Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I hate this

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Excuse my ignorance on tipping. (and slightly off subject)
    If a tip is standard, then is shown on the bill (if not how does a company reconcile its accounts)
    Who do you tip? When do you tip?
    When a normal tip is given, does go to the person or the house (all the workers).
    How much is standard.
    As it always been this way, or has happened because everybody knows staff are really badly paid.
    (just in case i am in the USA, is it the same in Canada)

It is just wrong that an employee is responsible for a runner, an owner takes the profit, so should also take the loss.

Good on you AS for helping.
    Tipping can be a tricky thing. It mainly relies on the generosity of the patron. Whether the wait staff is excellent or terrible, YOU decide how much to tip.

Now, the base tip is generally 10% of the total bill, unless your party is over eight people, than the restaurant will (generally)automatically add an 18% gratuity.

What I do is start my tipping when I walk in the door. If the staff does and excellent job the waiter will get 30% to 40%, they do a terrible job they will get $5 regardless of the total tab. I have four favorite restaurants that I go to on a regular basis. Two of them get tipped extremely well (generally 40% or over) because when I walk in the door, my favorite waitress (If she sees me coming) will order my drink without me asking and bring it to me while I wait for a table. Which usually isn't long, even if there is a line.

Tipping big has it's advantages
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    If I were a proud black man I would take offence to some of the posts.
    Why would being a proud black man make you unaware of this trend? Why would it quiet you if it caused harm to the perception your race?

A proud man of any color should not stick up for the dregs of his race. Those types of people shouldn’t have anyone to hide behind.

I would make you a wager that if I went next door to ask my neighbor who is an educated, professional, respectful black lady if she knew about this trend I guarantee she would.

On a side note: I watched a politically incorrect documentary on ABS, Angry Black Syndrome, the angry disposition of black women. They went into the inner city and interviewed black men on the street. They overwhelmingly knew exactly what they were referring to. They even knew the cause of it. So don’t think for a minute that races are as ignorant as they may appear.

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Thank's to the OP - that was very good of you. Generosity and kindness like that are returned tenfold.

I think we stray too much on the race angle - cheapness knows no aversion to color or social standing that I have experienced. If I were a proud black man I would take offence to some of the posts. Points can be made without stereotyping.

The restaurant needs more staffing and management to handle the business they are seeing. Walk-offs are a great indication that you aren't doing a good job managing the business, not that you have a lax waitress. I also would be surprised if they could make such a policy stick. If someone held up a bank teller, would they than be responsible to reimburse the bank for the loss?
    You missed the point--the blacks are paying their bills. They are openly stating that as a matter of personal policy regardless of how great the service was, they refuse to tip one penny to their waitress. This is just evil. When you try to minimize this or claim it is being racial on my part of that of anyone else who has commented here only goes to show why this is becoming epidemic in this country. Whether by condemning those who have the audacity to cry foul or those who sit in stony silience and take this abuse, you are wrong to chastise us instead of those who are doing this, not as a coincidence of race but as a matter of racial policy that is THEIR CHOICE. It is THEY who have chosen to attack the rest of society with such tactics. I'm not sure if this is their version of payback for all the years of victimhood as they have been coached by radical blacks such as Al not so Sharp-ton and Jesse Jerkson, who are terrorist living off the fears of blacks who otherwise might have been living peacefully and content with what God provided them but now they want it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Tipping can be a tricky thing. It mainly relies on the generosity of the patron. Whether the wait staff is excellent or terrible, YOU decide how much to tip.

Now, the base tip is generally 10% of the total bill, unless your party is over eight people, than the restaurant will (generally)automatically add an 18% gratuity.

What I do is start my tipping when I walk in the door. If the staff does and excellent job the waiter will get 30% to 40%, they do a terrible job they will get $5 regardless of the total tab. I have four favorite restaurants that I go to on a regular basis. Two of them get tipped extremely well (generally 40% or over) because when I walk in the door, my favorite waitress (If she sees me coming) will order my drink without me asking and bring it to me while I wait for a table. Which usually isn't long, even if there is a line.

Tipping big has it's advantages
    In the past I would round up to the next note, but nowadays all seem to go on the plastic (not so much actual cash floating around), so is paid as per the bill.

Is your tip is cash or on a card. (should I always carry some tipping cash).

I think here that any tip is split between all staff, front and rear of house.

Tradies normally get a box of beer for a job well done and great service.

In the past I would round up to the next note, but nowadays all seem to go on the plastic (not so much actual cash floating around), so is paid as per the bill.

Depends on the restaurant here...some spread the tips out, but most places the server keeps all of the tips he or she makes, mostly because servers have a much lower minimum wage than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Depends on the restaurant here...some spread the tips out, but most places the server keeps all of the tips he or she makes, mostly because servers have a much lower minimum wage than everyone else.
    what AS said, I generally use my Credit card and leave the tip there. If it was a problem Im sure one of "my girls" would let me know. BTW, my favorite waitress is about 300 pounds, but quite possibly one of the nicest people I know. Looks plays ZERO role in how much I tip.

The Law in the U.S. states that because a wait staff receives tips (generally cash) as part of there income, their hourly rate can be lower than the standard set by law for that particular state. Each state has a different minimum wage, but I believe the Federal standard is $7.25/hour
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

BTW: Something we might want to remember:

Restaurants are required to keep a record of the ticket totals each waitperson runs... then 20% of that total is assumed to be the tips that waitperson collected... and yes, they are required to report this as income and pay tax on it.

So if I were to tip someone less than 20%, or not at all... they are still paying tax on the amount I did not give them.

I wonder if those 'tip runners' realize the wait-staff they are stiffing are being taxed on the money they are stiffing them for...
    Bet they would not do it if they knew a Black girl waiting on them had to pay the tax...
    (That is as far as GA is going into black/white/hispanic... etc).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

To Insure Promptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    BTW: Something we might want to remember:

Restaurants are required to keep a record of the ticket totals each waitperson runs... then 20% of that total is assumed to be the tips that waitperson collected... and yes, they are required to report this as income and pay tax on it.

So if I were to tip someone less than 20%, or not at all... they are still paying tax on the amount I did not give them.

I wonder if those 'tip runners' realize the wait-staff they are stiffing are being taxed on the money they are stiffing them for...
    Bet they would not do it if they knew a Black girl waiting on them had to pay the tax...
    (That is as far as GA is going into black/white/hispanic... etc).
    Many years ago when the IRS started taxing waitress’ tips they taxed them as though they received 7%, half of the standard 15%. The waitress could then claim she gives half of that to busboys, cooks and hostesses. Taxes are probably not an issue.

every race has skipped a bill this is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    It's not that simple. Besides, the race issue was about tipping, not skipping a bill.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post

Go back and re-read my posts: I did Not say skip the bill---they state they don't believe in tipping regardless of quality and quantity of service. This is a policy STATED by these blacks on MANY occasions. Yes, it is ridiculous that they steal labor from waitstaff and have this selfish attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Looks plays ZERO role in how much I tip.
    Yeah? I bet by the end of the night you end up tiping the blond busty bar maid more then a 400 lb moma. If I ever get your way....and I come close....we will have to test my theory.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast