+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suppliers claim "our brand is the same as (insert major manufacturer)"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    One of the primary advantages of all-aluminum coils, is that you get rid of the "dissimilar metals" issue.

Think about it. Where do most coils leak?

At the tube sheet.....

Modern copper resi coils aren't field repairable anyway.
    Maybe im showing some ignorance, but ive never heard about the residential copper coils not being field repairable? What do you mean?

Post Likes
    X2. And the newer aluminum coils I've had no problems with. Its just the older ones I've had to take back. Espcially the goodman coils. The carrier coils seem to nb e made better imho.

Post Likes
    Sorry about the typo. It should read be not nb. I can't edit my posts for some reason at this time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Maybe im showing some ignorance, but ive never heard about the residential copper coils not being field repairable? What do you mean?
    The copper is too thin....the price we pay for "efficiency".....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Makes sense

Post Likes
    If you poke a hole in it, they're repairable.

If it springs a leak and you fix it, you'll be back next week fixing another leak.

Post Likes
    true.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

Just remember, when a salesman's lips are moving... !
    BAHH! Sitting here with a grin on my face! Thanks!

(I'm realizing that more and more I'm trolling for laughs)

Post Likes
    Just a quick explanation about copper AC evap coils (indoor coils):

When two different metals are in contact, and it is wet... a process called 'dissimilar metal corrosion' happens. The water causes the two metals to become a battery, the minute elec current causes the metals to deteriorate. In my experience, it is not the contact between the CO and AL... it is the contact between the CO and steel end plates. And yeah, that area is difficult to repair. Done it... however difficult. Better to either replace the coil or replace the system.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    That last statement makes me look like a hero about 3 times a month during the summer. A dremel tool and low heat will fix coil leaks at the tube sheet. If the customer don't ahve the replace I will repair all day long. And I have yet to be called back on a repair like this, knock on wood.

Now Formicary leaks are a different story. I am talking about stress crack type leaks. Formicary leaks that bubble little cacunes down the coil have no help.

On the aluminum coils, there are kits to repair those and some products with low melt points out more and more.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Post Likes
    I have been told that Goodman puts better parts in the Amana line and uses a different circuit board with more bells and whistles. No one around my area sells amana due to a cocky distributor years ago.

Payne is the old Carrier design.

Personally, I like selling companies that find something that works and sticks with it. I like to sell equipment that has parts that any hvac company can get and will likely have in their truck. I do not like where the hvac industry is heading with special parts on equipment. I am tired of waiting a week to get a part for Trane and Carrier. Twice I have been told that txvs are 2 months out at Carrier. That is absolute bull crap. If you have something under warranty you should have the parts.
    I have heard several complaints about Tranes new airhandlers, which is a disappointment because they had a good design for so many years.
    Just my opinion.

Post Likes
    I think they call that process dielectric

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    I am tired of waiting a week to get a part for Trane and Carrier. Twice I have been told that txvs are 2 months out at Carrier. That is absolute bull crap. If you have something under warranty you should have the parts.
    Amen, brother !!

My local Heil distributor is also a "stocking Copeland distributor"....I've witnessed multiple occasions, where a "dealer" had a bad compressor in warranty, and they had the compressor in stock...but they wouldn't let the dealer have it, because it wasn't "ICP warranty stock".

Oh sure, they'll SELL it to you, but you still have to wait a week for the warranty compressor to come from ICP...and then you'll have one of your very own in stock....at your shop, on your dime.....unless you want to make your warranty customer wait a week....and you know where that will get YOU

Post Likes
    I know which supply house chain you refer too. I used to go in and pick up compressors 3 or 4 at a time for home warranty company work (ahs) while guys like you got stuck waiting. Sorry John. I agree its not right. People that deal in the equipment that a supply house sells SHOULD get priority over someone like me.

Post Likes
    I think they call that process dielectric
    galvanic corrosion Name:  emot-science.gif
Views: 1102
Size:  775 Bytes

Post Likes
    Sometimes the warranty might be different. We install mostly Ruud. Lifetime warranty on heat exchanger. Weathering is the same thing, a little cheaper and I think 20 years on the heat exchanger. Other than that....same unit.
    I used to work at carrier in Syracuse NY back in the '80's. when we switched from Carrier to Bryant, the only things we changed out were the data tags and the badges. The actual units sat on the assembly line while we changed them.
    With that said though, be careful because there is some junk out there.
    once you think you know everything, you'll never learn another thing!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalberto View Post
    Sometimes the warranty might be different. We install mostly Ruud. Lifetime warranty on heat exchanger. Weathering is the same thing, a little cheaper and I think 20 years on the heat exchanger. Other than that....same unit.
    I used to work at carrier in Syracuse NY back in the '80's. when we switched from Carrier to Bryant, the only things we changed out were the data tags and the badges. The actual units sat on the assembly line while we changed them.
    With that said though, be careful because there is some junk out there.
    I had a Rheem unit this spring with a bad heat exchanger. Horizontal unit in a crawlspace with a right hand supply and exhaust coming out of the left. Called to get a replacement xchanger and they no longer make the furnace or xchanger, even though it was in the warranty period of 20 years. How can they legally do that? So instead of getting a heat exchanger they gave them $275 toward a new RHEEM unit of their choice. I don't think that is right. If it is under warranty then the parts should be available.

I am told that Carrier has already stoped carrying some of thier 2 stage compressors. I think Carrier does too much R&D. I like companies that find something that works and sticks with it. Change is good, but you don't have to change everything at one freeking time.

Post Likes
    I am told that Carrier has already stoped carrying some of thier 2 stage compressors. I think Carrier does too much R&D. I like companies that find something that works and sticks with it. Change is good, but you don't have to change everything at one freeking time.
    I won't miss those Bryant compressors one bit.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in