+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new tool

Post Likes

My new tool

My company just started handing out Galaxy Tablets to all us techs.Did not get to use in field yet,because they are waiting for the protective cases to come in.Took it home this weekend to get the hang of it.Their suppose to have are top "TECH." guy give us a refresher course on using them.Any of you in the field have any luck with these?

Post Likes
    I love it. My company gives them to us also and we invoice, e-mail, store pdfs and obviously the ease of browsing the web for needed docs/info to name a few things. Mine tends to be buggy but what device isn't at times. Paper is a thing of the past. I only use paper to jot notes. All of my supply houses e-mail me quotes and orders with pricing included obviously. So much easier and faster.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Service manager is telling us we still have to fill out invoices until they figure how to install a spread sheet program on the system! I guess for nowwere using them for dispatch calls and mobile payment with a credit card attachment.Then email customer copy of receipt.

Post Likes
    open office is a free spreadsheet program they could get

Post Likes
    {sigh}...

Anyone else out there still carrying pagers and using CB radios?

Last year I was in a hardware store picking up something. The employee was a hardware lookin' type gal with a Marlboro hanging out of the corner of her mouth as she played on her smart phone. My pager went off and she says, loudly, "whu...whut the heyell, whose got a damn beeper in this day and and age?"

Freaking embarassing. Boss keeps saying one day you'll all be carrying tablets. After he sells the business and retires, no doubt.

Post Likes
    haha. we carried pagers until this spring. the only reason we got rid of them was one tech kept "not getting" pages. when people would see my pager they were always amazed that they were still available.

Post Likes
    We're supposed to get iPads in 6 months, I won't be holding my breath.

We did however switch phone carriers from Nextel to Verizon push to talk, and I gotta say its been an absolute nightmare!
    The push to talk works on occasion, messages that are sent out don't come through, and the phones in general just seem to stop working for no reason.
    I had to have my phone reset by the Verizon rep so that it would connect with the network, it really sucks when you can't communicate with your dispatcher.
    Oh and the best I saved for last, every day around 3;30-4:00 when your trying to get ahold of dispatch to see if your done the dispatch phones go down and your stuck wondering what to do!

Gotta love new technology!

Post Likes
    We use iPads for billing and swiping credit cards.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_K View Post
    We use iPads for billing and swiping credit cards.
    That's 21st century and how it should be for any company that is COD. Nothing wrong with old school but to stay with the times keeps the outfit as a whole running smoothly.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    we still invoice, use 2 way radios and cannot run credit cards in the field, our computers are DOS based, we farm out digital scanning of invoices into our system and technology scares our owner and "old" guys and we provide our own cell phones.

I do not see modernization anytime soon for us.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    we got the droid 4 we punch in and out, send/ recieve email to get calls, got the price book downloaded, we take a picture of our invoice then email it to the office so they can input it into the system,order truck stock, refrig. log all kinds of stuff...i love it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in