Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    With all due respect to Maikerum, and someone who lives in the Philly suburbs, please don't call temps dropping down to 65 as "winter" . Although it does sound nice.
    Last edited by STEVEusaPA; 12-03-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Typo

Steve, they drop to 65 on the inside. Outside, it will be 20's or 30's. Not too bad, but not Hawaii.

Teddkidd, my gas and electric cost average $100 a month total. According to Duke Energy's user website, my energy use is 58% of typical for my size and age of house in Charlotte's climate. If everyone did what I did, or hired you to weatherize, we would have no energy issues in America. But it is labor and capital intensive, and most people don't think long term, unfortunately.

I would like to lower my high stage furnace CFM to drop the static pressure, but can't figure out how to do it with this Infinity thermostat, yet. As far as I can tell, I can choose between "comfort" and "efficiency" but can't figure out how to otherwise affect fan speed or cfm on high stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikerum View Post

Teddkidd, my gas and electric cost average $100 a month total. According to Duke Energy's user website, my energy use is 58% of typical for my size and age of house in Charlotte's climate. If everyone did what I did, or hired you to weatherize, we would have no energy issues in America. But it is labor and capital intensive, and most people don't think long term, unfortunately.
    Well, talk up the $800-$900 a year you are saving. Seems capital intensive NOT to do what you've done.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

NUTS, nothing more annoying than a link to a huge amount of reading. My apologies!!!!

http://bit.ly/danholohan1992allshookup

Scroll down to the article All Shook Up.

Look for the heading "Low Water Temps" which explains the motivation for Europeans to chase getting more BTU from combustion.

Also look for other great stuff like "
    Which only goes to prove that once you think you have it all figured out... you don't.
    "

And:
    From the beginning, the European heating engineers used wide temperature drops across their systems. Thirty-five to 40f is standard now. Her in the States, we typically work with 20f temperature drops. How come? Habit.
    Is this guy GREAT or what!?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Here's a GREAT article by Dan Holohan that helped put things into perspective for me:

http://bit.ly/danholohan1992
    i know its a OLD THREAD,but i saved that.and printed, for 3 days i read it before i leave my house , just wanted to share that ,thanks :^)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123