Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airflow problem in the basement

Post Likes
    Pictures are unnecessary unless I'm the contractor bidding the job.

You need advise, then take dan sw fl advise. That would be the most logical way of determining proper air flow.

The airflow requirement needs to be determine first (Heat Load), than readings of actual airflow needs to be measured, then compared.
    Anything else is just a guest; even pictures!!

Godspeed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Like Dan, I,m confused.

But, what intrigues me most is this post.
    I don't know how to highlight these points so I'll have to re-type them:

Energy audit per system $$$$...what is this?
    Is this a simple furnace-A/C check?
    Subsidized by the utility company (really)?

Here's the best one......duct(work) analysis $$$$?
    Someone charges money for this? Who does the "analysis"?
    Please write soon........I gotta know!
    Since other -fiscal cliff- things from the small-minded boys in Washington DC
    already got me " Really torqued up" this AM,
    let's simply tell it like it is.

Post #16, if accurately written, describes the actions of a less-than-honest contractor.
    _ OP { stant_98} obviously needs to "help himself" by moving on and continuing to learn of an appropriate path to BOTH DESCRIBE and resolve
    _ whatever issues he has with comfort in his "new" residence.

I could use a much, much stronger [editable ] words but I think
    I have used them All in blasting off a letter
    to my Senator$ and congre$$man
    who wish to $teal-my-wallet.

From a normally calm , thoughtful person.
    Sorry.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    p
    Quote Originally Posted by stant_98 View Post
    My family and I moved into our new home 3 months ago. Turned on the heat and the end of October and my wife who stays home with our toddler age kids noticed the stuffy air in the basement. I reached up with my hand against registers and the airflow is really low - probably less than half of what it feels like on the main level.

We had a heating tune-up, seasonal checkup done yesterday and were told the furnace runs well - no issues. The filters are clean.

We also had a contractor today who inspected the ducts - the main supply duct and the return down in the utility room. He said that he could not see any dampers on the main supply duct (that goes up from the furnace leading up to the main level and branches off horizontally to the basement). He also said that he thought there may be registers that have been sealed off inside the drywalls; or some other problem that's restricting airflow velocity. He did not perform additional in-depth testing.

This is a Winchester Homes colonial type SFH built in 1999. The basement was finished by the previous owner after they initially bought the house.

Is there a cost-effective way to repair this problem without opening up drywalls to locate a potential area of air leakage or airflow being restricted?
    Do you know of any specific tests or equipment that can be used/installed to troubleshoot this problem?

Your advise is much appreciated!

Rheem gas furnace 75000 BTU's/hr. 80 AFUE.

Thank you very much!
    Most basements are a little stuffy at the end of a summer unless they have a dehumidifier that is able to maintain <50%RH. Also most most homes need enough fresh air to purge indoor pollutants in 4-5 hours. The remains of a little mold growth throughout the summer could be described as stuffy. This odor will slowly subside as the space dries out. It is not a air circulation but rather a matter of +65%RH in the basement through the summer. The moisture level decline as the outside air dew point declines.
    HOw much fresh air are you putting into your home? A good measure is the inside dew point of your home compared to the outside dew point. Is this home in a green grass climate? Measure the temp/%RH in the home and tell us where you live, how many occupants, and humidifier. Fresh air infiltration can be estimated. During cold windy weather, most homes get more fresh air naturally. During the summer, basements should be <50%RH to avoid the stuffy smell.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    p

Most basements are a little stuffy at the end of a summer unless they have a dehumidifier that is able to maintain <50%RH. Also most most homes need enough fresh air to purge indoor pollutants in 4-5 hours. The remains of a little mold growth throughout the summer could be described as stuffy. This odor will slowly subside as the space dries out. It is not a air circulation but rather a matter of +65%RH in the basement through the summer. The moisture level decline as the outside air dew point declines.

How much fresh air are you putting into your home?
    A good measure is the inside dew point of your home compared to the outside dew point.
    Is this home in a green grass climate?
    Measure the temp/%RH in the home and tell us where you live, how many occupants, and humidifier.
    Fresh air infiltration can be estimated.

During cold windy weather, most homes get more fresh air naturally. During the summer, basements should be <50%RH to avoid the stuffy smell.

Regards TB
    I was thinking lack of air distribution based on statements.

Thanks for the clarification of - stuffy -. I definitely understand - basement odor -.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in