Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 60

Thread: I hate this

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    let me just ask?

    When a waiter/waitress is a VICTIM of "dine-n-dash" why is it not reported as larceny?

    after all it IS STEALING? is the police ever called? a description of the criminals ever given or don't the police really give-a-crap??
    The law may vary from state-to-state, But in the great state of Texas that is going to be what we call "theft of services" and yes the police will come get you and you will go to jail for it. Other states may have a different eye on such behavior.

    I doubt any state in the union will allow for an employee to be responsible for a customer not paying. I am with Astudent on this one, I just feel sorry for the girl. I really do not doubt that some jerk employer would put that policy in place, legal or not.

    Side note to Astudent: Following your recent personal calamity with the burglary, I think it is very big of you to concern yourself with the trials and tribulations of other folks. Highest regards to you.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    let me just ask?

    When a waiter/waitress is a VICTIM of "dine-n-dash" why is it not reported as larceny?

    after all it IS STEALING? is the police ever called? a description of the criminals ever given or don't the police really give-a-crap??
    In Florida it's called defrauding an innkeeper, and if the tab is over $300 it's felony grand theft.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I doubt any state in the union will allow for an employee to be responsible for a customer not paying. I really do not doubt that some jerk employer would put that policy in place, legal or not.
    I do not believe an employer can hold an employee liable for the theft of his product, whether there is an “agreement” or not. If she was my daughter I would be pressing the issue with the employer…all the way to a courtroom if need be. It’s like holding a security guard liable for any theft on his shift…ridiculous.

    Dine-and-dash is the restaurant’s problem, not the employee’s. Any judge would uphold that. Too bad it’s human nature to take advantage of the naïve.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I do not believe an employer can hold an employee liable for the theft of his product, whether there is an “agreement” or not. If she was my daughter I would be pressing the issue with the employer…all the way to a courtroom if need be. It’s like holding a security guard liable for any theft on his shift…ridiculous.

    Dine-and-dash is the restaurant’s problem, not the employee’s. Any judge would uphold that. Too bad it’s human nature to take advantage of the naïve.
    I think it is pretty clear the employee is being screwed here Brian, And in this case i would be willing to close that f'n restaurant doors forever. You just cannot treat people like animals.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,594
    Waitress was taken advantage of. I would have made a scene but that is just me.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,909
    Have not seen this since I was young... a waitperson was paid for a tab in cash... then claimed the folks eat and walked. Rare, but it does happen. What I do still see once in a while... is a wait-person providing an extra drink or dessert and not putting it on the check... then the folks at the table give a larger tip.

    Since the young lady was in tears... I doubt she was doing it... At least I hope she was not cold enough to fake tears to get a handout... probably not.

    I do agree it is not legal for the owner to hold the wait-staff liable, and I do agree 'dine and dash' is a crime that needs to be punished. Does the restaurant have video surveillance? They should. Get the tapes and find the table... then file a police report.

    It is also a shame business-folks take (or try to take) the easy road... just pass the issue down the ladder to folks who can be taken advantage of. Providing an environment where business can operate without endless crippling regulations is good for everyone... yet there will always be a few rotten apples that will take advantage of it. What we need to get back to in this country is SWIFT and COMPLETE dealings with rotten apples (both folks who would dine and dash... as well as waitstaff that would short a ticket, as well as a boss that would take advantage of their waitstaff). It only takes one bad apple to ruin the barrel... need to sort them out quickly and get them out of contact with others... As in identify a criminal, determine guilt in a court of law, and punish them QUICKLY!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,312
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    It is also a shame business-folks take (or try to take) the easy road... just pass the issue down the ladder to folks who can be taken advantage of. Providing an environment where business can operate without endless crippling regulations is good for everyone... yet there will always be a few rotten apples that will take advantage of it. What we need to get back to in this country is SWIFT and COMPLETE dealings with rotten apples (both folks who would dine and dash... as well as waitstaff that would short a ticket, as well as a boss that would take advantage of their waitstaff). It only takes one bad apple to ruin the barrel... need to sort them out quickly and get them out of contact with others... As in identify a criminal, determine guilt in a court of law, and punish them QUICKLY!
    How would you deal with the growing Black trend not to tip at all? Then they get around +6 tables by dividing up the bill. Seems the management could nip it in the bud by disclosing up front that the tip will be included whether they divide the bill or not. But seems since only the waitress gets screwed the restaurant won’t intervene on her behalf.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post

    How would you deal with the growing Black trend not to tip at all? Then they get around +6 tables by dividing up the bill. Seems the management could nip it in the bud by disclosing up front that the tip will be included whether they divide the bill or not. But seems since only the waitress gets screwed the restaurant won’t intervene on her behalf.
    If I ran the business and a large group came in...I would assign more than one server to the table....they might all get shafted but at least one person isn't working themselves to death for nothing.

