Thread: my evaporator coil is leaking refrigerant. Dectron DSV-020

Post Likes

my evaporator coil is leaking refrigerant. Dectron DSV-020

I have a dectron DSV-020 unit and the sight glass is bubbling when the compressor is on.
    I suspect that the evaporator is leaking. (again)
    If I get the service company to supply and replace it, what ballpark should I expect the quote to come in at?
    the evaporator coil is a flat vertical mounted unit 27"x16"x12" deep.
    I'm not looking for anything more than a rough idea. is it $$$ or $$$ or $$$ or what?
    I've seen companies on the internet (XYZ) offering an evaporator coil of this size for around $$$.
    is that a realistic price for a dectron evaporator coil?

has anyone out there had to do this before? I'm not looking for a commitment, just an idea of what is reasonable.

thanks for your help.
    Ole Jensen.
    Ottawa Canada.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-06-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: pricing

Post Likes
    Sorry, but pricing isn't permitted here.

Post Likes
    If I can't ask the question here, do you have any thoughts on how I can get some idea of a ballpark price to do this?
    I could ask 4 contractors to come out and give me a quote, but that is unfair to them because 3 of them won't get the job.

thanks,
    Ole Jensen.

Post Likes
    So you would be choosing the cheapest?

Post Likes
    perhaps that is what some people do when they ask for multiple quotes.
    I never choose the cheapest just because of the price, I choose the one that gives the best presentation at a reasonable price.
    that includes explanations of what might have happened, and what can be done to prevent it in the future, if that is possible.
    before I start, I would like to know what kind of price I can expect. is that unreasonable?
    when I have a deck built, I ask other people what they paid so I have some idea of what to expect.
    why would this be any different?
    I don't know anyone else that had to replace the evaporator coil, so I don't know who to ask.

Post Likes
    I certainly understand that and was just trying to stress the importance of getting a quality job done. You don't even really know if its leaking. And by assuming it is bypasses a important step - diagnosing the problem.

I would start by paying someone to look at it. See what they recommend.

Is this a heat pump or what exactly? Never heard of dectron.

Post Likes
    i would want to know for sure the coil is leaking also using a sight glass to check the refrigerant level is not wise

Post Likes
    SBKold:
    Dectron is a manufacturer of indoor pool HVAC systems. they are called Dry-o-tron. I came here because there are a number of posts on this site regarding these types of units. Dectron is a well respected manufacturer.

SBKold and catmanacman:
    when I saw the sight glass bubbling, I had my HVAC guy come in and check for a leak. he used a sniffer. he is the one who confirmed there was a leak. I did not call in the regional distributor because I find their business ethics questionable. I use a reputable HVAC service company to do the regular maintenance. the HVAC service company has been servicing my equipment for 10 years, but every time I need a part, they are required to purchase it through the regional distributor. I have been in the computer business for over 40 years. In my line of work, I know what controllers cost and I know what sensors cost.
    the regional distributor's prices for these items are not reasonable. I know nothing about evaporator coils, so I am looking for some help in determining a reasonable price for the work.

Post Likes
    Dectrons are specialized equipment so if you need a part for one you are kind if bent over a barrel to buy from them. A sight glass won't necessarily be full of liquid in mild temperatures but if you tech tested and detected a leak then I would concur you probably have a leak. It's impossible to say what something costs bc what something would cost in rural South Carolina could be 1 dollar different than it would cost in New York City or San Francisco.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-09-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Post Likes
    jtrammel:
    thanks for your response. the fact that the difference could be thousands of dollars at least gives me the hint that I am looking 1 dollar to start with. That is what I have been trying to determine.
    thanks,
    Ole Jensen.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-09-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Post Likes
    Thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. So what if a guys leak detector goes off it could have been a false reading. At any rate a tiny leak is not a immediate emergency, why all the anxiety?

Post Likes
    toocoolforschool:
    I was told by my service guy that I need to replace the coil. it is already 10 below here and the humidity is up to 63% and running down the windows. I have been told it will take 4-6 weeks to get a replacement coil.

a work buddy suggested I get them to pump in some R-GLO (?) to identify where the leak is and try to repair it for the winter and deal with the replacement in the summer.

what do you guys think of that idea?

thanks,
    Ole Jensen.

Post Likes
    Sounds like a plan, however welding on the coil could be risky but should be okay those guys are good up there.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-09-2013 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    DectronD, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ole_thor View Post
    If I can't ask the question here, do you have any thoughts on how I can get some idea of a ballpark price to do this?
    I could ask 4 contractors to come out and give me a quote, but that is unfair to them because 3 of them won't get the job.

thanks,
    Ole Jensen.
    Unfair is getting a price idea over the internet, and then telling your HVAC contractor that it should only cost what the guy/guys on the internet said, when he tells you it will cost X more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ole_thor View Post
    toocoolforschool:
    I was told by my service guy that I need to replace the coil. it is already 10 below here and the humidity is up to 63% and running down the windows.

what do you guys think of that idea?
    thanks, Ole Jensen.
    You wish to get rid of the moisture, Open the window.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    You wish to get rid of the moisture, Open the window.
    The idea is to get rid of the high humidity, and keep the temp up. Opening the window lowers the temp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in