Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glycol

Post Likes

Glycol

What kind of Glycol do y'all recommend in Carrier chillers? Propylene vs Ethylene

Post Likes
    What's the application? Comfort cooling or processing?

If food related Propylene

Post Likes
    comfort cooling

Post Likes
    We have used Dow Dowfrost for 20 years with no problems.

Post Likes
    You know your going to loose capacity with glycol.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr325 View Post
    What kind of Glycol do y'all recommend in Carrier chillers? Propylene vs Ethylene
    Ethylene has better heat transfer properties. don't buy a branded drum, get a generic, inhibited, glycol and determine the percentage based on system design or outdoor temp, there are places that would mix the glycol by your specs, far cheaper than purchasing from a HVAC parts house.

Post Likes
    We use propylene glycol since we are in a food related business. Check with your local chemical supplier and see what they can supply. May save you some $$$$. I will say one great thing about Dow Frost, is Dow will test your glycol for free. The propylene glycol will break down after time (years) and lead to corrosion in your system.

8. Likes JohnCGriffin liked this post
    Post Likes
    You will no doubt want to verify the Carrier specs./manufacturer recommendations, operating range etc. Check availability, and chose what best fits your application. The 3 best choices will be:

DOWTHERM SR-1 inhibited ethylene glycol-based fluid. With an operating temperature range of -60F to 250F, this is the most widely used fluid for heating and HVAC applications. The specially formulated corrosion inhibitor package is easily maintained, long-lasting and replenishable. Fluid color is pink

DOWFROST HD inhibited propylene glycol-based fluid. This is recommended for use where incidental contact with potable water is possible or where use of a propylene glycol-based fluid is required by state or local regulations. The recommended use temperature range is -50F to 325F. A specially formulated corrosion inhibitor package provides a high level of protection for all common metals used in HVAC systems. Excellent copper corrosion protection makes this the preferred propylene glycol-based fluid for many HVAC applications. Fluid color is yellow.

DOWFROST inhibited propylene glycol-based fluid. This is recommended for use where incidental contact with potable water is possible or where use of a propylene glycol-based fluid is required by state or local regulations. This fluid's recommended use temperature range is -50F to 250F. DOWFROST fluid features a specially formulated industrial corrosion inhibitor package that helps keep pipes free of deposits. Fluid is clear.

Post Likes

11. Likes JohnCGriffin liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Holly cow, you are paying way too much, I buy from a local warehouse and I pay a fraction of what that site advertises.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Holly cow, you are paying way too much, I buy from a local warehouse and I pay a fraction of what that site advertises.

I pay $16.34 per gallon for 95% Inhibited Propylene Glycol to my door from them, in the 55 gallon barrel. Thats pretty dam cheap and I have checked a lot of prices. I know a lot of the premix is cheaper, but you get less percentage of glycol.

I don't buy the 5 gallon pails.

Post Likes
    Can you let me know where I can purchase Propylene Glycol $16.34 per gallon, that's a good deal

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tacxc View Post
    Can you let me know where I can purchase Propylene Glycol $16.34 per gallon, that's a good deal
    http://www.chemworld.com/Inhibited-P...rld-ipg-55.htm

ChemWorld Salt Lake City
    647 W Billinis 3560 South
    Unit 1
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast