+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good combustion analysis how-to book and/or training in Northern California?

Post Likes

Good combustion analysis how-to book and/or training in Northern California?

I recently attended a "class" but it was really a sales pitch.
    I want some fairly thorough knowledge before I even think
    about buying a tool. There seems to be a lot of sales bs
    thrown around--how to use combustion analysis to scare
    homeowners into buying a new system. I want none of that.
    I want MY HVAC life to be easier, to be confident and relaxed about
    my spotting and troubleshooting (and not misdiagnosing)
    furnace issues. So I would like a book I could read and
    re-read, and then maybe a good class. Flying to a class
    is not realistically an option. I'm in northern California.

I can't see youtube videos but would also be interested
    in a decent (thorough) DVD package if something like that
    is available.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Google this

jim davis combustion training

Jim changed forever the way this industry thinks, PERIOD !! Ever hear of the company Bacharach who makes CO test instruments? Well, there isn't a single person with knowledge from that company that doesn't owe Jim Davis a big thank you. He took the instruments and instructed people in the field on how to use them and what the readings mean. He has helped thousands of techs AND ENGINEERS. There are many engineers who were messed up in the early 80's before CO was talked about except for those servicing Oil Fired units. He changed everyone in our company from being a typical service person to an expert. I'm not connected to him or his new training company, all I'm saying is that in the 3o years I've worked in this field Jim's class is STILL the best I've ever attended, and this includes all the classes at ASHREA shows.

Post Likes
    Yes, I googled for NCI and all of those classes seem to be back east, which in my case,
    applies to Texas and east of there. Maybe I'm missing it?

Thank you.

Post Likes
    I took Jim's class in November in Cincinnati, OH. One of the fellows had come from Rochester, NY for it. It was a fantastic class, 3 days that made my head spin. He provided great printed material as well. I highly recommend it. I, too, don't like sales classes in the guise of "training." Jim's class was pure training.
    I think the schedule is winding down for the year.
    The folks on that phone at NCI are helpful, too, if you want information about next year's schedule.

Post Likes
    Flying back east or anywhere is not in the cards for me. Maybe Jim Davis would
    like to take the show out west?

I didn't (yet) find a book, but I found a 52 page PDF from Testo here:
    (Unfortunately, the link is long because it is my google result, not just the direct
    link to the file. Sorry. )
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...nOAgyjFgEodNXw

Post Likes
    George, we periodically do have classes in Cypress, Ca., where we have a training facility. We also have tried to schedule in Sacramento but they have all been cancelled do to lack of interest. Not much scheduled in the west after the first of the year but things sometimes change very quickly. Might be doing more with California gas companies next year.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    George, we periodically do have classes in Cypress, Ca., where we have a training facility. We also have tried to schedule in Sacramento but they have all been cancelled do to lack of interest. Not much scheduled in the west after the first of the year but things sometimes change very quickly. Might be doing more with California gas companies next year.
    Sacramento would be convenient! I will monitor our local utilities'
    class schedules and look forward to your appearance.
    Thank you.

Post Likes
    X2 on Jim Davis' class!!!!

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    carefull Jim, gas guys are unteachable. you cant tell'm anything. you have to prove it to 'em.....

no really sure whi i know that..
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    carefull Jim, gas guys are unteachable. you cant tell'm anything. you have to prove it to 'em.....

no really sure whi i know that..
    Thank goodness ever so often there comes a person like yourself, that is a gas man, that is willing to learn new things and also educate me on the things I don't know.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I took Jim's class in November in Cincinnati, OH. One of the fellows had come from Rochester, NY for it. It was a fantastic class, 3 days that made my head spin. He provided great printed material as well. I highly recommend it. I, too, don't like sales classes in the guise of "training." Jim's class was pure training.
    I think the schedule is winding down for the year.
    The folks on that phone at NCI are helpful, too, if you want information about next year's schedule.
    Sorry kdean I was a little slow on that lead in.....Yes I drove 8.5 hrs for the class and It was well worth it! Very enlighting.

Post Likes
    I also took Jim's class and was enlightened. Still learning from it actually. Lots to wrap your head around. Now if I could only figure out where to put that pesky probe. Lol
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in