Thread: New gas line..

New gas line..

Well after spending most of monday ..under a house ..running a New 1" gas line in blackpipe..thought everything was fine..went to test..for the inspector..had a leak..went through everthing twice..with preasure and soap..finally found a pin hole in a coupling..Right in the bottom of the H in china..glad it was only a few feet from the crawlspace opening.. just got me wondering what time..might do to a new gas line..and are there any american made coupling's and elbows..or has anybody else had problems....

It's just sad that this country still imports things that country knowing all the problems in the past in regards to quality

Quote Originally Posted by BRnGT View Post
    are there any american made coupling's and elbows..or has anybody else had problems....
    I have run into this problem many a times. It's the cheap sand casting used by the chinese manufacturers. They have almost zero quality control.

There are American made fittings available, but they are up to three times more expensive than the chinese ones. One way I have got around this issue, is to use CSST. Less fittings, and possible failure points over black pipe and questionable fittings. At least with CSST it's less labor to fix a crappy fitting than on a black pipe system, IMHO.

I can't believe it has come down to CSST being more durable and higher quality than black pipe. That's sad. I don't think I would try to use it to make a stair rail, though.

Invest in a pipe threader and thread your own pipe, just a thought I know it is not practical.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Invest in a pipe threader and thread your own pipe, just a thought I know it is not practical.
    Not sure what you mean here.....he installed a coupling. What do crappy fittings have to do with a pipe threader?
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Yes I have had pinhole Fittings also. Could you see it from the inside? On a few I noticed a void on the inside like an air bubble and sure enough it leaked there. It's not a bad idea to inspect fittings before using them. I'm not saying you could see it or should have caught it. Sad when you have to look at every darn thing anymore to make sure it's defect free and what you asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Not sure what you mean here.....he installed a coupling. What do crappy fittings have to do with a pipe threader?
    Maybe he means he should get a furnace, some casting sand, and a lathe.

American Copper and Brass sells "Anvil" brand www.acandb.com

Leran sells "Ward" brand www.e-leran.com

We've used both brands for years and had no problems. Both these companies sell imported fittings as well, so be sure you pick the "namebrand" ones when you order.