Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Wooooooo, hit a nerve have we, i am sure you not suppose to insults me "you should know better!". But I will let you.

Tis good that you love your mum, and that you have given her protection, I did not say it was not.

We do have burglars, and lot ans lots of guns, not many elephants.

Where did i even mention my Island paradise (thanks for calling that, i would not). I may have my head up my Anus, only because it smells somewhat better, than some of the BS spouted on here.

However, i do take it out, and smell the roses, that are around this great world, maybe you should do the same, and look beyond your back yard for yourself.

Take some cranberry juice, i believe it helps, during this time of the month!
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcb View Post
    I've owned a SS Security Six for about 30 years. 6" barrel in .357 mag, gunsmith tuned trigger, it's fun to shoot.

A few weeks ago I let my 15 year old niece shoot it and she had a ball. As evening approached the muzzle and cylinder flash was quite impressive.
    That is what I have, it is stamped on the side, 357magnum. But they told me at the gunstore it would shoot .38 special rounds which will have less recoil for mom.

I am not at all familiar with these calibers, Is this not correct what I was told.....?

Assuming it is correct, I am now wondering what the real difference is between a 38 and a 357mag. I think I need to get some 357mag rounds too and try them out also. I will say at a side by side comparison, the .38 looks to be about half the powder content of a .45LC .

If anyone can tell me, hoe would you compare the three rounds: .45LC, .38special, .357mag. And is there a .357 non magnum round? A quick internet search did not find any such animal.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I know NZ is a former british colony now. But is it still part of the UK or england or an independent state?
    NZ, is part of the British Commonwealth, same as Canada. The UK has no direct influence on NZ Politics. I believe (i could be wrong) that the final law court is the Privy Counsel in the UK. (it was). In reality most is to do with historical pageantry. Knights, Dames and so on.

I am an Englishmen (Born) and a Kiwi. (choice). I had the choice of just about any country in the world to immigrate to. (my wife also does not like snakes, hence NZ is a good choice)

Not that I think the UK is bad, only that i thought that other places were better. "good, better, best"

A .357 magnum will shoot .38 Special ammo just fine, with less recoil and muzzle blast. I can't help you with the comparison on a .45LC, never shot one.

Thanks barbar for sharing that. It was not my intention to be poking my nose into your personal business. I was just curious about the political relations.

But thanks for the reply, and may God bless you and your family.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Thanks for the verification Z.

Thanks barbar for sharing that. It was not my intention to be poking my nose into your personal business. I was just curious about the political relations.

But thanks for the reply, and may God bless you and your family.
    All good and thanks. You can ask what ever questions you want, we all need to keep learning. (many of my questions about the USA, get answered here)

Maybe you could look at cryo treating you mums gun, higher exit muzzle velocity (not so important), but the action becomes easier and smoother, and the workings foul less. Does not have to be cleaned as often. (not done pistols, but plenty of riffles)

I'm something of a gun geek.

My 'pet' handload for .38 Special is a 158 grain lead semi-wad cutter over 4.7 grains of powder. It'll shoot to point of aim out to 25-30 yards well enough to brain a bunny yet the recoil is mild enough for children to shoot it. I've put literally thousands of these through my various .357s.

The .357 Magnum is truly a magnum cartridge. It runs a MUCH higher chamber pressure. The guns shoot the same diameter bullet (.358") The cartridge cases are .125" longer to prevent accidentally chambering a high pressure .357 Magnum round in a .38 ONLY pistol. This could easily be disastrous to the shooter. Depending on the gun, the .357 Magnum can be a handful. I've got one with a 5 shot cylinder and a 2 1/8" barrel. It is not the most pleasant handgun that I've got to shoot. In a larger gun like a 6" 6 shot, it would certainly be more manageable, but it wouldn't be what I'd consider a "ladies" gun.

The .45 Colt (also erroneously called the .45 Long Colt) is an old black powder round. Similar to the .38 special, it is an easy to shoot round. My 'pet' load is a 255 grain lead semi wadcutter over 8 grains of the same powder. This is also a very friendly caliber to shoot. Recoil is very mild and muzzle blast is mild.

Did I clarify or confuse?

Yes, very helpful. I bought a big box of .38, says 158 grain on the box. There is a gunshop on my way home, I am thinking I will wander back tomorrow and pick up some of those .357s on the way. Mom will find her ammo pack including several spent rounds.

We americans slather everything with WD-40 oil, more or less the same effect.

Yes, very helpful. I bought a big box of .38, says 158 grain on the box. There is a gunshop on my way home, I am thinking I will wander back tomorrow and pick up some of those .357s on the way. Mom will find her ammo pack including several spent rounds.
    A well placed .38 will do a lot of damage.

You originally stated that this is intended as a 4 legged defense gun with a 2 legged defense side job. I'd stick with the 158s. Either a high quality LSWC as I described earlier or a heavier jacketed bullet. Leave the hollow-points and fancy-pants tips to the high velocity cartridges and stick with a bullet that will penetrate deep and straight.

We americans slather everything with WD-40 oil, more or less the same effect.
    cryo treatment as barbar was referring to, involved lowering the metal temperature to -300F give or take. Not an uncommon treatment for precision rifle barrels. Not so sure what the cost/benefit would be on a handgun.

Thanks JP for your all of you helpful great advices. The 357s are just for my temporary amusement, mom will get a half empty box of .38s and some leftover 357mag rounds with her new gun. Some rat-shot rounds if they have them.

Santa likes to shoot too.

i guess I am just a bad son. I had already premeditated to use up half her ammo of .38 And only leave her a only couple of rounds of the good stuff, .357 mags.

I am so sorry for being such an Aho. I am going to buy her an additional two boxes of .38s. Unpilfered boxes. Thank you for the much deserved correction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast