Gas boiler (Carrier BWB vs. Crown Aruba 4)

Gas boiler (Carrier BWB vs. Crown Aruba 4)

We are replacing our old boiler with a new one. We have received two different quotes. One for a Carrier 82% AFUE Model BWB 140,000 BTU and one for a Crown Boiler Aruba 4 model AWR105 105,000 BTU. We did some checking and determined we need about 80,000 BTU. So both boilers would be sufficient. Our house is 101 years old, 4 levels with an attic and full basement and about 1600 square feet. We live in Wisconsin about 4 blocks off Lake Michigan.

We are trying to determine if one of the brands is better than the other? I checked some consumer reviews and got conflicting information. The second question is do we need the additional BTU or is that just a waste?

Thank you.

Bigger is NOT better. Bigger short cycles which is inefficient and hard on the equipment.

What type of radiation? Baseboard? Cast iron radiators?

The BWB is new. We've sold the previous BW2 with good results. Made by Dunkirk.

We have two zones one with baseboard and one with cast iron radiators.

I like crown boilers, when we install an 80% we use crown. In reality they most likely have all of the same parts, I'm not familiar with carrier but there is really nothing major to go wrong. I would go with the one sized closer.

You'd need an installer who can handle the different temperature needs of the radiation. Usually the cast iron radiators don't need nearly as much heat as the baseboard. So to be the most efficient and comfy, he should design piping that puts cooler water to the radiators. Also the large water quantity of the radiators causes cooler return water which can cause problems with condensation in the sections and the flue. He should design piping to take that into consideration and possibly bleed some hot water into the return.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You'd need an installer who can handle the different temperature needs of the radiation. Usually the cast iron radiators don't need nearly as much heat as the baseboard. So to be the most efficient and comfy, he should design piping that puts cooler water to the radiators. Also the large water quantity of the radiators causes cooler return water which can cause problems with condensation in the sections and the flue. He should design piping to take that into consideration and possibly bleed some hot water into the return.
    X2, if you take the low bid I doubt you will get that. It's more work and parts but will last a long time.