Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POE Oil

POE Oil

On a small system using R22 when installing new compressor that comes with POE Oil do you have to drain it out and put Minerial oil back in ?

Thanks

You don't HAVE to.

Quote Originally Posted by NANOTECH View Post
    On a small system using R22 when installing new compressor that comes with POE Oil do you have to drain it out and put Minerial oil back in ?

Thanks

Thanks Phase I was not sure if you could use POE Oil with R22 !!

Nope. Don't have too. I usually do but I'm silly about such things.

My understanding is POE work just fine with r-22 in m/t&h/t systems, low temp will have oil return issues. Never tested first hand, YMMV.

22 does just fine with POE. R22 as a low temp is a different animal and requires a demand cooling module to keep discharge temperatures down. As far as issues with oil return, I have 2 condensers (1 freezer) that are low temp 22 that I take care of. I haven't noticed any problems with it.

JP will be along here soon to tell me I'm wrong. :grin:

POE and R-22 is indifferent to MT or LT, it works on both.

LT R-22 requires de-superheating to keep discharge temperatures down. Weather it be Demand Cooling or Liquid injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    POE and R-22 is indifferent to MT or LT, it works on both.

LT R-22 requires de-superheating to keep discharge temperatures down. Weather it be Demand Cooling or Liquid injection.

This is the correct answer.

Actually, if you took a brand new, R-22 low temp system today, I would prefer to use POE oil in it.

As a synthetic oil, it is PROBABLY more temperature resistant than the mineral oil of the past.

Oil return is as much a function of proper piping design as it is a function of refrigerant and oil

What type of oil the system was in the original compressor? If mineral I would drain the poe from the new comp and replace with mineral then install. I will not deliberately mix those oils in large quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is the correct answer.

Actually, if you took a brand new, R-22 low temp system today, I would prefer to use POE oil in it.

As a synthetic oil, it is PROBABLY more temperature resistant than the mineral oil of the past.

Oil return is as much a function of proper piping design as it is a function of refrigerant and oil
    Sporlan just told us from their testing POE does resist breakdown better at high temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    Sporlan just told us from their testing POE does resist breakdown better at high temps.
    POE oil can tolerate higher temperatures than AB or mineral oils. But it suffers hydrolysis in the presence of moisture. A diatribe of mine while employed at a former employer of mine on this subject: http://sporlanonline.com/November%20...Cold%20WAR.pdf
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. – Abraham Maslow

I would leave the POE in and make a note of it on the unit.

Then if it needs service in the future, you'll be ready for any number of alternative refrigerants that require a partial oil change.

Andy, I miss the Cold War emails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast