Bought mom the PERFECT Christmas present!!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bought mom the PERFECT Christmas present!!!!!

I am excited, I like this thing so much I almost want to keep it for my self and go get her something else. I wont, but that thought has crossed my mind.

Ruger. .38. 6 inch barrel. Adjustable rear sights. Swing out cylinder like a smith/wesson, also rotates cylinder counter-clockwise like a S/W. Double-action, but the single action draw is pretty tight-- not what we would call a 'hair trigger' but it will do.

I figure my mom can handle any wild hog or cougar with this, me and my brother are more worried about a home invasion situation and there have been a few in this rural area. Come the 25th, our mom will be packing some serious heat. And she can use it, she was pounding targets with my .45 but the recoil was a little bothersome for her.

Buying a loved one one a defensive gun for Christmas is one of the best things you can ever do for them. You cannot always be there to protect them, but you can sure help them protect themselves. A caring family member will buy a an unarmed loved one a gun.
    Last edited by Tool-Slinger; 11-30-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: editing
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I am excited, I like this thing so much I almost want to keep it for my self and go get her something else. I wont, but that thought has crossed my mind.

Ruger. .38. 6 inch barrel. Adjustable rear sights. Swing out cylinder like a smith/wesson, also rotates cylinder counter-clockwise like a S/W. Double-action, but the single action draw is pretty tight-- not what we would call a 'hair trigger' but it will do.

I figure my mom can handle any wild hog or cougar with this, me and my brother are more worried about a home invasion situation and there have been a few in this rural area. Come the 25th, our mom will be packing some serious heat. And she can use it, she was pounding targets with my .45 but the recoil was a little bothersome for her.

Buying a loved one one a defensive gun for Christmas is one of the best things you can ever do for them. You cannot always be there to protect them, but you can sure help them protect themselves. A caring family member will buy a an unarmed loved one a gun.
    Do you have a model name or number? Been looking for a defensive weapon, .45 might be overkill for home defense but .38 seems appropriate. And for killing the occasional coyote. Would be a first-time gun owner (from Canada lol)

Gib's Son is offline ARP Committee/Professional Member*
    Nice. I just bought the wife a 9 mil Sig Sauer (11+1) to go along with her CCW permit. Now I have to buy a die set for my Dillon.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by Phrancis View Post
    Do you have a model name or number? Been looking for a defensive weapon, .45 might be overkill for home defense but .38 seems appropriate. And for killing the occasional coyote. Would be a first-time gun owner (from Canada lol)
    It say's on it "security six". Ruger website sux or I would give you a direct link. But you can go with a .45 anyway, a man's hand can handle the recoil easily. Not really that bad. Plus you can get a .45 colt lever action rifle with the same ammo from marlin or rossi it looks like in the under $500 dollar range. I am thinking multiple coyote carcasses.

I am reading forums and such, the popular opinions seem to be .38 or shotguns for home defense. I also have a taurus JUDGE too I keep in my truck tool-box, loaded with .000 which is basically 5# .41 slugs per shot. Interesting gun[pistol], you can load out any .410 shot gun shell or a .45 Long colt.

I am thinking Santa Clause needs to bring Phrancis a Ruger blackhawk or super blackhawk .45 for Christmas. If he has been a good boy of course. Nothing wrong with a .38, but the .45 bullets looks twice as large and I want those.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Nice. I just bought the wife a 9 mil Sig Sauer (11+1) to go along with her CCW permit. Now I have to buy a die set for my Dillon.
    Jesus, you ARE SPOILING YOUR WIFE. You could have bought her a cutlass. You are making the rest of us look bad. We got flowers. Candles. Gift certificates. Women stuff. Basically gift certificates, that is all we really know how to get it right.

Just kidding, great work.

Gib's Son is offline ARP Committee/Professional Member*
    Jesus, you ARE SPOILING YOUR WIFE. You could have bought her a cutlass. You are making the rest of us look bad. We got flowers. Candles. Gift certificates. Women stuff. Basically gift certificates, that is all we really know how to get it right.

Just kidding, great work.
    I try and gift smart......it's something I can use too! And it looks real cute next to my 45 Sig. LOL
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I try and gift smart......it's something I can use too! And it looks real cute next to my 45 Sig. LOL
    9mm+.45APC..... You guys are quite a pair. Sounds like a home burglar's worst nightmare.

I prefer revolvers for "less than avid" shooters and those who are not very good at or active at keeping the gun clean[like me]. Plus, you can drop them in mud, pick them up and they still fire if needed, more suitable to a rural situation IMHO. My mom is almost 68, and she walks or goes 4-wheelin' on the farm. And she can shoot, really, she was putting some serious Clint Eastwood on my .45. She found the recoil a little annoying, so we got that fixed with the .38. I have not shot it, but you can look at the bullets and see that the powder charge is about half of what a .45 is.

I got my wife a fnx-9 for Christmas. She picked it out so we have actually shot it already too. Lol. It is 9mm 17+1. Shoots like a dream.

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    It say's on it "security six". Ruger website sux or I would give you a direct link. But you can go with a .45 anyway, a man's hand can handle the recoil easily. Not really that bad. Plus you can get a .45 colt lever action rifle with the same ammo from marlin or rossi it looks like in the under $500 dollar range. I am thinking multiple coyote carcasses.

I am reading forums and such, the popular opinions seem to be .38 or shotguns for home defense. I also have a taurus JUDGE too I keep in my truck tool-box, loaded with .000 which is basically 5# .41 slugs per shot. Interesting gun[pistol], you can load out any .410 shot gun shell or a .45 Long colt.

I am thinking Santa Clause needs to bring Phrancis a Ruger blackhawk or super blackhawk .45 for Christmas. If he has been a good boy of course. Nothing wrong with a .38, but the .45 bullets looks twice as large and I want those.
    I have that EXACT SAME gun in a 4" barrel.

It is a FANTASTIC revolver. My "go-to" field stomping/deer hunting back-up gun.

Mine dates from the 70s, I think.

It has been out of production for a while, replaced by the GP-100 if I remember right.

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    i would whole-heartedly advise a Ruger Blackhawk if you're going with a .45Colt.

I've got a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley. The Blackhawk frame is strong. Stronger by FAR than the Single Action Army that were built for the original .45 round and that limit it's power.

I shoot a steady diet of handloads out of my Bisley that would grenade a SAA. When you pull the trigger, you KNOW that it went off.

It's what happens when a .44 magnum grows up.

I like that Blackhawk, very pretty. Thanks for the suggestion! Need to make a trip to a good gun range&store and try my hand at some revolvers.

Society has to be in a pretty bad state, when you got to buy your mother a gun for xmas to protect herself.
    I am glad I do not have to live in fear, for this to happen!
    PS enjoy "Sons of Guns"

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I have that EXACT SAME gun in a 4" barrel.

It is a FANTASTIC revolver. My "go-to" field stomping/deer hunting back-up gun.

Mine dates from the 70s, I think.

It has been out of production for a while, replaced by the GP-100 if I remember right.
    Nice gun, I wish I could own it, but it is a gift so I am going to have to let it go. I am going to miss it but it is for my mom. I am going to take it out to my place sure the sighting is correct. I hope I can do that without getting emotionally attached to the revolver.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast