+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 York Chillers - Tube Counts

Post Likes

2005 York Chillers - Tube Counts

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a couple of 05' vintage 3,000 ton York chillers (mod# YDYFYBJ3-DCA) and according to the literature the tube counts are as follows:

Evaporator: 183 - 0.035" Enhanced Copper Tubes
    Condenser: 262 - 0.035" CSL Enhanced Copper Tubes

I was looking at scrapping them as it can be very difficult to place an end user for chillers of this size especially when I haven't been able to secure documentation of service records. To my way of thinking these tube counts can't be correct. That is what I would normally find in 300 ton chiller. I am also surprised that chillers of this vintage would have 0.035" wall thickness. If anything I would have expected the tubes to have thinner walls than normal.

The operating weight of these things is 162,000 pounds a piece. Does anyone have any insight into this matter? I simply don't see any possible way that these tube counts could be correct.

Thanks for your help,
    Joe

Post Likes
    Those numbers are a designation of tube type. It's not the quantity. I don't know if I have any YD literature. I'll check in the morning.

By the way, you posted this in the wrong forum. Should be in the chiller open forum.

Post Likes
    Thread relocated to the "Chiller" section of the site.

Post Likes
    I haven't dug up any literature on the York YDs. Never saw one out on the West Coast. Anyway, tube wall thickness and material type can be ordered from the factory. Tubes could be ordered as copper or Cu-Ni. Wall thicknesses of .025", .028" or .035". I did look up the most recent YK parts and for the largest YK offered (as of 2010) had 1850 tubes in the evaporator, 2325 tubes in the condenser and 180 tubes in the sub-cooler for a total of 4355 tubes. Those shells are 14' long, so there is 60,970 feet of copper tube. We used to use approximately 1 lb./ft as a rule of thumb so in the largest YK shells you would have close to 60,000 lbs. of copper. Your mileage may vary.

Post Likes
    on the Series A chiller, the YF evaporator has 2,004 tubes and the YB condenser has 2,496 with an additional 180 tubes in the subcooler and i see them as 18 feet long. the YF, with a 183 designation, is 0.035" wall and the YB, with a 262 designation, is also a 0.035" wall.....

with KY definition of 1 lb/ft, there is over 168,000 lbs of copper in 2 chillers! party is at your house!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy
    with KY definition of 1 lb/ft, there is over 168,000 lbs of copper in 2 chillers! party is at your house!
    Yeah, Joe, don't forget to throw us a bone!

Post Likes
    EYE SEA

Post Likes
    WOO HOO!! Party's at Joes house, HEY, how do we get there?
    “If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.” ~Henry J. Kaiser

"Highly efficient equipment and LEED Bldgs are very expensive to maintain in order to keep that efficiency!" ~ Me

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    on the Series A chiller, the YF evaporator has 2,004 tubes and the YB condenser has 2,496 with an additional 180 tubes in the subcooler and i see them as 18 feet long. the YF, with a 183 designation, is 0.035" wall and the YB, with a 262 designation, is also a 0.035" wall.....

Quick question ? How much do theses machines weigh, 84,000lbs each ,wow? That's just copper only.
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    Quick question ? How much do theses machines weigh, 84,000lbs each ,wow? That's just copper only.
    Read the first post of the thread...last paragraph.

Post Likes
    Can anyone tell me the tube count for a York Model # YTC3D3C2-CMD, if you have the manual web address that would be appreciated as well. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Rembert View Post
    Can anyone tell me the tube count for a York Model # YTC3D3C2-CMD, if you have the manual web address that would be appreciated as well. Thanks
    I found a parts list for Style E & F chillers (yours is a "D")and it shows the evaporator tube count as 296 and the condenser tube count as 342. The manual I used is FORM 160.46-RP1. The problem in finding old literature on the JCI website is that it's, well, old. York didn't start digitizing manuals until fairly late in the game (I want to say later than 1997.) They were in a process of digitizing all the older stuff when they were bought by Johnson Controls, so as you can imagine that program came to a complete halt.

You can find literature at this web address.

Post Likes
    Thank you for your help!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in