Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Health care

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Sorry to disappoint most of you but this is not about Obamacare. This is about present health care insurance companies. It is true example how they operate in a free market economy with disregard to human factor.
    A person that I know very well went to hospital for surgery. His insurance plan has $2,000.00 deductible.
    When hospital bill came in it stated that charges were $46,000.00. Adjustments were $-10,500.
    I guess that this number is what insurance co. knocked down from hospital charges, and people without insurance would be obligated to pay no matter what. Here is the kick. Insurance co. paid everything except $5,000.00.
    This leaves a patient with $3,000.00 in the hole. So what is a purpose of having insurance?
    The policy did not state that there will be more charges to patient than $2,000 deductible.
    I know that government should not regulate private business but this is different story. I believe that
    health care insurance companies should be regulated and if push comes to shove, the whole system should be change to a single payer system.
    I have insurance thru my employer and i will take a stab at the charges . First off insurance companies negotiate with health care providers for what they will pay for services and both sides agree to set fees . If you have no insurance than you pay that higher price . His policy has the 2000 dollar deductible which he must meet first but probally has a percent of the bill that he is responsible for also . If his plan is a 90/100 plan than he is responsible for 10 percent of total bill also . But every plan i have seen has a maximum out of pocket per year which in his case is probally 5000 a year . The reason to have insurance is so you dont owe the 46000 total . Now if you don't have insurance and cant pay the bill you either loose assets like your house or the bill is not paid and the cost is absorbed by the health care system which in turn raises heath care insurance rates . So the way i see it is the uninsured are being insured by those with insurance .

Quote Originally Posted by 54885488 View Post
    I have insurance thru my employer and i will take a stab at the charges . First off insurance companies negotiate with health care providers for what they will pay for services and both sides agree to set fees . If you have no insurance than you pay that higher price . His policy has the 2000 dollar deductible which he must meet first but probally has a percent of the bill that he is responsible for also . If his plan is a 90/100 plan than he is responsible for 10 percent of total bill also . But every plan i have seen has a maximum out of pocket per year which in his case is probally 5000 a year . The reason to have insurance is so you dont owe the 46000 total . Now if you don't have insurance and cant pay the bill you either loose assets like your house or the bill is not paid and the cost is absorbed by the health care system which in turn raises heath care insurance rates . So the way i see it is the uninsured are being insured by those with insurance .
    Sure. your insurance rates will drop like a rock when obanacare kicks in. Just wait.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Sure. your insurance rates will drop like a rock when obanacare kicks in. Just wait.
    Why do you think insurance rates are going to drop . Insurance rates have been on the rise for decades . Stop being an obama supporter !

I don't go to a hospital unless I am dying. Illegal aliens go if they have the sniffles. or are pregnant again. I pay for it now in a roundabout way, and will continue to pay for it under obamacare in a more direct way. One way or another they are coming after me, I will subscribe or pay the penalty tax. There is no realistic solution on the horizon. If you are a Belizian with tuberculosis, your best chance at living is to beat it to the USA for free treatment. Hatian or kenyan with aids, same deal.

I am screwed, odd, since I am not even sick,... but I guess that is the new way we are looking at things in the MODERN AMERICA. I kinda figured my own death to be in my sleep very old, or prescribed pain-killers if I come up with something soon, no miraculous modern treatment. Obama is the President. If he says I have to pay, then I have to pay.

I am going to stop here. Just sayin' there there is a huge black market in the USA. I can expand on that if provoked, but I do not want to go there or do that.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Why do you think insurance rates are going to drop . Insurance rates have been on the rise for decades . Stop being an obama supporter !
    I apologize buddy. I was trying to be sarcastic. I do expect insurance rates to increase, or medical services to drop dramatically. There has to be a balance some where. The feds are usually having an eye on my wallet, so it figures.

I agree there has to be a balance and time will tell .

If your buddy had no insurance he would have had to pay 45 thousand. That's why its better to have his insurance.

I agree there has to be a balance and time will tell .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqK97av7I3s

Here is your balance. Those yayhoos in washington are either going to have to cut spending or come clean out our pockets. more thoroughly. I expect the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    If your buddy had no insurance he would have had to pay 45 thousand. That's why its better to have his insurance.
    Sure, it is better to have health insurance. It is also better to have a new car.

Right now about $90 bi-weekly for both of us. It is a high deductible plan so much cheaper than full coverage

You won't die if you don't have a new car, you can die if you don't have health insurance.
    Always here

Obamacare - what a perfect example of an oxymoron.

Obama doesn't care about you, about me or about anyone for that matter. All be cares about is "humbling" America and its citizens, and knocking us down a notch - you know, he wants us to be more on par w/Europe and every other third-world nation including Kenya.

Now, about his healthcare plan, it's flawed from its foundation in such a fundamental way that it's not even worth saving (but it will be!). Just to name a few of my reasons why I hate it so much (and this is in no way an exhaustive list), is that it will force me, a Pro-Lifer, to pay for someone else's abortion, businesses and individuals will have to be taxed to oblivion to fund this disaster, and it's an attempt by Government to take the place of God.

I am sooooo against this disaster....
    WHY?

years ago I went in to the doctor about a problem. The doctor told me the cost would be 800 dollars. When he found out I had no insurance the cost dropped in half.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast