Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not resi, but y'all would love the 42" high crawl above our third floor offices. Not sure why it was built like this, but it has lights, a bearing floor, and you get 66" high (based on my height) between the concrete joists. Sure beats some of the places I'm hearing described.

I got caught in an attempt to wriggle through a small triangle passageway joining two attics.
    Long time ago but I felt the same panic. Finally calmed down and was able to back out.
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

if the crawl looks to tight i take my sawsall in wth me .
    We really need change now

I don't know now the heck you fit through a foundation vent. That's nuts. How small are you? What size vent?

I'm 6'0 200lbs and I couldn't imagine fitting through our typical vents.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

So if I can't see my little buddy I should change jobs??

One of the biggest rules of entering confined spaces is that your accessway needs to be big enough for not only you, buy the person who is going to rescue you if you become incapacitated.

127 hours.

Here's a rule: LEAVE SOMEBODY A NOTE or be prepared to cut your arm off.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    One of the biggest rules of entering confined spaces is that your accessway needs to be big enough for not only you, buy the person who is going to rescue you if you become incapacitated.
    Good point. From an osha standpoint alot of crawls would be confined spaces.

A few weeks ago we did a big old elevated house here in New Orleans (the chick that founded Coyote Ugly's house...still smoking hot). She had 2 complete split systems (all ductwork, coil and heater, not condenser) under there. I was under that house for 5 full work days...lots of broken glass and bricks and no light except our cords. I've never been claustrophobic before, but every now and then some instinct told me to immediately get the hell out from under there. Very unnerving and the worst week of work of my life. I need a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    I don't know now the heck you fit through a foundation vent. That's nuts. How small are you? What size vent?

I'm 6'0 200lbs and I couldn't imagine fitting through our typical vents.

5'8 150lbs size of a concrete block 8x16 i think.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    5'8 150lbs size of a concrete block 8x16 i think.
    That's still a tight fit I'm sure.

You'd think by now there would be some better codes written to keep us from having to deal with these tight crawl spaces in the future. If I were writing the code I would not allow any HVAC duct lower than 3ft. from the ground & no equipment lower than 3ft. from the ground or attic floor & at least 18" clearance on top. Make it be the responsibility of the architects, engineers & builders to make sure there is adequate space for the HVAC system. This would force them to either have a mechanical closet for us to work in or a decent sized crawl or attic space to work in.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    You'd think by now there would be some better codes written to keep us from having to deal with these tight crawl spaces in the future. If I were writing the code I would not allow any HVAC duct lower than 3ft. from the ground & no equipment lower than 3ft. from the ground or attic floor & at least 18" clearance on top. Make it be the responsibility of the architects, engineers & builders to make sure there is adequate space for the HVAC system. This would force them to either have a mechanical closet for us to work in or a decent sized crawl or attic space to work in.
    Don't forget to add:
    "All equitment must be in the envelope". That way it can't be blazing hot in the workspace
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast