+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Journeymans license

Post Likes

Journeymans license

Hello, I'm looking for some solid advice on the best way for me to move forward I. The trade. I know getting a Journeymans License is good to get but what's the difficulties? And should I go for NATE as well? My Info is I'm currently 20 years old. I graduated highschool in may 2010. During 11 & 12th grade I took the HVAC/R 2 year program and passed with A's of course. Before I took the class I started working for a small HVAC/R/ Resturant equip repair company at age 15 in 2007 every summer. I'm still working for the same company. So technically I Diddnt start full time until may 2010 but worked every summer since 07. Currently I'm in the middle of HVAC III at a technical school in my city. Since I took the Hvac program in highschool the tech school jumped me to their Hvac II and I went from there. After HVAC III I can take the mechanical code class and maybe and airflow class. But to get to the point do I qualify yet? I've got over 300 hours of schooling and so many hours of fieldwork. What should I do? Right now I'm lucky enough to drive a truck home, I work on Hvac Equiptment commercial and resid. Nothing over 15 tons. Refrigeration and ice makers often. Exaust systems, anything in a restuarant. Yes I have a lot to learn, and yes I want to move up the ladder. Any suggestions? I'm not spell checking this long message I just typed on my phone. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Oh and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place

Post Likes
    I'm sort of interested as well. I know there's already an extensive resources on the NATE certification -- when you get on a real computer you might want to spend some time reading it. I think the NATE certification is worth it, and am personally working towards doing it.

As for the Journeyman's License, I'm not sure the value of it. I've been working in HVAC for nearly 15 years, and never got around to getting it. Granted, I've worked for the same company and am a partial-owner of it nowadays so it might have had more value to me if I was looking for a job. I'm interested if there's benefits I am unaware of.

Post Likes
    I know at they very least, if two people are applying for the same position with the same qualifications but one has their journeymans license, that person has a better chance in getting the job

Post Likes
    I just re-checked the requirements for a Journeyman license here in CA and it confirmed what I was already fairly sure of. It is unlikely that 300 hours of schooling and a few hours of field work is enough. Apprenticeship often can be anywhere from a year to five years. I never went to school for HVAC, I wasn't considered a Journeyman in my company until I had approximately 2,000 hours as an apprentice installer and 1,000 hours as a lead installer. That's approximately 1.5 years.

So yeah as far as hurdles go, I guess that's a pretty big one. You also need an employer to sign something (preferrably the guy with the contractors license) that confirms your experience.

Post Likes
    Your making it seem like I'm nowhere close, I'm in Virginia so it's a little different. I was told 4 years field time and minimum 250 hours schooling. Or 5 years field time, 175 hours schooling ect ect.

Post Likes
    Here are the requirements for VA

Name:  VA-Dpor.PNG
Views: 692
Size:  72.4 KB

Link to their site : http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Boards/Tradesmen/

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in