Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17

Thread: POE Oil

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    311

    POE Oil

    On a small system using R22 when installing new compressor that comes with POE Oil do you have to drain it out and put Minerial oil back in ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,066
    You don't HAVE to.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by NANOTECH View Post
    On a small system using R22 when installing new compressor that comes with POE Oil do you have to drain it out and put Minerial oil back in ?

    Thanks

    Thanks Phase I was not sure if you could use POE Oil with R22 !!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Nope. Don't have too. I usually do but I'm silly about such things.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    586
    My understanding is POE work just fine with r-22 in m/t&h/t systems, low temp will have oil return issues. Never tested first hand, YMMV.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,596
    22 does just fine with POE. R22 as a low temp is a different animal and requires a demand cooling module to keep discharge temperatures down. As far as issues with oil return, I have 2 condensers (1 freezer) that are low temp 22 that I take care of. I haven't noticed any problems with it.

    JP will be along here soon to tell me I'm wrong. :grin:

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,066
    POE and R-22 is indifferent to MT or LT, it works on both.

    LT R-22 requires de-superheating to keep discharge temperatures down. Weather it be Demand Cooling or Liquid injection.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    POE and R-22 is indifferent to MT or LT, it works on both.

    LT R-22 requires de-superheating to keep discharge temperatures down. Weather it be Demand Cooling or Liquid injection.

    This is the correct answer.

    Actually, if you took a brand new, R-22 low temp system today, I would prefer to use POE oil in it.

    As a synthetic oil, it is PROBABLY more temperature resistant than the mineral oil of the past.

    Oil return is as much a function of proper piping design as it is a function of refrigerant and oil

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    where it's nice and warm
    Posts
    275
    What type of oil the system was in the original compressor? If mineral I would drain the poe from the new comp and replace with mineral then install. I will not deliberately mix those oils in large quantities.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is the correct answer.

    Actually, if you took a brand new, R-22 low temp system today, I would prefer to use POE oil in it.

    As a synthetic oil, it is PROBABLY more temperature resistant than the mineral oil of the past.

    Oil return is as much a function of proper piping design as it is a function of refrigerant and oil
    Sporlan just told us from their testing POE does resist breakdown better at high temps.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    Sporlan just told us from their testing POE does resist breakdown better at high temps.
    POE oil can tolerate higher temperatures than AB or mineral oils. But it suffers hydrolysis in the presence of moisture. A diatribe of mine while employed at a former employer of mine on this subject: http://sporlanonline.com/November%20...Cold%20WAR.pdf
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    at a former employer of mine....
    Is it Professor Schoen now?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmira View Post
    Is it Professor Schoen now?
    Professor Emeritus perhaps.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. Abraham Maslow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event