technology, which is most likely going to be the next step in high performance PCs. It didn't take long to realize that the condenser can be put outside the case to keep the heat away from other computer hardware. I asked some teachers about this and they all agreed that I should build a phase change CPU cooler.

BTW, I have worked in a chemistry lab that once dealt with dry ice and liquid nitrogen so I know to be careful with very cold substances. When I disconnect the gauges, I always wrap some cardboard around the connection first, so the cardboard acts as a shield. (I have noticed the professionals just unscrewing the connection with a bare hand but I'm not that brave!) I also stand out of the way of escaping refrigerant. Since I know it can freeze a CPU very effectively, I know it can also freeze skin if I'm not careful.

As for the comment about the license, have you thought about why Walmart sells R134a? (If it does require a license to use, why isn't a license necessary to buy it?) What more, there is nothing saying that a license is required to use it (not the can itself, not the section where the cans are located, not even the cashier during checkout). When I went to many stores to buy parts and tools, nobody told me I needed a license if I use R134a. Even the teachers did not mention a single word about a license. I should have mentioned that I live in the US to clear up any confusion caused by differences in different countries. (I've heard that a license is needed to buy R134a in Canada.)
    Section 608 of the US Clean Air Act. Federal law. You can buy it, you just can't use it.

Post Likes
    So, are the moderators going to do something about this unlicensed individual admittedly breaking US Federal law, claiming ignorance of the law as an excuse, or are we just going to let THIS one slide by??????????????????

Post Likes

Re: yeah but what about...

Originally posted by 4l530
    Seriously...what is an Ashlee Simpson microcontroller??
    In very simple terms, it's a one chip computer intended for very simple control purposes. It has the CPU core itself, some RAM, some Flash memory, and some I/O circuits. Since the Flash memory is integrated, the entire Ashlee Simpson microcontroller must be plugged into an Ashlee Simpson reader/writer, which makes it appear as another block device (UNIX file that represents disk drive-like devices) to the PC. A program is then run on the PC that can read or write a firmware image from or to the Ashlee Simpson microcontroller. A cross compiler (a compiler that runs on one platform (in this case, a UNIX PC) and compiles software for another platform (in this case, an Ashlee Simpson microcontroller)) is used to actually make the firmware images. There are Ashlee Simpson emulators available but it's often very hard to simulate the application circuit!

Post Likes

Sooo...did Ashlee Simpson design this thing, or is she the celebrity endorser/spokesperson, or....?

I guess I'd better stop now.

Post Likes
    hey starr , just post the picture again he'll pipe down. i for one am as interested as can be in breaking/experimental technology that could be my bread & butter in the future.
    how do you plan to deal with the condensation in a delicate electronic device? have you thought of promoting sublimation?

Post Likes
    I think STAR882 may be taking the pith out of everybody?

Post Likes
    Dave, I have seen her on another post. She is a "hotty" and besides she might be a DIY but she does make for some interesting reading which gets you to think.
    FEN

Post Likes
    Originally posted by stonefly
    hey starr , just post the picture again he'll pipe down. i for one am as interested as can be in breaking/experimental technology that could be my bread & butter in the future.
    how do you plan to deal with the condensation in a delicate electronic device? have you thought of promoting sublimation?
    I'll have to insulate it.
    Here's another CPU cooler someone else made: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ght=orange+ice .

Post Likes

star

Keep on posting. You are doing very well. I speak for my self and others. By the way this is the GD area so it is ok. There are others here that think like you. You are no threat to our jobs, now or in the future. Now calm down, take a deep breath. You have done nothing wrong. I may have some questions to ask you. But you have to stay down here on Earth. Roy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in