    It's not just one race doing this, I've seen it happen across all fronts.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,142
    Management is afraid of backlash from claims of racism and boycotts. They don't want to be bothered with confrontation either. They treat the waitstaff like sub-humans. This is thuggery and extortion. This is only the beginning.

    I forgot to give big kudos to the OP. Nice move AStudent!

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    How would you deal with the growing Black trend not to tip at all? Then they get around +6 tables by dividing up the bill. Seems the management could nip it in the bud by disclosing up front that the tip will be included whether they divide the bill or not. But seems since only the waitress gets screwed the restaurant won’t intervene on her behalf.
    Double edged sword here...

    My experience is: Restaurants that add the tip to ALL checks... customer service is lousy.
    Restaurants that maintain HIGH standards usually have lots of patrons and most of them behave.
    IMO a good manager would be on the floor talking to customers every shift... and have his eye on situations noted.
    The element of 'getting away with it' is what drives folks to do these things... it is not a black or hispanic or whatever race... it is human nature. Most of us are more mature than to play these childish games.
    KNOWING someone is watching and someone is aware of your game... usually causes caution for the game-player. They are not interested in getting caught...

    IMO if a restaurant has repeated issues of check-walkers and non-tippers, how about a uniformed local cop on the premises during peak hours... May be just enough 'presence' to cool an attitude.
    What probably would happen is; group planned an 'action'... went to the restaurant, saw the cop... either they leave w/out eating... or they cool it and pay/tip. They KNOW The cop can give them a REAL hassle and it will stick... so they go somewhere else to cause trouble.

    OH for the days of gun freedom... If the restaurant manager could just push aside his jacket and show a 1911... the perps would think twice...

    Given our goofy politics these days... one has to PAY for protection (cops)... kinda like a govt sanctioned racket there... whoops...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,312
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    It's not just one race doing this, I've seen it happen across all fronts.
    Of course all races do it at one time or another but it is without a doubt much more predominant among Blacks.

    We have two restaurant chains out here that Blacks heavily frequent, Claim Jumper and Black Angus Steak House. I’ve known waitresses that quit Claim Jumper because of this problem…and they say it is the Blacks.

    Just because other races do it doesn’t mean it is an evenly divided problem.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,312
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Double edged sword here...

    My experience is: Restaurants that add the tip to ALL checks... customer service is lousy.
    Restaurants that maintain HIGH standards usually have lots of patrons and most of them behave.
    IMO a good manager would be on the floor talking to customers every shift... and have his eye on situations noted.
    The element of 'getting away with it' is what drives folks to do these things... it is not a black or hispanic or whatever race... it is human nature. Most of us are more mature than to play these childish games.
    KNOWING someone is watching and someone is aware of your game... usually causes caution for the game-player. They are not interested in getting caught...

    IMO if a restaurant has repeated issues of check-walkers and non-tippers, how about a uniformed local cop on the premises during peak hours... May be just enough 'presence' to cool an attitude.
    What probably would happen is; group planned an 'action'... went to the restaurant, saw the cop... either they leave w/out eating... or they cool it and pay/tip. They KNOW The cop can give them a REAL hassle and it will stick... so they go somewhere else to cause trouble.

    OH for the days of gun freedom... If the restaurant manager could just push aside his jacket and show a 1911... the perps would think twice...

    Given our goofy politics these days... one has to PAY for protection (cops)... kinda like a govt sanctioned racket there... whoops...
    Not paying the bill and not paying the tip are two very different offenses. One is done by sneaky young punks and the other is done by in-your-face sleazebags. IMO not paying a tip on a +6 table is a bigger offense because you are stealing from a young kid not a big restaurant that can just factor it in to their losses like any business does.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Of course all races do it at one time or another but it is without a doubt much more predominant among Blacks.

    We have two restaurant chains out here that Blacks heavily frequent, Claim Jumper and Black Angus Steak House. I’ve known waitresses that quit Claim Jumper because of this problem…and they say it is the Blacks.

    Just because other races do it doesn’t mean it is an evenly divided problem.
    Back in the 70's my wife was the "queen of the Waffle House". She got sick and tired of not getting tips from Blacks. A few would but most wouldn't so she would make a quick assessment of their dress, demeanor and attitude and if she judged that they wouldn't tip she would add extra to the bill. She said most would never add it up even if they could.

    She wouldn't get a tip or the extra money since that would go into the cash register but at least she felt like she was getting even and making them pay like everyone else. I thought it was funny as hell and couldn't argue with that. LOL. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event