Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Propress G fittings with L tubing for the gas line. According to navien install manual and rep non-direct combustion air intake is ok.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354497368.307859.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  36.5 KB

I'm not sure about the low pressure gas cutoff I'm just learning gas this last year and I didn't do the hook up. I understand your point though and it makes sense.

As for the fiberglass, I'm not sure. Not my house and I wasn't hired as a basement re-decorater.

Gas man says low pressure cut off built into the regulator.

When you've got a bunch of these out there and start burning through warranty reserve, remember this conversation. It may save a few trips.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Now your worrying me, for the 15 minutes its gonna take to pipe fresh air if its gonna save me the headache.

As for the built in regulator I checked the manufacturer spec and it is built into the valve.

Only one we ever did without direct vent I guess not worth the risk to save 20 dollars.

It's good to pipe in fresh air, If there's a gas leak inside the unit or something all of it goes outdoors through the intake. There are many other good reasons but I have to go.

what did the home owner use to heat water before?

wouldn't a conventional forced air gas furnace and power vent water heater be cheaper?

i never understood hearing some of you guys talking about combi units and hydronic fan coils in condo units and whatnot...

your install looks very nice though

Quote Originally Posted by cody350 View Post
    what did the home owner use to heat water before?

wouldn't a conventional forced air gas furnace and power vent water heater be cheaper?

i never understood hearing some of you guys talking about combi units and hydronic fan coils in condo units and whatnot...

your install looks very nice though
    That unit will be way more efficient with a fan coil because it will allow the boiler to condense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Cheaper yes, more efficient no. Before they had a electric hot water heater.

For example, a 98% efficient boiler only achieves such high performance when it operates at low temperatures typically below 80 deg F (27 deg C).Regardless of the use of programmable thermostats, when a 98% efficient boiler is run at 180 deg F (82 deg C) it still only achieves a nominal 85%.
    Likewise if people are relying on programmable thermostats for savings it’s important to know that a thermostat only tells the boiler that it "could" run but not at what temperature it "should" run at. This is not a trivial matter.
    If you are upgrading to reduce your energy consumption, you have tolook at the entire system – it’s not enough just to replace the equipment.

http://www.healthyheating.com/Progra...hermostats.htm

The btu pulled out of combustion across a heat exchanger is partially a function of entering and leaving temps, and amount of condensation pulled from flue gasses.

Modulating communicating furnaces pay attention to all interacting parts/steps of this process and can optimize (including airflow) based upon requirements of the thermostat. Mod on boilers, not so much. Outdoor reset is about as good as that gets, so if homeowners want recovery the reset can't be TRUELY optimized. Outgoing and return temps for recovery are higher than those required for maintaining, so efficiency is lost to have this reserve.

How will the coil temperatures be managed?

Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Our company has installed hundreds of Naviens. We have absolutely found that single piping them has far less callbacks and warranty issues. We single pipe most of them now.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Good to hear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12