Carrier 20 ton unloader action backwards

I know this is a long post but any help is much appreciated, Im working on this unit Name:  01.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  46.6 KB We changed the compressor last week due to mechanical failure, pulled a vacuum overnight, and charged the next morning to what i thought was 10-13 SH and 0 SC (I found out today my brand new fluke meter was reading 10 degrees higher than my buddys same model brand new fluke meter with the same temp clamp, so now im not sure if i had 0 SH and 10 sC, and my infared was reading the same as his meter so hell if i know) Anyway when i charged it, the compressor was loaded and both CFMs were running. it ran for a few days as far as i know and went down saturday, we went back monday and found the control transformer blown, a 6 amp high voltage fuse for the tformer blown, and a low voltage fuse tripped. We got it all ready to go again and found the smoke detector pulling 7.5 amps, so we unwired it, then found the contactor pulling 5.4 amps (new contactor with compressor) changed the contactor and got it where it would run. When we brought the comp on it sounded like it was going to come apart, like liquid refrigerant had migrated into the compressor. we turned it off and checked some things and noticed the crankcase heater was not working( this is the second replacement compressor in this system) 3 total. so we brought it on again and it started to quiet down so we ran it for about 10 to 15 minutes when we noticed the head with the unloader was Extremely, like 300 degrees hot. we turned it off and noticed the oil sightglass was empty( yes the compressor was shipped with oil, and before we started it after we fixed the short the sight glass was full im guessing with mostly liquid refrigerant) so we got the boss involved he came out and wanted to run it, so we did it started up good but after some run time the head was getting HOt again, we decided to jump y1 and y2 to load the compressor when i did it was Bad , amp draw jump to 55 from 28 and sounded like it was going to come on out of the condenser. We turned it off immediately!! We returned today and found this when we took the head and valve plate offName:  IMG_2370.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  52.9 KBName:  IMG_0377.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  47.3 KBName:  IMG_3355.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  44.1 KBName:  IMG_4749.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  39.1 KBName:  IMG_6237.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  55.6 KBName:  0.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  34.9 KB

The gasket is obviously not in tact, not sure if it was that way from the factory or not, looking at the marking on the valve plate after we took the gasket off. anyway we took the old metal gasket off of the old head and slapped it on pulled in vac and charged. Started up and ran, good oil level in sight glass, head not getting very hot, looking good.... Well we thought the compressor was not loaded, we did not have a call to y2 and we jumped it out and suction psi went up? amp draw went down from 26 to 17? took jumper off and amp draw went back up and ext. Like the unloder is doing the opposite of what it should, i know they have diffrent types of unloaders but this was the original unloaderName:  IMG_1340.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  46.2 KBName:  02.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  38.7 KBName:  IMG_3613.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  42.6 KB Any ideas of why this would happen, and by the way we have a crankcase heater coming tomarrow
    Last edited by david912; 12-05-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    (((PEACE IS THAT BRIEF MOMENT IN HISTORY WHERE EVERYBODY STANDS AROUND RELOADING)))

I think there is a relay in there for the unloader, maybe someone swapped the contacts on that relay. Just something to check . Was there voltage on it when you hit Y2?

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    I think there is a relay in there for the unloader, maybe someone swapped the contacts on that relay. Just something to check . Was there voltage on it when you hit Y2?
    . thanks man I already checked that, its a single set of normally open contacts, that are working properly, its got a second transformer that just controls that relay and solinoid,

What is the model number for the compressor.
    The capacity control is a suction cut off for unloading the compressor. The solenoid will be energized to unload the compressor and de-energized to load.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like there wasn't enough load in the space for both stages of cooling, so the compressor unloaded. When unloaded, the suction psi will go up and amps will go down.

If it's an electric unloader its unloaded when energized and loaded when de energized ,the coil on the unloader that is....

Go to Carlyle .com and you can educate yourself on this compressor
    mikeacman

Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    The capacity control is a suction cut off for unloading the compressor. The solenoid will be energized to unload the compressor and de-energized to load.
    Thanks man, and the model # 06ET 250 360
    (((PEACE IS THAT BRIEF MOMENT IN HISTORY WHERE EVERYBODY STANDS AROUND RELOADING)))

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacman View Post
    If it's an electric unloader its unloaded when energized and loaded when de energized ,the coil on the unloader that is....

Go to Carlyle .com and you can educate yourself on this compressor
    That is what i was thinking but that N.O relay has been there a long time, so i thought i was missing something, But today we went back with a N.C relay so when Y2 calls it de energizes and loads. Could that have been a problem from the begining, being that the compressor has been starting loaded every time. from what i understand the compressor should start unloaded

Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    Preciate the info, just got done reading threw it