Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I don't think any war will start. This is all about oil. I don't mind us being the biggest and baddest military, but we are by far the biggest and baddest military. I think we can back it off some of our spending and still be the biggest and baddest by far. I'm watching Modern Marvels about the military right now. It costs us about $400/gallon for fuel in a war zone, it shows how wasteful our military really is.
    I got an idea, lets make our tanks out of Prius' save on fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    There is waste but being around these guys every day I think they deserve the best training and equipment we can give them. I'm not biased or anything since I work for a sub contractor and my life depends on it......
    I agree, they need the best, they do a very tough job, being bull eye's with legs. However, they are not always the benefactors of our very high defense budget, they needed extra armor on themselves and humvees, but were not given it. However, we can buy all the multi million dollar planes and ships to fight an enemy that uses old artillery shells hooked up to a cellphone to do more damage. An F22 Raptor is useless against that. How does a new aircraft carrier to our already 11 help out against a guy with an RPG? It doesn't, people want to say that our military is the only thing our gov't does right. That's a joke, thats as screwed up as anything else they touch. I'm not bashing the men and women of our military, they are great. It's the idiots that screw their biographers and officials that screw it up.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

I don't think any war will start. This is all about oil. I don't mind us being the biggest and baddest military, but we are by far the biggest and baddest military. I think we can back it off some of our spending and still be the biggest and baddest by far. I'm watching Modern Marvels about the military right now. It costs us about $400/gallon for fuel in a war zone, it shows how wasteful our military really is.
    You are probably right about the pacific rim not going to a hot war... still I would prefer tensions be on someone else's shores and land.

I saw that Modern Marvels show a while back... it caught my attention. I did a little googling, and realized the reason fuel is SOOO expensive in Afgan:
    One, it is difficult to get there... and
    Two, a lot of fuel is either stolen, bartered, or blown up. I read barter with local tribal leaders (picture sitting down with the chief in an old Western movie), barter goods for information about the enemy. US 'scout' types pass out stacks of US$100 bills for intel all the time.

I saw a news picture of a line of tanker trucks on a road, probably 20 or 30, ALL on fire. The black cloud was the worst I have seen since Saddaam blew up Kuwait oil production in 1990. Seems to me if one factors in loosing all that fuel AND the trucks... yeah, $400/gal is not that high.

We need to either fight to win, or get out of these silly brush conflicts. Problem is... if we escalated a war... someone would take the other side... then someone would get on our side, then another on their side... Soon we would be in WW3... and some idiot would send a NUKE missile somewhere... before the dust settled... well... we have all read novels about this.

Better IMO to have brush wars, and have them on SOMEONE ELSE's shores and soil.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    You are probably right about the pacific rim not going to a hot war... still I would prefer tensions be on someone else's shores and land.

I saw that Modern Marvels show a while back... it caught my attention. I did a little googling, and realized the reason fuel is SOOO expensive in Afgan:
    One, it is difficult to get there... and
    Two, a lot of fuel is either stolen, bartered, or blown up. I read barter with local tribal leaders (picture sitting down with the chief in an old Western movie), barter goods for information about the enemy. US 'scout' types pass out stacks of US$100 bills for intel all the time.

I saw a news picture of a line of tanker trucks on a road, probably 20 or 30, ALL on fire. The black cloud was the worst I have seen since Saddaam blew up Kuwait oil production in 1990. Seems to me if one factors in loosing all that fuel AND the trucks... yeah, $400/gal is not that high.

We need to either fight to win, or get out of these silly brush conflicts. Problem is... if we escalated a war... someone would take the other side... then someone would get on our side, then another on their side... Soon we would be in WW3... and some idiot would send a NUKE missile somewhere... before the dust settled... well... we have all read novels about this.

Better IMO to have brush wars, and have them on SOMEONE ELSE's shores and soil.
    We probably saw the same show. Water is another thing that is very expensive. But if we have all these multi million dollar planes and ships and helicopters. Why can't we get the fuel there cheaper? It seems that with all the technology we should be able to level those primitive desert apes throwing rocks at us. And yes, we need to get the hell out of there sooner rather than later. It doesn't matter when we leave whether it is tomorrow or 10 years from tomorrow, they are going back to fighting as soon as we leave. So why waste our resources and young men to fight an unwinnable war. Look at history, they have been around a lot longer than the United States has and look who is further along. I'm not racist, but some cultures and races are inferior to others.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

That is the total cost of the infrastructure needed to deliver that gallon to the battlefield. I used to work for a company that made missiles. Say a missile costs you $10,000, add to that the delivery of that device, a ride on a jet, the cost of training the pilot (divide the pilot and plane cost by the number of missions in their lifespan), the people and equipment supporting them and on and on. In the end the difference between a $10,000 and a $20,000 missile does not seem like much as long as the objective is obtained. Just the way it is, war ain't cheap.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Good time to bring this up, sure you guys will like it.

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Couple of things the news media does not talk about...

One: The largest deposit of copper in the world is in central Afgan... for some reason the Chinese are developing the mine... and we are more or less providing security... not sure what is in this for us?
    Two: There are lots of oil reserves in the countries around Afgan... yet no way to get the oil to the ocean. The Soviet/Afgan war was for the same reason as the US/Afgan war... to figure out a way to get all that oil to the ocean... to sell it.

Countries use their military forces, under false pretenses (like freedom, democracy, fighting terrorists, etc), to help BIG business develop things (resources, manufacturing, markets, etc). When we learn to not trust govts (especially our own, as well as all others), we will be a long way towards getting control of our country back. Now I am not saying to loose our nationalistic view of America... just do not blindly trust whatever BS comes from the govt... rather make them accountable. When (not if) we end up in conflict with other countries... we need to stand as one nation totally on the same side... sends a message to the world... Speaking of messages...

As long as the rest of the world stays away from the USA... I am fine with pulling back the military for a while... OTOH: Next time someone blows up an embassy or kills a foreign ambassador... we need to swoop down like all h*ll broke loose. The world needs to see the US military unleashed in all its POWERFUL glory once every couple of years... reminds them what they will be up against if they screw with us.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123