Hybrid View

My Infinity Touch Control Router Settings

My Carrier contracter (and I) recently installed a SYSTXCCITW01 Inifinity Touch Control on my Carrier HVAC. Everything is working well except for the units' ability to "phone home" to the www.api.ing.carrier.com site which would allow remote control. The control can see the (Carrier provided) wireless router TP-Link WR741ND, but it is unable to get outside information (like weather or Myinfinitytouch connectivity.) Our suspicion is that the router has been reset in some way. It appears that Carrier takes a TP-Link router off the shelf and custom configures it for each Infinity Touch Controller. I have double checked all the numbers (e.g. serial number, QSS passcode, model number, MAC address, PIN, etc.) but to no avail. My thought is that there is something amiss with the router. Strangely enough I can surf the web through the router, so at least it can see the web, but for some reason the Control cannot get outside access. (And another strange thing is that if the TP-Link is set up correctly I find it strange that this router is "open to the public", i.e. I did not have to put in any passwords (i.e. WAP2) to get access to the router from my computer.)
    Any suggestions?

Press menu button, then wireless icon (might have to press the down arrow once to get to this icon).

Under wireless icon, press “My Infinity Registration info”. Under this screen is exactly all the info you need to properly register within the Carrier website for this thermostat. Use the info that the stat provides you, not what is printed on the stat’s cardboard box, to register on the Carrier site.

Please REPORT BACK so that others can learn success/failure.

Another recommendation: You don’t “need” to use the Carrier-supplied router. If you already have a router, have the stat search for your own SSID and then enter your own WPA2 password of your own router once the stat finds your router. A lot “cleaner” and less complex this way.

Router is only supplied in the event that the homeowner does not already have a router or doesn’t understand difference between WPA, WPA2, WEP or SSID terminology.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Press menu button, then wireless icon (might have to press the down arrow once to get to this icon).

Under wireless icon, press “My Infinity Registration info”. Under this screen is exactly all the info you need to properly register within the Carrier website for this thermostat. Use the info that the stat provides you, not what is printed on the stat’s cardboard box, to register on the Carrier site.

Please REPORT BACK so that others can learn success/failure.

Another recommendation: You don’t “need” to use the Carrier-supplied router. If you already have a router, have the stat search for your own SSID and then enter your own WPA2 password of your own router once the stat finds your router. A lot “cleaner” and less complex this way.

Router is only supplied in the event that the homeowner does not already have a router or doesn’t understand difference between WPA, WPA2, WEP or SSID terminology.
    Thank you Tedkidd for your reply.
    I double checked the info on the actual Stat and the info on the box (and the info I registered with "MyInfinity" at Carrier) and they all match. Still no luck. I've tried routing through the TP-Link router and I've tried through my own router. In each case I had to put in an SSID password and was successful in connecting to the router, but still no luck in connecting to Carrier's servers.

TK is correct. You need to register on the Myinfinity.carrier.com website. Without registration, you will not be able to remotely access your user interface. After registration, it can take up to 15 mins for connection. I always complete this step for my customer to prevent further troubles as you are having. Please let us know the outcome.

Also, I have found that using the supplied router is a really good idea. Some routers aren't compatible. They intermittently connect to myinfinity server causing all kinds of confusing issues. If you use the supplied router, you don't have to worry about any of that.

I have asked carrier to supply us with a list of compatible routers but have yet to get a response. There may be too many different types to list. If I get that info, I will post it here.
    Last edited by Brent Ridley; 12-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Sounds like you are a pretty sophisticated computer user, but jic:

Are you on this screen?:https://www.myinfinitytouch.carrier....count/Register

Last question: Is your stats MAC address when you enter it returning an error on Carrier’s registration page, or does the website accept the MAC address of your stat? If it fails accepting your stat’s MAC address, report back here.

If you’ve checked everything and it still does not work, it could be on Carrier’s side. I’d call their customer service line, per website: Monday-Friday between 8am-5pm Eastern, 1-800-227-7437 or 1-800-CARRIER and talk with them about your issue.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Yes I've been to Carrier's registration web page and the system accepted the MAC address just fine.
    It seems I've checked (and double checked) everything. Looks like I'll be calling their customer service dept. tomorrow.
    Thanks for your help.

Update: It seems either I or my contractor put in a bad zip code in the Weather section of the Control. It seems that the missing digit somehow prevented the controller from "calling home" successfully. Once I put the right digits in the weather/zip code section the wifi aspect of the controller worked well.

Next question... How long should it take for the Control to reflect new settings (i.e adjust the desired temp.) after I make a change on the website/iPhone app?
    1 second? 1 minute? 10 minutes? Right now it seems to be taking a long time (around 10 min.)

I have other customer who have asked the same question.

I have contacted my Carrier FSR and he explained that it is not instantaneous. He said using the IPhone App it can take as long as 10 minutes for your thermostat to register the changes. He also said if you make the changes via computer (website) it would respond faster.

Good to know.
    Thank you Brent for the quick and informative reply!