Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    And rightfully so. Do u own apt or just rent? Are you supposed to change filter or does a guy come around?
    I rent the apartment. We are responsible for changing the filters.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    If you can get the wheel off of the water valve, you might be able to bend the small refrigerant pipe around it. That is probably something I would tell your management to take care of. If the line does break, so what, let them fix it. A refrigerant leak would have to be huge (much larger than the few pounds that is in your system) for you to notice any ill effects from it. I wouldn't worry about it. Also tell them to re-insulate the bigger refrigerant pipe while they're there, otherwise water will leak from it during cooling mode.
    I'll recommend that to them. I'll probable have to re-insulate the large refrigerant pipe myself. My apartment complex seems to have a policy of, if something isn't completely broken we won't fix it. I have been in this apartment for 4 months and it took them 3 months to replace the evaporator coil. Nothing like 3 months of burning up on hot days and freezing on cold days/nights.

Good to know that there isn't enough refrigerant to notice any ill effects.

By the way, that technically isn't solder. It's Sil-Phos brazing alloy. Even though it is ugly, it's a strong joint.
    Got ya. I guess that's why I leave the HVAC work to the professionals.

Safe.

If you can get the wheel off of the water valve, you might be able to bend the small refrigerant pipe around it. That is probably something I would tell your management to take care of. If the line does break, so what, let them fix it. A refrigerant leak would have to be huge (much larger than the few pounds that is in your system) for you to notice any ill effects from it. I wouldn't worry about it. Also tell them to re-insulate the bigger refrigerant pipe while they're there, otherwise water will leak from it during cooling mode.

By the way, that technically isn't solder. It's Sil-Phos brazing alloy. Even though it is ugly, it's a strong joint.
    Safe yes, ugly you bet! All to common sad to say but true. Many years ago doing apt maint i did the same not proud of it just didnt know any better.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-05-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: non AOP Member
    Solutions Heating and Air, Inc. Jacksonville, Florida "Solutions for All Your HVAC Needs"

and, don't worry about the filter changing difficulties... the filter is not sealed, or even close to sealing, so most air is going around it anyway...
    the reason the line is pinched that way, is the coil is designed to have a larger line for flow... only way to do a proper job there would be to tear out the walls and install a new line. what I like most about your new repair is the pinched line is pinched onto a REDUCER... apparently they just cut out the old line, and reused as much copper as they could... I think I'd have removed the elbow, and used a larger radius with a large end closer matching the coil...
    I agree with everyone else, ughly and stupid, but not dangerous.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Vstech makes a good point about the filter. Maybe try seeing if a 16x20x2 will fit in there instead.

you lucky you got a new coil im suprised the did not just keep topping it off.or try and fix the old coil as apartment managers are cheapskates
    We really need change now

myott

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12