Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trane Questions

Oh my gosh, thank you Ryan.

True the difference in SEER is fairly minor, but the difference in cost is not. The XV95 is cheaper and has a higher overall efficiency, which is surprising.

How would communication improve the system? Wouldn't it give incremental adjustment rather than multispeed? Would it add detailed logging capability for furnace use whereas with the XV95 it wouldn't?

Anyone?

Also my son used to have a 66k btu furnace, but that seems like overkill for a 2,500 sqft home, even one built in the '70's. This contractor isn't doing load calculations so I'd like a sanity check. Is 60k btu possibly enough for Seattle? Winters are usually 30's-40's and occasionally below freezing. I'd think you guys would know from experience alone.

Trane's website rates furnaces in tons, which seems confusing. I thought they'd be rated in btu's? And for some reason their XC95m 4 ton has a 100 in the middle, as in 100k btu? (8.33 tons) Or is this another example of random model numbers?

Trane furnaces are rated in heating BTUs and blower capacity.

60,000 for a mild weather area like yours is plenty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Here's why I ask. On the XC95M Product Specifications it only rates them by tons. But that middle number looks suspiciously like BTUs. And a 100k BTU furnace is rated as 4 tons, which doesn't make sense.

Oh never mind. I guess I have too many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumstate View Post
    Here's why I ask. On the XC95M Product Specifications it only rates them by tons. But that middle number looks suspiciously like BTUs. And a 100k BTU furnace is rated as 4 tons, which doesn't make sense.

Oh never mind. I guess I have too many questions.
    The 4 ton rating is the blower capacity. The 060, 080, etc. as you figured is the heating (input) capacity in kbtu/hour.

For heavens' sake, what a senseless parameter to make their only sizing measure. So that will handle a 4 ton A/C unit, OK.

I'm still torn by the XV95 being slightly more efficient and alot cheaper. If the XC95m is the only furnace that allows logging or has some other big advantage, then OK the extra money. Otherwise it seems the XV95 is better.

normally i would recommend the xc95 with the 20i as it is a moudulating fully comunicating furnace .now my question is you are going dual fuel in a very mild area your furnace will hardly ever run i would ask the contractor about the xc80
    We really need change now

Quan,

Check out this thread to help you understand the benefits of the Trane Comfortlink II communicating system.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....mmunicating-do

True catmanacman, but there is no opportunity to flue an 80% here. I guess it's basically between the XC95m and XV95, depending on the difference in cost.

Thanks Brent. Given that with a dual-fuel system, the heat pump may run 90% of the time In Winter, if the furnace is not communicating I'm not really seeing much drawback if the furnace cost is considerably less.

I am no longer allowed to edit the above post so I'll make another one.

Is it possible to program into the XL950, the costs of gas and electricity in therms as with the Carrier, so it will use those in determining the balance point?

Nothing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12