Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    What a ball buster! (funny pic though...)
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    What a ball buster! (funny pic though...)

Not trying to be a Ball Buster, but...

If you get stuck in a crawl, you're too fat for crawls. If you feel like you're gonna have a heart attack in a crawl, maybe some personal responsibility is in order. Time to make your job a responsibility, and make sure you can fit into places your job demands you go into. If that is not something you can do, then HVAC is not for you as a career...

hey that guy is pregnant.

The only panic attack I have ever had was gettin up in front of about 100 people. I do remember one crawl space where I was laying on my back, arms over my head, every time I breathed my chest would press heavy into the floor joist.

HotWaterHeat

Why you bust my balls? This was not a normal crawspace, the flex was in the far smallest corner. This was a good long time cust.
    Should I have said no to the job? Maybe, but I didn't. The floor joist was a foot from the ground. I am a 36 waist and can still see my little buddy.

I was shareing my service call and wondering if other HVAC techs have had a panic attack or have been stuck in a crawlspace.

I do agree with you, it you have limitations, find another field of work. Getting stuck and haveing a panic attack was an exception.

STUD

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    HotWaterHeat

I am a 36 waist and can still see my little buddy.

STUD
    lmao!

Fun thread guys, thanks!
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Been in several burning buildings with an SCBA on. Can,t see anything and the fire is roaring. I think about that when I'm in situations like you were in and it calms me down just knowing I've been in a lot worse places.

12" is about 3" higher than the tightest I've been in. And that crawl door pic is nearly three times the size of some I've done.
    smallest gap slid through was 8 3/4" high, smallest hole was 12x12 filter grill. Wonder if I'd still fit 7 yr later?

Had a rough one last year- had to finish an install. attic was just high enough to roll over at the highest point. Felt like had been beaten with 2x4 next day bruised up from lying/rolling/crawling across joists.

One access hole was only about an 1" higher than a crawlspace vent hole and as wide (one cinder block).

Didn't let myself freak while in small spaces, but some times at night laying in bed it unsettles me thinking about some of those holes.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

1st one I was around 16-17 years old running pipe, felt something slide across my legs......no way out...lucky it was just a rat snake.

The only panic attack I had was going up on a roof, about 30ft, when I went back down felt the ladder give way, lucky me I was able to get back on roof and heard both parts of the ladder hit the ground. after 30 min or so got the store manager to hand the ladder back up, put it together....

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    HotWaterHeat

Why you bust my balls? This was not a normal crawspace, the flex was in the far smallest corner. This was a good long time cust.
    Should I have said no to the job? Maybe, but I didn't. The floor joist was a foot from the ground. I am a 36 waist and can still see my little buddy.

I was shareing my service call and wondering if other HVAC techs have had a panic attack or have been stuck in a crawlspace.

I do agree with you, it you have limitations, find another field of work. Getting stuck and haveing a panic attack was an exception.

STUD
    Those hippies out on the west coast don't know what it's like for us East coast guys.

They have 3' crawlspaces compared to our 1.5' crawls
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Makes me glad full basements are the norm around here. Still a few dirt floor crawls though, had one a few years ago had a good 2 feet but also a leaking sewer drain.

I was in an attic attaching some flex, it was 120 degrees and I had been in there for awhile. I started getting dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out so I started to panic and tried to get out of there as fast as I could in doing so I managed to run roofing nails in my head and back.

I go through foundation vents all the time if they are removable and if its closer to where I need to go than the acces door. Arms first live diving into a pool, it gets a little tight right at the hips but a little squirm and in I go. I'm always elected to go on the low ones. Its not that bad just get in, do what you gotta do and get the hell out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast