Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aprilaire 500 Install Help

I am installing an Aprilaire 500A whole house humidifier on my Carrier Weathermaker 8000 forced air unit. I have everything installed and I'm ready to do all the wiring. The model 60 control that I got is different than all the ones ive seen before. Instead of 10 screw terminals, this one has 11 with an additional Gf terminal. I could hook it up the way the instructions show, but it seems considerably more complicated than it needs to be. My furnace happens to have the HUM and COM points which should make this a breeze - can I use these instead of the goofy instructions they provide? What terminals get connected?

As a side question, on my furnace I noticed a second 18/2 line coming in and connecting to the Y and COM terminals but I dont know where it goes. It is not the thermostat wire and I have no other controls - could this be going outside to the A/C unit?

Name:  2012-12-04_22-30-46_406.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  52.9 KB

You must have missed the statement on the front page that this in NOT a DIY site.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    You must have missed the statement on the front page that this in NOT a DIY site.
    Thanks for the sarcastic reply, very helpful.

Actually I read the TOU and while it said it is not a DIY site, it did state that it IS a site where I can ask the pros about home HVAC. I didnt ask a vague question like why doesnt my furnace work - I asked a specific technical question that I would think would be similar to something in the pros section. The TOU also stated that while you cant give conclusive info all the time, you will give info that is safety conscience and as helpful as possible.

If you dont want to answer my question and you think its so inappropriate, then flag it or ignore it. Im so sick of people who talk big on the internet all the time...musta missed statement...thanks guy.

I wasn't being sarcastic.
    Please explain how buying your own humidifier and installing it yourself isn't DIY.

I think he's going to try to read those "goofy"instructions again.

Gee y and com, sometimes better to let people think you are a fool instead of opening mouth and removing all doubt.
    Now that is sarcastic.

Engineer should have known, worst customers ever they think they no it all, aka, NIA.

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    not that anyone cares since this isnt DIY, but since I found the answer myself maybe you can leave it up to help someone else.

After testing the terminals
    Like the earlier post said.....you have just removed all doubt

It is now extremely obvious you have no clue.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-05-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Removed DIY info from quote
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

It wasn't hard for the pros. We get tons of "Engineers" on this site doing exactly what you were doing. You guys think like most engineers that you are qualified due to your PEng degree. However, you always seem to show up looking for help because you can't quite get it or you want a shortcut.
    I know you have a deep education however you need EXPERIENCE and a FULL education in HVAC/R to be safe, competent, and legal.
    IF you had even looked around this site you may have realized how out of your depth you are in thinking we didn't know the answers to your questions but instead you think your vast knowledge should be left "up" for "others" to try on their own.
    Are you ready to assume liability if "others" are injured or killed from doing it wrong?

That's why the pros aren't anxious to share their knowledge with "unqualified" DIY engineers or "others".

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Engineer should have known, worst customers ever they think they no it all, aka, NIA.
    no it all? NIA? Really? You mean know it all?

I agree engineers are bad customers simply because we DO understand some of whats going on and we are interested in learning the rest. I never claimed to know everything about HVAC, hence my asking what the wire designations were. Are you all bitter im stealing your work or what? I just asked for help.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic.
    Please explain how buying your own humidifier and installing it yourself isn't DIY.
    Bacon
    You haven't explained yet how it's not DIY.

Face it. Your feelings are hurt cuz the rules aren't bent to "help" you out as you are not just an average joe diy'er.

Your Eng degree means nothing here. Find an Engineering forum and trade all the small bits of knowledge that will complete your omniscience with other Engineers. That way you don't have to depend on those of us who are bitter because you didn't call us to install your equipment.
    Quit wasting your valuable time on us not worthy of your Grand Poobah status.

The blower compartment in the picture looked nice and clean and whoever hooked up the low voltage wiring did a nice job. Just sayin.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    no it all? NIA? Really? You mean know it all?

I agree engineers are bad customers simply because we DO understand some of whats going on and we are interested in learning the rest. I never claimed to know everything about HVAC, hence my asking what the wire designations were. Are you all bitter im stealing your work or what? I just asked for help.
    Yes no means NO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast