Going from Siemens to Johnsons

I am looking to possibly take on a new job in another building. My only experience with controls/building automation has been with siemens. I have gone to several customer classes for siemens and have been pretty involved with the programming here on site. the place i am considering is all johnson controls. talking to the HR rep for johnsons, they have hired people before with siemens only background and they have done well in the company. have any of you made a switch of this type and how was it? thanks. looking forward to reading the comments.

I work in Johnson service and while I've never worked for Siemens I have worked (and still work) with some ex-Siemens guys through the years. One guy in Southern California took me through all the Siemens programming and tools but it was semi-pointless because I'll never be able to get the tools myself. I like the Johnson stuff better myself but of course im biased. They all said relatively the same thing, it's a steeper learning curve. All of the guys I know we're good controls techs... One guy never really seemed to care to learn anything but BACnet but I think that was a motivation thing. It's not going to be copy and paste line code anymore but In my opinion I think the tools to programming can be easier because the newer stuff is graphical for the most part and my 10 year old daughter could make systems with HVACPro. I think you can do a lot more custom work in much less time. We have some old JBASIC (line code on the front end) sites out there but there isn't really that many and most of it has been so tweaked by now you don't end up touching it much.

It also depends where you are going to work. If you're looking at a job in Systems (installation) then you'll probably not have to deal with any older stuff.

Also on a side note... One of my good buddies told me Johnson is much more corporate. I worked for a mom and pop before JCI... It is much more corporate but it turns out I don't mind. Its mostly just be safe and do your paperwork on time.. Job security is there... You know what to expect and to be honest you can look into and ask what you need to do to go where you want and it's attainable. I had a friend i met in training that was a branch manager in 5 years ... Not a job I'd want but it was were he wanted to go and he did it.

Good luck on your decision!

thanks for the response. if i decide to take the position i would be joining a Johnsons Controls team that runs a facility. so i am sure i would get a good mix of both ends. sounds like since i have a good controls background and have the baseline knowlegde i should be able to transistion just fine.

Oh okay, GWS. I have a lot of friends in GWS... A lot less corporate Being an operator on Metasys will be fine. I think as a habit JCI gives you more information that Siemens generally does... Sometimes that's bad, sometimes it's good... But in reality it's all the same ... It makes the fans turn on and valves open and close. HVAC is HVAC.. If you're interested you could actually do a lot of work the service techs do... Usually all the programming tools are on the workstation and its all pretty easy stuff.

Good luck regardless!