Thread: New to HVAC

I am in maryland currently but when I finish tech school will be moving to Florida
    Post Likes

New to HVAC

Hello all I am new to the hvac trade and am currently enroled in a tec school(North American Tradeschool). I have been learning a lot but am amazed at how much there is to this trade. It seems that threre is almost no way to be complacent here. At this point all I have grasped is the basic referigerant cycle, thermodynamics(I think I spelled it correct ), and basic sheetmetal layout and design. The next thing to learn is basic electricty so I am stoked! I hope to meet some people on this site that I could just feed off of their knowledge.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    welcome aboard, this trade will keep you humble.

most on here don't have a problem with guiding youngsters in the right direction.

a few on here even know what they are talking about
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I am in maryland currently but when I finish tech school will be moving to Florida
    Post Likes
    Thanks I have been lookin arround the site and it looks like I need to get my posts up so when I graduate I can check in here if/when I get stuck.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    you might as well get that post count up; students can get pro status to go behind the closed door.

Post Likes
    Thanks ill start working on it thanks for the info on that I thought you had to be in the field to get it

Post Likes
    if this industry depended on schools to prepare individuals for this trade; we're screwed.

schools are for fundamentals, basis, got to have those for solid foundation.

experience is the best teacher; but, few employers are willing to go the long road for a productive employee- those days are long gone.

Post Likes
    I have noticed that most all of hvac employers want someone that already has basic understanding and doesn't want any joe schmoe off of the street. I hope that when I graduate I won't have to hard of a time finding a job. I have been slowly bulding up my tools so I can get started asap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryA View Post
    Hello all I am new to the hvac trade and am currently enroled in a tec school(North American Tradeschool). I have been learning a lot but am amazed at how much there is to this trade. It seems that threre is almost no way to be complacent here. At this point all I have grasped is the basic refrigerant cycle, thermodynamics(I think I spelled it correct ), and basic sheetmetal layout and design. The next thing to learn is basic electricity so I am stoked! I hope to meet some people on this site that I could just feed off of their knowledge.
    There is a lot to learn, I have been in trade school since February got most of the fundamentals down, now its finally getting interesting mostly shop tearing into units once you have experience it starts to make sense, you look and think back and things click in your head or they do for me anyways, but like others said you'll learn way more out in the field than from a book dont get discouraged it just takes practice

Post Likes
    Ya so far its been great I'm 3 months into a 10 month program. They are very fast paced tring to fit 2 years of shool into 10 months but that's good it weeds out the guys who don't really want to learn.

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site. As dandyme said, most of your learning will be in the field. The schools only get into the basics. There is so much to this field that you will always be learning.
    Good luck on your exams

Post Likes
    I keep asking the same sort of questions. Really how much will I have the opportunity to learn? I want to be able to do complete system design, installation, troubleshooting and repair. I want to sale the system and make sure it is put in right and the only way I can do that is to learn how to do the work the right way. I know I can't always be the one doing the installation, but I will be the one inspectiong the work and putting my stamp on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in